“Excellent meal, but was too full for dessert!”
Review of Al Forno

Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Fox Point
Description: telephone #401-273-9760Fodor's choice star rating
Reviewed January 15, 2018

We were here for work, so I have no idea of the cost for the meal, but mains were approximately $30. My boss decided to go for pizza's for starters, which may have been overdoing it, but they were delicious. I shared two mains with a colleague, we had lamb meatball lasagna and lamb chop. Both were absolutely delicious. And that was sadly where I had to stop. We ordered dessert, but honestly, apart from being full, they were huge and incredibly heavy. I ordered the icecream sandwich, which I hadn't appreciated would be chocolate icecream, sandwiched between 2 chocolate cookies. Very dense and heavy, so left it completely, but it doesn't take away from the overall quality of the meal. Lively atmosphere, the restaurant appeared to be packed. Really fun night!

Reviewed January 3, 2018

What had been a favorite restaurant in the 80s has lost its magic. We've tried it three times in last few months, and have walked away disappointed every time. Last night the linguine with egg, pancetta, and arugula was not only not good, it left me feeling sick (bad, too raw egg?). The potatoes that came with my son's half-chicken were raw and inedible (the chicken wasn't bad, but nothing so special as to deserve the high prices). Even the dessert crepes were dull (how do you screw up nutella and creme anglaise?!) and the whipped cream tasted watery.The waitstaff has always been professional and attentive, maybe even a bit too.

It was a good run, but might be time to try something new (and/or lower their prices to match the quality).

Reviewed December 6, 2017 via mobile

There were four of us at a round table upstairs in the first room on the left) after the bar. There are two small rooms with quite a few tables close by. There were a lot of people in the small room. It was SO loud, I couldn't hear the people on either side of me. It was so frustrating for us to keep repeating ourselves and straining to hear. It made dinner so much less enjoyable. We ordered the pumpkin pizza ($21.95) which I thought was a bit soggy and fair at best, the Caesar salad and a "special salad", both good ($14.95). The roasted vegetable entree was good ($20.95). For dessert we shared the ice cream sandwich ($12.95). The prices are high for what you get and the noise level made it unenjoyable.

Reviewed December 6, 2017

We were a party of four so no reservations. Seated at a table in the Bar area, which was noisy and not conducive to relaxed conversation. Also right next to. Booth then bathroom doors and the handicapped entrance. For a restaurant in this price range, there should be no dinner seating in this area.
That said, the food was excellent, with creative shades and sauces. The chocolate cake was exceptionally delicious.
Entrees are almost all in the $30 range, and then restaurant is nicely decorated, so pick your table well so that you can linger and enjoy the food- and conversation.

Reviewed November 26, 2017

Food, atmosphere, service, all were spectacular. We arrived very early by dinner standards and did not have any wait. However, they have a reputation of long waits, especially on weekends. They do not take reservations for parties under 6 people. Our server, Jake, was very attentive, supremely knowledgeable, but not in our face. We started with the ultra thin crust Mushroom Duxelle pizza which had such an amazing taste and texture profile to be a real winner. I enjoyed the cod special which was a thick piece perfectly cooked and prepared with mushrooms in a mirepoix white wine reduction and served with tender fingerling potatoes and sauteed chard and spinach with a lemon dressing that was awesome. Every bite was heavenly. My wife enjoyed the scallops - caramelized and stacked on a parsnip puree. My son had the veal. Every plate was completely cleaned. No one had room for dessert. Jake made one small error - a misunderstanding over which wine we had selected. We didn't realize the error until the bill came at the end, but he immediately owned the issue, spoke to the manager and made a price adjustment with no questions asked. We are definitely going back very soon.

1  Thank Remdawg30