“Fantastic Ranch, but Thieves are Prowling” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Tanque Verde Ranch
Ranked #29 of 127 Hotels in Tucson
New York City, New York
“Fantastic Ranch, but Thieves are Prowling”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

A fantastic holiday for the whole family (with a major caveat (discussed at the end of this review)) -- the kids program keeps the children active and engaged all day, teaching them to ride and giving them the confidence to compete on horseback after only five days (even our five year old son!). Tons for the adults to do as well -- riding, hiking, mountain biking, swimming, tennis... The food is of remarkably high quality; we looked forward to all three meals and the cookouts. The staff is uniformly friendly and welcoming, particulary the kids program leaders. However, someone there is evil. Our only complaint, and it is a major one, is theft. We left our Nikon D50 camera in the game room late one evening, and by the following morning it was gone. Stupid, yes, but the ranch is reasonably remote, so it was clearly staff or a guest who stole it. Management was vaguely sympathetic but did nothing to help us find the camera. Not only did we lose the camera, but also all our pictures in its memory. Offers of rewards and calls for a police report did nothing to spur the staff to action. We were very disappointed by this tremendous blot on an otherwise very enjoyable vacation. If you do choose to visit Tanque Verde, don't count on being surrounded by honest people -- there's at least one rotten apple in that bunch!

Room Tip: Careful not to get one of the older rooms
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Harry10021
Nicholas_Gold, General Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 1 April 2012
It is great to know that your family had a wonderful time but I am sad that this one thing marred your vacation. It is not that management did not care (me); it is just that I cannot go around asking my guests if they took a camera left overnight in the game room. Many people at Tanque Verde, staff and guest alike, hand in items of great value, from diamond rings to wads of cash. It is unfortunate that this happened but I hope you will return to re-fill a different memory card.
Nicholas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

This was my 3rd visit to Tanque Verde Ranch and we made reservations for our next visit while checking out. This is the only "outdoor" type vacation that has something for everyone in my family to do. My husband enjoys the moutain biking, teenage daughter loves riding and tennis, and son loves the conitnous action of the kids program. Knowing that everyone is entertained, lets me have a choice of joining them or going to the spa or hiking.

The food is great - possibly the best biscuits I have ever had!

Room Tip: The suites with the murphy beds are spacious for a family - room 65 has a magnificent jet/spa tub.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I thank you for 3 and look forward to seeing you all again for 4 when we have added even more activities to the list and tried not to mess with the biscuits.
Cheers
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I recently came back from a trip to the Tanque Verde Ranch in Tucson Az. I was so impressed by the staff. From the front desk, dining room, activities and wranglers all went out of their way to make the experience enjoyable. It was a treat to see people who so enjoyed their work and put the clients first. They couldn't do enough for the guests and in today's world that is becoming rare. Along with excellent food and many activities to choose from the vacation was all I hoped it would be. Douglas Kline Chalfont, Pa

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank DouglasK4414
Nicholas_Gold, General Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Douglas,
Thank you very much for recognizing the staff attitude. Although most people enjoy every day that they are here they still work hard to give our guests the "ranch" experience.
Cheers
Sutton, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

We will definitely be going back again and have recommended this place to others as well. Even our teenagers had a great time and said they want to come back. Kelsey, Mike and Marty were outstanding. The food was excellent, you will never walk away hungry. You could be busy all day with various activities or spend it by the heated pool, something for everyone. The only two problems I had were: 1) The room was not in good condition, especially compared to the photos on the website. We did ask for a picture of the room and never received it and now we know why. It was not a room I would let people stay in until it was as updated/repaired to the level of the other rooms. We loved the location of it but definitely not the condition. 2) The lope check seemed arbitrary. I saw people that passed and in my opinion shouldn't have (and I have been riding for 30+ years). There were people that didn't pass but should have when compared to others that did. One woman admitted she did not pass the lope check but went out on lope rides anway. If you are going to require a lope check there should be a way to let the wranglers know who passed and who didn't.

2 Thank Jill C
Jill
Thank you for mentioning the food,t.
As far as the rooms are concerned we are progressing through them with a renovation program. This year we are working on the bathrooms.
I appreciate the input on the lope checks and we are continually looking about how we can improve so any feedback is welcome.
Please feel free to contact me directly with this
Thanks
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

We took our friends to dinner because we had been impressed with the lunches. I was so disappointed. We had actually considered this place for our daughters wedding. Our dinner seemed to be the left overs from their lunch. Our salads were very small and the lettuce was very old. When we showed it to the waitress the reply was it had been on the grill. My prime rib was over half fat, husband scallops were placed on a grits based paste that was not very good, friends chicken was dried up and her husbands ($35 hamburger) was overcooked and on dry bread. My pecan pie must have been a week old and the crust was so tough that you could not cut it with a knife. The service was very bad. We will never go back

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank tish t
I always like to respond in a positive manner to people who have had genuine issues with the Ranch.
Please look at all the comments about the food posted in the past few months.
Thanks
West Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

My family and I just returned from a great vacation at Tanque Verde Ranch. Will definitely need a few days to recover — this was an ACTIVE vacation. From horseback riding and mountain biking to fishing, golfing and hiking, we did a lot. In fact, we were in bed by 9:00 most nights, thoroughly exhausted from a full day out in the desert sun.

The grounds are beautiful and the rooms are very nice, with beautiful views of the surrounding mountains, spacious accommodations and satellite radio. It was nice that they offered wifi, although it was pretty spotty at times. The outdoor pool was very popular with our kids...it was heated to a very comfortable temperature.

Meals were very good. My kids loved the breakfast buffet, and the desserts at lunch. The dinner menu offered several appetizing choices every evening, with some "standards" that were always an option, like the delicious ranch burger. My wife and I enjoyed stopping by the saloon before dinner to get a couple of beers while the kids snacked on popcorn.

Everyone at the ranch, from the wait staff to the employees at the front desk, was very warm, friendly and helpful.

My only suggestions are centered around the corral and the horseback riding. For first-timers, the corral was a rather intimidating and confusing experience if you wanted to take a lesson or go on a ride. Often, there was a crowd gathered, waiting to get saddled up for various rides, and nobody to talk to or ask for help, since the wranglers were so busy getting horses ready. I'd suggest having designated waiting areas clearly marked for different activities, so you know where to wait and that someone will eventually help you.

The other suggestion would be to have more family-centered rides and activities. Two of our daughters were in the age range for the kids' program and were forced to split off from us to do rides and other activities. We could join them on the kids' rides, but a couple of times that was a confusing process and we didn't even end up riding with the right kids. It would be great if there were more options for families to stick together and do more together.

All in all, though, it was a very fun trip and definitely something we'd love to do again.

1 Thank patedugan
Nicholas_Gold, General Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Patrick
I am please your family enjoyed the vacation and I thank you for the suggestions in the corral,
The video you made is fabulous; if you get a chance attach it to this review.
Hope to see you all again soon.
Lexington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Just spent the last week as a family getting away from winter in the Northeast. Well, we'll be coming back! Outstanding service, excellent food, and an attention to detail that would put some "Leading Hotels of the World" to shame. Both our daughters who had not ridden much before came away with more confidence and ability than we might have expected over just a short stay. We already miss the people...and the horses...particularly Chip....

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Nicholas_Gold, General Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
I thank you very much for your review.
It is indeed the people that make a difference: having managed a "Leading Hotel of the World", I will agree that the staff at Tanque Verde are as willing as any that I have ever worked with. They ARE the difference.
I look forward to seeing yourselves and your daughters back soon.