“Smoke Shack”

Ranked #114 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Waterloo, Iowa
“Smoke Shack”
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I was traveling cross country for work and saw the Super 8 Hotel and pulled over to get some rest. I have stayed at several Super 8 and Wyndham hotels in the past and have been plesantly suprised with the quality of their hotels. However last night was a blast from the past and a rare glimce into what I hope to never experience again. Upon arrival first they front desk wasn't very prompt. They were assisting another customer but seemed very confused on how their reservations got mixed up, so finally after about 10 minutes they straightened it out. Then they assisted me and asked if I wanted smoking or nonsmoking, I said nonsmoking not realizing I ulimately didn't have a choice. They gave me my room key and I proceeded to the second floor which once the elevator door opened smelled like an ash tray. I walked into my room hoping to escape the smell but sadly it lingered in the room as well as the sheets. I laid in bed and began to get a headache and nausious from the cigarette smell. I called the front desk and asked for another room. The gentleman come up and moved me 5 rooms down which wasn't far enough away b/c the smell still hung in the air and on the sheets. I was too tired at this point in time to do anything having had no luck in my previous attempt to escape the smell of smoke. I was able to get about 2 hours of sleep in the stink infested Super 8 hotel. I spoke with the front desk in the morning and explained the situation to them and the only thing they did was told me to go online and fill out this survey. No apology, no what can we do for you, nothing! You can bet that I will never stay at that hotel again and if you are a nonsmoker like I am, I would suggest you stay away as well.

Room Tip: Not the Super 8 in Albuquerque, NM
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael B
super8abqeast, Manager at Super 8 Albuquerque East, responded to this review, 17 January 2012
We apologize for the inconvenience and discomfort during your stay. The comfort of every guest is very important to us. It is our goal to not only meet but exceed expectations. Please be assured that every effort is being made to ensure the comfort of our guests. We appreciate your feedback, as it lets us know where we need to improve. Again, our sincere apologies for the discomfort during your stay and we hope you will give us another chance to serve you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I have stayed at this particular Super 8 Motel several times and will continue to do so in the future. The management and service at this Motel is excellent and extremely accommodating. The rooms are very clean, some with mountain views, and with an unbeatable price as well. The location is central to everything in Albuquerque. The motel also attracts very pleasant guests; a reflection of the motel staff, and facility. I highly recommend this particular Super 8 Motel for travelers staying or passing through Albuquerque.

Room Tip: Mountain view side of Motel has great views.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Grimes, Iowa
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Just a quick stop over to break a long trip up. This place was very clean and staff was great. Beds were comfortable and free breakfast had everything you needed. Free WiFi also. Would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 January 2012

The front clerk was friendly. The lobby was newly lipsticked but the rooms are old and dirty. I found a popcorn kernel in the sheets and the bathroom had stains on the walls. It is a warm place to sleep.

• Stayed January 2012
Amarillo
Reviewed 15 December 2011

This was our second stay at this motel. Everything was great again! Staff was very friendly and helpful. Room, hallways & breakfast area was nice and clean. We will return next year for our Christmas visit!!! Just a few common sense tips for travelers: #1. Don't leave stuff in your car. It doesn't matter what motel you stay at or what part of town..DO NOT leave stuff in your car!!! Not your suitcase full of dirty clothes, not your bags of trinkets and souvenirs..NOTHING. If you do, someone WILL break your window for it. #2. Do not stay at a budget motel and expect the Royal Penthouse Suite in Geneva....its just NOT going to happen. This is a really great motel, with a great staff, breakfast, a GOOD workout room and its clean...but its still a budget friendly, no frills Super 8. #3. If you feel your room is unsatisfactory for any reason, tell the front desk clerk. Normally, they will move you immediately. If that person won't help you, try to talk to the manager (there is usually a name plate somewhere with their name) and if THAT still doesn't work, call the 800 number and talk to corporate offices. They will usually resolve the problem, or move you to a different motel. If you STILL get no help, never stay there again and write a bad review on Tripadvisor! Just a few trips from a fellow traveler....

Room Tip: This Super 8 has rooms with 3 beds, 2 are in the main room and one is in a room off to the side. GR...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank texaskids4
denver
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Stayed at this hotel in early October. Monique, one of the staff people, was so helpful, always nice, with a great attitude. It's nice to stay at a hotel where people like her go the extra mile to make your stay enjoyable.

Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Arizona
Reviewed 20 October 2011

This was a overnight stay as we passed through. I would have not stayed at least in the room we were put in if it was more then a one night stay. I guess you get what you pay for but there is still no excuse for the smell. Also the beds were like sleeping on the floor. Really hard and small.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family