“Peace & quiet - simply wonderful”
Review of StoneBrook Resort

StoneBrook Resort
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
London, United Kingdom
“Peace & quiet - simply wonderful”
Reviewed 13 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at Stonebrook from 9-11 April 2012 and we loved it! It was just out of season so was very quiet and we spent our evenings outside listening to the river bubbling past and watching the stars appear before our eyes (we live outside London so are not used to having such dark skies). It was everything we hoped for, and more.

Mike is lovely: very friendly and gave us some great tips on where to go in the RMNP. We wouldn't have visited Bear Lake if Mike hadn't suggested it, and we're so glad we did as it was simply beautiful (thanks Mike!) We had an issue with our hire car and Mike had no problem at all with us using his phone, offering to charge our GPS (yes, the hire company had provided GPS for a 16-day hire without a charger!) and doing anything he could do assist.

The room was lovely, the bed was very comfortable and we just loved the hot tub!

Downtown Estes is quite pretty, although it seems to be 90% gift shops - but that's okay as we were on holiday so were looking to buy keepsakes. Loved the Christmas decoration shop!!!

I would say if you're looking for a short break away from real life, go to Stonebrook. So, you might not get internet connection, but for us that was a bonus! It's a lovely place, Mike's a lovely guy and it's in a great location to visit RMNP which is quite simply breathtaking!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Korean first
Litle Rock, AR
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I spent the night of May 5th in Room 9B at Stonebrook, and I loved the ambiance of the property and of the room, which was quite large and had a queen bed, kitchen, jacuzzi, and large bathroom! I drove up without a reservation, and Mike was so helpful and generous in getting me settled into the right space! My room overlooked the river, and the wonderful deck had a table and two chairs and a grill!
There are swings and hammocks and chairs out on the lawn by the river! I was looking for a quiet place with no children or lots of noise, and this was the perfect spot! And the location is excellent for a visit to Rocky Mountain National Park!
Although my visit was much too short, I have to say that I will definitely return to Stonebrook Resort the next time I visit Estes Park!

Room Tip: The web site has an excellent description of all of the rooms! I did not see a cabin, as they were...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Colorado Springs, Co
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I have been going to this place since 1980, I stayed in cabin number 12 then, which is number 8 now. The price was 49.95, I stayed in the same cabin last May and the price was 300.00, quite a jump in price. I have stayed many times over the years and have noticed the place has many upgrades but give the impression they are not so family friendly anymore. Not blatantly so, just underlining. If you are there as a romantic couple it is good but I think families would be better off somewhere else. I think it is too expensive and that they are trying to get upper income people verses normal family income people. I believe the Barkers were the previous owners and were a family who liked other families. Now it is different, not so family friendly as before. I believe I will be going to Estes Park again this year and I will try to find a more reasonable place which is family friendly as I still have 4 children at home. This will be a first for me as I have always camped on Long's peak or stayed at the Trails West on the River as it once was called.

Room Tip: If you have children, stay in number 8 as it is separate from the others
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank John W
Pueblo Colorado
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Hubby and I stayed in #7, very romantic. After looking around the property, any of the cabins would have worked for us. Each with it's own hot tub, and outdoor deck were nice. We've stayed other places in Estes Park in the past, but we really enjoyed the location of Stonebrook. Being able to hike right off the property, the river right outside our cabin, the proximity to both RMNP and Estes Park were convenient. Plus Mike was both helpful and accommodating. As far as WIFI, we weren't able to connect, but who cares? We were trying to get away for the weekend, and not having WIFI just wasn't important enough to ruin our weekend. Our room was clean and well equipped. Thanks for the hospitality, Mike....We'll be back.

Room Tip: We met the people in #1 and I really liked the set up in that cabin the best.
3 Thank lmares1968
Bavaria
Reviewed 26 April 2012

My husband and I decided to stay at the Stonebrook resort on our way to RMNP after seeing the Elk grazing in their front yard. It was the best decision ever! The lodging was beautifully decorated in a rustic moutain-lodge theme. The deck looked over the river, a little wood and the elk that were grazing close by. It was incredibly secluded and romantic, especially in April since it is low season and we had the resort to ourselves. Our host went out of his way to make our visit pleasant and comfortable, and provided lots of helpful information about the local area and things to do during the evenings in the park - not that it was needed since we could have spent all evening around the lodge, grilling and using the hottub and we would have been just as happy!

Best features: Location, decor, seclusion, outdoor hottub, service
Least: Bed was a little too soft, but this is a personal opinion

The lodges are close enough to the RCNP to use as a hub while exploring the park in the day time. I would reccommend to anyone and would definately visit again! Thanks for a great trip!

Room Tip: Get one overlooking the creek out back. It's very romantic
2 Thank HollyBavaria
Denver
Reviewed 24 April 2012

What can I say, we've spent over $1,500 staying at this place over the past five years.

I'm not sure when the new owner took over, but Mike is a complete idiot. Rude, unaccommodating jerk. This was not the case during our first two visits with previous owners.

We thought we'd give the place one last chance, and booked another trip for May 4th and 5th. The online booking took our reservation for two adults and two children, the same as it's been since 2005.

We were informed that our children were no longer welcomed. We booked cabin 8, which is completely separate from all other rooms and cabins.

The only thing I can think of, is that the reviewer "jvogts" is either part of Mike's family, or Mike himself.

Book this at your own risk. There's plenty of other Estes lodging that will treat you like valued guests.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
18 Thank nealatthewheel
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed in #2 for our Anniversary in April and it was nice, little kitchen, comfy large bed, jacuzzi tub and hot tub outside. Its right on the way to RMNP so it's handy. We did a little fishing (didn't catch anything, or see one fish, but I'm sure they were in there somewhere!) and hiking on the property, peaceful and pretty. All in all I'd say a nice stay. There were a few things we didn't care for, and I suppose it depends on the person, but we had NO internet service. It said free wifi, but the signal did NOT reach to our cottage, this was a pain. Not handy when trying to use internet to plan your trip into the park. There were a few minor things that didn't work, the TV remote didn't work well at all in this cottage (volume and channels almost impossible to change), the kitchen faucet leaked, the lightbulbs in the bathroom were burnt out and had been left unchanged. The bathroom is tiny, and the air vent on the wall was hanging out of the wall sideways. The hot tub outside on our deck was very clean and nice to sit in at night, lots of nice big towels were provided as well as robes. The floor in the cabin was hardwood, but seemed pretty dirty as it made the bottom of my socks really gross. All in all, we enjoyed our stay, but felt like maybe since we had come in the off season the cabin hadn't been maintained the way it normally was? Not sure. Not big things, just little things we noticed.

Room Tip: Next time I'd choose #8 or #1 or #5
2 Thank dryfly412