“The relaxing trip we were in need of”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Crescent City
Crescent Beach Motel
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Crescent City
Reviewed 28 September 2009

This was the second time I stayed at this motel and I will stay again. The rooms decor is a little dated, but that's ok with me. The rooms are clean and you get to look out on the ocean. The ocean is so close you can use it for a lulaby.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank time_off_today

Reviewed 27 September 2009

There had been several good reviews on this site so we decided to make our reservation despite being a little concerned by the poor website fo the motel. We were pleasantly surprised.

We were driving down from Vancouver, BC and were making a stop over on our way to Los Angeles. We wanted to see the Redwood Forest and Crescent City seemed the perfect place to start.

The view and the beach out front of our room were wonderful. We didn't hear the road traffic at all but the sound of the waves was something I'd never heard before so it took a bit of time to fall asleep. The rooms are definitely a bit dated but you can tell that the owners have in more recent years been doing some updates. The deck out front appeared to be quite new as did the shower walls and the curtains. Our room was very clean as were the grounds around the motel. The bed was okay but far from the best we'd ever slept on. However, being that we paid a little over a $100.00 for the room and factoring in the beautiful ocean, it was well worth it.

The couple at the front desk was pleasant and we have no complaints about the service.

Our only comment is the owner really needs to update their website.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RStar68
Reviewed 3 September 2009

We have never had worse service in our lives. They accused us of lying about how many guests we had. We reserved the room for my sister and her baby and the rest of us were going to camp. They were incredibly rude and condescending and I would never stay at this motel and make a point to tell others not to.

Stayed: June 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank lillylove82
Reviewed 7 August 2009

OK if you look at my other reviews of recent, you will notice that I basically went up the coast of California... guess what??? Of all the B&Bs, and other places that seemed to be more than this place.. this place ROCKS!
1. clean
2. RIGHT ON THE WATER
3. NO PRETENSE = no paying for things extra
4. Great free flowing shower!
5. front desk very nice
6. laid back
7. fast wifi
I will stay here again! Oh and Crescent City??? Great place! It's a working town vs. a tourist town! Good food as well as supermarkets, drug store etc..

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2009

I discovered this place from reading a Trip Advisor review and it was everything I hoped it would be! Right on the beach - a very romantic setting, it was perfect for us. The weather was warm and sunny and we ate our cheese/wine on the porch whilst chatting to our next door neighbour. I would definitely stay there again - for a longer stay next time. Local restaurants are good but a little expensive - only to be expected in a seaside town.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2009

We took a driving trip from the Bay Area up to Washington State and back along the coast. I turned to tripadvisor for hotel suggestions, and most of them were right on target. I could tell beforehand that Crescent City seems to be a tough destination- so many other places complained about mold and funky smells that I seemed to have not many choices. We were traveling with a toddler, which complicated things a little. The Crescent Beach Motel, like a number of other places I called, did not have cribs available. Of the places that I called, only the Hampton Inn had cribs, but they are at least one category up in terms of price level, and it didn't make sense to spend $$$ on a hotel room that we were only going to use during sleeping hours. So just because of this one motel, we had to bring a pack& play along for our son to sleep in.

So I booked a reservation at the Crescent Beach motel. The day of our reservation, I got a phone call from them, that their water had failed testing and was not drinkable. It was fine for showering, and they would provide bottled water, but we couldn't drink from the tap. Hmmm. We were on the road, and didn't want to have to hunt around Crescent City for lodging after we arrived, so we told her we would come anyway. Despite not having drinkable water, they didn't knock anything off the rate for the night, and it was a triple-digit rate, so I was expecting something more than what we got.

When we arrived to check in, the front desk folks were weirdly suspicious. They asked if we were traveling with pets. We said no. They said "you don't have a dog or cat in your car or anything, do you?" We said no, no pets. They said there is no smoking in the room. We said no problem, we don't smoke. They said " by no smoking, we mean no cigarettes, no incense, no candles, no open flames." We pointed to our toddler and said "we are not having open flames around a curious toddler, no way." But it was very odd and a little off-putting. And we had to sign a form acknowledging that we had been told no pets and no smoking! They may have had bad experiences with people in the past but treating your customers as if you expect them to lie to you sends a lousy message.

The room was clean. The decor was very dated. When I say "dated" I mean it looks like they did a renovation on the cheap sometime in the early 1980's. Also it was noisy. I knew the motel faces 101. What I didn't know is that all the rooms open on to a wooden porch in both front and back- on long porch, so everyone walking along past your door you hear the thump, thump, of their steps on the wooden porch.

So we paid in the low three digits for a room with no crib for our son, no drinkable water, and loud foot traffic. The pillows were hard and the bed was not comfortable. It was hands-down the worst value of any of the places we stayed on the trip.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank ambrosiamonkey
Reviewed 31 July 2008

We were delighted with our stay here. Staff was very friendly & helpful (even responding within minutes to vacuum after we unknowingly tracked sand burrs into the room!) Room was bright, clean, comfortable. Best of all was location -- our room faced the ocean with nothing between us & the water except some grass & the beach. The hotel provides comfortable chairs on the patio outside the room -- totally relaxing!

when reserving a room - ask for a room facing the water. the few rooms that face the highway would probably be disappointing.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 km away
Quality Inn & Suites Redwood Coast
34.5 km away
BEST WESTERN Beachfront Inn

Been to Crescent Beach Motel? Share your experiences!