“A family tradition for 43 years and going strong...”
Review of Tanque Verde Ranch

Tanque Verde Ranch
Ranked #32 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Orlando, Florida, United States
“A family tradition for 43 years and going strong...”
Reviewed 2 May 2012

A family tradition for 43 years and going strong...

I first went to the ranch when I was 4 years old. That was 43 years ago. Since then I have been fortunate to have returned many times. Bob Cote and his staff have not just been great hosts, they have treated me like family. I was a little jealous when I realized that that's how they treat everyone and not just me.

You may be suspicious of my reasons for giving five stars for all of the categories but I can tell you with all honesty that those ratings are well deserved. I have travelled to many 5 star resorts and the quality of the experience at those do not meet what's in store for you at Tanque Verde. If you are expecting room service and a chocolate on your pillow you should find another vacation destination, this place is not for you. However, if you are looking for a fun, adventurous, family oriented vacation with plenty of amazing activities to keep you occupied then make your reservations early.

Did I mention the food? This was my only complaint - they feed you into submission. I left Arizona with a feeling that I had eaten all of the bacon in the state. The chefs prepare some of the best food I've ever had at a place like this. Each meal is a new surprise but you can always count on the prime rib if nothing else appeals to you for dinner. Vegetarian options are always available and special requests are gladly honored.They even have a dedicated pastry staff that creates a treasure trove of sweet delights to keep you going back for more. (They even have sugar free items for those that have special dietary needs). Every week you'll be treated to a meal down at the Cottonwood Grove, one day for lunch and another for a Cowboy Cookout dinner. The cookout is a festival with fire grilled steaks, chicken, ribs, burgers, dogs, corn, beans, all manner of salads. There's a bar for the grownups and lasso practice for the kids. Deserts are plentiful too with some form of wonderfulness. This last trip had a cobbler made in cast iron skillets that made people's eyes roll back in their heads. All of this is set to live music and on cold nights, roaring campfires.
Twice a week you can mount a horse in the morning and head up to the old ranch house for the Breakfast Ride. You can walk there too. Up there you'll find the owner, Bob Cote, making the best blueberry pancakes you've ever had in your life. He's been doing this for 45 years and will tell you that he's never had a promotion. A sumptious breakfast buffet is there for you including those delicious pancakes as well as eggs (regular scrambled or my favorite - ranch eggs with chillies and cheese), sausage, the best bacon in the world and more. After you've had enough to fill an army you can rely on your horse to get you home. (If you walked up don't worry, it's downhill back to the ranch.)

While we're on the topic of walking, I have to give them kudos for the extra special treatment they gave us on this recent trip. My 75 year old mother came along and she has a lot of trouble walking. No problem! The ranch staff was available 24-7 to give us a golf cart ride from anywhere to anywhere at any time. This is a service that they provide with a smile and it's just a phone call away. We were worried that our room was too far from the main dining hall that it would be difficult for Mom to get back and forth. Problem eliminated. So much appreciated!

So let's face it, this ranch is centered around horseback riding, western style. Be sure to come with jeans and a good pair of sneakers or boots. Don't forget your hat and sunglasses - it can get pretty bright on the trail. The wranglers are experts and will match you with an animal that suits you. Walking rides are very pleasant and easy going but if speed is more to your liking you'd better have your wits about you. These folks are all about safety above all else. You will need to pass a "lope check" before they let you go out on the fast rides and it's not a walk in the park. Don't fret if you don't get the green light the first time. They have all levels of instruction to help you get ready for the trail from beginner to intermediate and advanced. They even have personalized private horsemanship lessons that you can schedule for an extra fee.

If you get tired of riding or you are just not a horse person, there is still plenty for you to do. Interested in mountain biking? The biking department has tons of trails mapped out and an expert guide will take you out through the brush for an invigorating workout. They just installed a "pump track" which is supposedly really cool but sadly I am way out of condition for mountain biking so this was not for me.

If that is not your cup of tea, the Nature Center schedules several daily hikes and strolls through the desert. The hikes are amazing. This is where I spend most of my time. Hiking up into the Saguaro National Park is a treat and a privilege. The scenery is stunningly beautiful and affords you time to see things you would normally miss while atop a horse. Bring your camera on these walks. You never know what you'll come across. Remember, this is a natural, wild environment and all manners of desert creature live here and you are in their home. However, every single snake I have ever encountered (which were few and far between) were all too happy to ignore me or slink away. The Ranch Naturalists are veritable encyclopedias of information and can give you answers to just about any question you can dream up as well as provide you with endless entertaining local lore.

Lastly, this is a great place to bring your kids. I can personally tell you this from a kid's perspective. Being a child at the ranch was a magical experience for me. As a kid I was eager to ride and ride and ride. I was all decked out in boots and hat and loved playing cowboy. The wranglers were friendly and did everything they could to help realize this fantasy. I participated in the "Funkanas", horse competitions involving running around barrels and poles. Receiving a ribbon for participating was especially thrilling. These competitions continue today and have been extended so adults have their own events as well. There are now team penning games where you herd cattle into pens from horseback for the best time. All of this can be done under your supervision or you can leave your child under the supervision of the excellent Kids Program staff. They have specially designed programs for youngsters including their own dining room. I was a little shy at first when I was a kid but once I warmed up to it I had a blast.

After your long day of riding, walking, eating and sitting by the pool, you can be sure to be treated to a beautiful sunset over the corral. There is always some evening activity planned - it might be a naturalist showing local wildlife, it could be dance lessons, it could be a starlight movie, it might even be Bingo (I had finally won after playing there after 30 years!). After this, if you're not completely exhausted, it's time to unwind in the Dog House, the local saloon on the Ranch, where you can grab a beer or cocktail or one of their signature margaritas made with agave nectar.

All in all this is a truly unique place that you will remember for a lifetime and will vow to return to on the sad day that you have to check out.

4 Thank Adam J
GeoffreyFCampbell, Director of Operations at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 27 May 2012
Wow! What awesome feedback! Thank you so much for the strong legacy! I also would like to voice a complaint about the food; it is addictive! At least there is a lot of space to stay active out here right? I am glad I get to be a part of your experience. We live for this type of feedback. A lot can happen in 43 years. I am so glad that we continue to exceed all of your expectations. I cannot wait to see you soon! Thanks again for your loyalty and the memories!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2012

My husband and I spent a week riding at the ranch and we did not want to leave.

We rode every day, ate like kings, slept like babies and drank like alcoholics.

The staff were attentive and nothing seemed to much trouble. The room (room 12) was fab with a real working fire and his and her's sinks.

Apart from riding there were plenty of other activities such as hiking, mountain biking, fishing and bird watching.

The pools were empty most of the time so spending time alone was not a issue.

The "dog house" made cocktails to order. I would defiantly recommend the "dirty spur",

The worst thing about the ranch was having to leave.

We will be back

Room Tip: We had room 12 which had 2 double beds, a dining table and chairs and a working fire place.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jackie S
GeoffreyFCampbell, Director of Operations at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Thank you for your "amazing" review!

The "dirty spur" is a classic.

I am so glad that you and your husband had a great time.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Gravesend, Kent
Reviewed 27 April 2012

As someone who has been a keen rider my whole life and has always dreamt of going to a ranch, Tanque Verde had a lot to live up to. I am pleased to say it met my expectations and more!

The riding opportunities are excellent - I took full advantage and rode 3 times a day. The horses are responsive and the wranglers were great and full of personality - they always made an effort to match you to a horse that would suit you and were great fun to be around. Despite what I have read in some other reviews, the lope check was relatively straightforward for a competent rider and the lope rides were brilliant. I travelled with my partner who was only a beginner but he loved the walking rides and got involved with the team penning which was great. Also, make sure you take part in the Funkhana if you want to give barrell racing a try!

The staff were the most friendly and helpful I have ever come across and a special mention should go to Lisa the barmaid who made the quiet evenings in the Doghouse Saloon extremely entertaining!

I am itching to book another trip to Tanque Verde! It is easy to see why so many of the other guests we met out there were returning after many visits.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank J0Kelly
GeoffreyFCampbell, Director of Operations at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
I am so glad we exceeded your expectations! Thank you so much for your review and thank you for staying with us. We are anxious for you to return as well. We are constantly working on ways to improve everyday. See you soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 April 2012

There have been many exceptionable reviews of the Tanque Verde Resort in Tripadvisor, and, indeed it was many of those reviews which persuaded my wife and I to spend five nights and six days there in early March. This dude ranch (resort) is so diverse that it appeals to a varied array of travelers. We met singles, young families with young children, families with teenagers, honeymooners, grandparents with their entire extended families; to the person, they were having the time of their lives! With so many terrific reviews by all sorts of guests, I will restrict this review to our experience and perspective as two seasoned travelers in our mid sixties looking for something different.

I am sixty-seven, my wife sixty-six, we are retired and have stayed in 4 & 5 star hotels and resorts all over the world. We have been on many Crystal cruises, and whether for business or pleasure, we have simply been fortunate to experience the finest in travel during the past forty years. I mention this background only to give you the context of how we would evaluate a resort. Believe me, when you accept the fact that a dude ranch is a completely different environment than a say a Ritz Carlton resort, and its approach and mission is, therefore completely different, after a stay there I think you will say that you enjoyed the Tanque Verde as much as any 5 star resort or cruise.

My wife loves horses and and has wanted to go to a dude ranch for years. When I finally said yes she researched the best (four spur) ranches with warm climate for early March and chose the Tanque Verde. We had trepidations. Would there be too many kids? (We have been there, done that) Would the food be good? What about the rooms? Would we like the people? What about the several negative reviews in Tripadvisor? Would this really be a luxury resort?

It only took a few hours for those fears to be extinguished. We arrived at 10:00 AM, checked in right away and our room was ready (Here’s a tip--it doesn’t matter if the room isn’t ready as long as you have your jeans & boots ready to go. You can eat and partake in the riding immediately. The room will not matter). The upgrade didn’t hurt and it was one of the largest suites we have ever stayed in. We had a private patio that overlooked the desert and the national park., huge bathroom and working fireplace in the living room. The next surprise was lunch, partially a buffet, with casual waiter service in the magnificent dining room. Food was great. We noticed that there were almost no children in the dining room; it was then we were informed that they had a separate dining room. For two adults always looking for restaurants and hotels without children, we were never in way bothered by the many kids that were there that week. (Children had planned activities separated from the adults) Dinner was a again a real surprise, the food was as good as any five star resort, the only difference was the service was much more casual (at dinner there were white table cloths and no buffet); not less professional, just more casual. But remember, this is a dude ranch, you can have dinner in your jeans! We really enjoyed the the many guests we met. We started with a table for two, but soon migrated to one of the many large “communal” tables to dine with the many people we met.

We loved the riding. And do not give a thought to your skill level; we were beginners and had a ball. Riding into the mountains for the blueberry breakfast is not to be forgotten. I’m a fly fisherman and loved just standing by the small pond and casting for bass; I did it every day.The wranglers were all professional, experienced and friendly. We especially liked Martin. All of the staff was just great. But how often do you come back from a ride and the GM is in the stable waiting to help you off your horse, Nicholas Gold is that kind of GM. One of the most attentive and good natured I have ever met. Leigh-Ann Kindberg, the Director of Guest Services was a true saint. Whether it was the great room, ready when we got there, or the riding boots waiting for my wife, Leigh-Ann was a real professional. There was nothing we needed that was not provided instantly.

When we first saw the pricing we thought it looked a bit expensive. But, with everything that ended up being included, when we left, we thought it was a great bargain. If you are looking for that western experience of your dreams you will not be disappointed!! A final thought. Earlier I mentioned a few negative reviews in Tripadvisor; I can only think that those people went to a different ranch. Not only did we have zero complaints, but we spoke to no one who had any issues whatsoever. Ignore those comments and you too will have the time of life!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BostonTraveler61
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us a thorough review.

Leigh-Ann and Nicholas are truly exceptional! Thank you for your positive feedback about our staff and services.

We think of ourselves as very unique in regards to experiences we offer, but consider our professionalism and service levels among the very best in the Hospitality Industry.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your return.
WILTSHIRE
Reviewed 19 April 2012

My family of 9 spent 3 days (over the Easter Holidays) of a 15-day Arizona road trip at Tanque Verde and of the 10 locations we visited and stayed at, Tanque Verde was our favourite. We all agreed that this made the holiday a holiday of a lifetime and we are already planning our return.

Travelling with Olds and Youngs and varying energy levels is challenging but the ranch provided a good mix of activities for all. The children were well catered for and even our 3 year old was able to attend the club accompanied by an adult - which was great as her 6 year old twin sisters were in the club and they were not separated.

"Ride him like you stole him" became our catch phrase! Rebecca, Dante, Jonathan, Ashley - all of the Wranglers were wonderful. My mum is a large lady and there was no judgement or embarrassment for her with this amazing team. They helped her retain her dignity, really looked after her and gave plenty of encouragement when it came to the riding - it made her holiday and I'm very grateful.

The food was great - considering they cater for so many. The buffets were better than the a la carte as there was a big delay when we went. But the food was lovely when it came. Breakfasts are hearty and they even made a special effort to get some Goat Milk in for me and my daughter who cant have cows product - this is just the kind of special touch that makes Tanque Verde better. Even the Bellagio in Vegas wouldn't do that!

The whole experience was incredible - hiking, mountain biking, riding, children's club, even water aeorobics etc but I cant help but feel there could have been a little more variety on offer. For example, buggy rides for less able people so they could get out and explore, a clay pigeon shoot (maybe they cant because of the noise for the horses?) or even a target area with bows/arrows. I'm not trying to turn it into an activity centre but a couple of complementary activities would be great as there is such a big emphasis on the programme.

The only critique I would give would be the rooms - rather more the bathrooms. Yes, they are meant to be rustic and I get that the property is older (& lovely!) but the toiletries were very basic and its an easy win to provide good quality toiletries and the water wasn't always hot for a shower. The grout was a little tired for example. The fridge in the room was great as were the linen, beds, large wardrobe and blankets but again, something as simple as the shower curtain being less basic is an easy win. I think a tiny bit more effort into the rooms/bathrooms would go a long way. I can see from the other reviews that this is a key point being made.

I'd like to thank Nicholas and the team for such a memorable stay and we look forward to receiving yet another heart felt & warm welcome when we return. We miss you already!

Room Tip: We had a room in a Court Yard away from the main bustle. This was good for us.
1 Thank SHEENAGILL
GeoffreyFCampbell, Director of Operations at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
I am so flattered that we were your favorite! I specifically remember our Chef rushing out to get your goat milk. I apologize about the delay with the food; we will work on making our food and beverage options more efficient. In regards to providing more activities, we are constantly looking for ways to improve our programming. Thank you for your suggestions. We are currently remodeling our bathrooms; we agree they needed refreshing. I am glad that this adventure was Evie's best time ever. I cannot wait for you to return to make your next stay even better. We will see you soon!
Silver Spring
Reviewed 15 April 2012

While my husband was deployed he begged me to find a family vacation where we would "Do Something". Normally, I plan beach vacations, cruises, or group tours. We found Tanque Verde through an internet search and I was impressed by the number families who return year after year. The best review I can give is to say that we already booked our trip for next spring break. I think we, too, will be one of those families where Tanque Verde will become a family tradition.

The kids program is top notch. They go above and beyond in making sure your child is safe on the horses. My children (age 6 and 9) made friends that they still talk about and want to visit. I spent most of my day horse riding (and I hadn't been on a horse in over 30++ years). I immediately fell in love and started taking horseback riding lessons on my return home. The wranglers really make the program. They put safety first while making the experience fun and the surroundings are breathtaking. The mountain ride was probably my favorite second to the lope rides. When we weren't horseback riding we took part in the hikes. I was impressed with the naturalist knowledge, and, their incredible skills in dealing with children. Rick (one of the naturalist) dealt with my 6 yr old son who was holding a snake and my 9 yr old daughter who was crying in the corner in fear of snakes. By the end of the week, even my 9 yr old daughter was touching the snakes. Janys led a fabulous and educational hike on "Food and Pharmacy in the Desert". My husband was able to mountain bike....and they even added an additional advanced bike ride recognizing his love for biking.

Tanque Verde is more than a ranch, it is a community. Nick (the general manager) was literally everywhere helping with horses, serving pancakes, in the gift shop, nature center, etc always trying to get to know our family and make our stay the best. The front desk staff are of the highest quality. Juan went out of his way to help me buy boots for my husband. The entire front desk staff was incredibly accommodating and very friendly.

We stayed in Room 56. It was a corner suite. The room was above average and probably the only thing on the ranch that could be improved. The beds were comfortable, and, to be honest we fell asleep soundly every night. The master bedroom had a queen bed and the living room had 2 full size couches that pulled out into beds. I think the bathrooms (which are more than adequate) need updating and I heard that is a work in progress. Believe me, this is very minor feedback as we did not spend anytime in the room. We recognize this is a ranch. We really enjoyed the patio off our room for a glass of wine while the kids were sleeping.

We can't wait to return next year! Our family has been on Disney cruises and has traveled around the world. This, by far, has been our best vacation in balancing family time, activities for everyone, and high quality staff. You can't go wrong with this vacation...if only we could find a way to not make a 51 week interval between trips!

3 Thank Coopdedo
GeoffreyFCampbell, Director of Operations at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Wow! Thank you so much for your feedback. The Kids program is truly spectacular. Kids and Parents agree it is way cool and truly connects kids with something special that they cannot get anywhere else in the World. Sharing your feedback with the team is truly exciting; you should see the smiles you bring to all of our faces. It is really neat to see our guests taking it all in and having a truly memorable experience. And yes, you heard correctly, we are making some improvements in our guestrooms. We'll see you next Spring!
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 12 April 2012

The good:
- staff is very friendly and everything is well organized
- small and intimate feel even when fully booked, everyone will know your name after just a few days
- the community feel, it's super easy to meet and hang out with strangers and become friends fast
- the cookouts, book around those (Friday & Wednesday evening and Thursday morning breakfast)
- never had to wait for anything, everything is always available
- right next door to Saguaro National Park (walking distance!), I did 3 trail runs there in 4 days, amazing!!!
- the weather and location of the ranch is perfect and the grounds are beautiful
- there is quite an entertainment program so you won't get bored (but watch out if you're not into horses)
- great for kids (as long as they're into horses and will leave your side easily...), there is a lot of entertainment for those kids that participate with the kid coordinators in their programs.

The bad:
- it's really expensive and not worth it if you're not horseback riding every day
- the food is so-so, even when they try and cater to your wishes, it's certainly nothing special but there's lots of it so you will not leave hungry. Note for Europeans/Asians: the breakfast is typically American, i.e. every morning it's the exact same fare and nothing interesting beyond the usual eggs/omelets, cereals with fruit, bacon, pancakes and sausages.
- the accommodations are good/ok, certainly not up to a 4* or 5* standard but a good 3*. It's rustic as you would expect from staying at a ranch. Annoyingly no king size beds and the pillows are Motel 6 quality. However, since you shouldn't spend too much time anyway in your room and should be tired after so many activities, you won't care that much.
- The fitness center is lame and the most important equipment belongs into a museum, no free weights.
- You can't just rent the mountain bikes without the guide to tour whenever you want to. You have to sign up on 1 of 3 rides per day (each ~ 1 hour), so expect mediocre equipment, lots of beginners, slow with frequent stops, etc.. The guides are great guys but of course can't really rough it or do real mountain biking. There is, however, a place that rents and delivers bikes to the Ranch if you're a bit more advanced. You will have to bike off the ranch though then.
- Here's the big issue....if you or your kid is not into horses, it's a bit pointless and too expensive to stay there. Our 5-year old refused to get on a horse and the kid coordinators did not have anything alternative planned for him (or the other kids that wouldn't get on a horse). So you're basically stuck again with your kid for those times (which is 2/3 of the day). You can't ride with your little one at the same time, so you're just hanging out at the pool or do water coloring. At $900+/night (for 3 people around Easter/Spring break), you could have staid at the Ritz then. When we had made the reservation to this place, we were told that the kids would be entertained "the whole day even if they didn't ride horses". Well, that was simply not true and it's the reason we won't be coming back any time soon (unless our kid is getting into horses next). Also, for the 4-6 year olds (the "Buccaroos"), the program changed constantly and without warning so for Mom + Dad we had to stay close at all times and couldn't really get away as the coordinators would just drop our son off all of a sudden (e.g. they would play from 9-9:45am and then ride at 9:45am which meant we had to take care of our son again).

Room Tip: all the rooms are about the same
1 Thank GlobalPolyglot
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I have shared both the positive feed back and opportunities with my staff. We pride ourselves in being friendly and fun. In regards to menu options, our Chef takes pride in using the freshest ingredients and creating our menu items from scratch. Afterall, our menu has been designed from the feedback we recieve from our guests. Our famous pancake breakfast is often the highlight of our guests stay, as it has been a tradition for years. We always do whatever we can to cater to all of our guests tastes and are delighted to do whatever it takes to ensure a pleasurable experience. In regards to our activities, we understand not every guest will be into the horse experience. We are always looking for ways to include everyone in the experience and make it a memorable adventure. We also are making room improvements to keep up with our guest expectations while preserving our rustic legacy. Thanks again for staying with us!