All reviews mountain biking kids program dog house lope rides nature center lope check cowboy cookout cottonwood grove riding lessons old homestead breakfast rides rincon mountains experienced riders horse ride morning ride riding experience all inclusive package
Reviewed May 16, 2017

Tanque Verde Ranch was totaling awesome! The staff were extremely nice and provided excellent service. Food was excellent! And you have to do the horseback ride to breakfast on Thursday mornings! Looking forward to visiting again!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Broderick P
RitaC1868, General Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2017

Thank you for your comments. Glad you enjoyed the ranch and Roberto's Workshop! Come and see us again!

Reviewed May 14, 2017

We stayed at the TVGR for a business rewards trip with approximately 64 people.

The ranch is gorgeous and is very pleasing when you drive on to the property. It's decorated beautifully with nice green lawns and surrounded by perfect desert landscape.

I didn't experience any of the activities with horses so I can't comment on that. We took the jeep tour through the desert and I would highly recommend it. We all learned so much from our driver/tour guide.

There are plenty of tennis courts and I tried pickle ball for the first time. The pool is great except there was one issue: the flies.
There were so many flies in the pool, several of us spent hours (our own choice of course) skimming the flies out of the pool. I mentioned the flies to Brenda, who is on the waitstaff, and she was extremely helpful. I was surprised that she hadn't heard about the pool situation before but she immediately got a grounds staff member to check on it. He quickly took over skimming, even though I was happy to help.
Our room may have been one of the largest on the property and it was the only room I was in so I can only comment on our specific cabin/room.
I was shocked to see the tv's have been removed from the rooms at the ranch. Our suite had an enormous living room, table, sitting area, and an equally large master bedroom and both had giant empty spaces where the tv's had been.
I understand the concept of 'relaxing and unplugging' but there isn't a lot to do and it was disappointing to want to turn on the news in the evening and not have access, other than our laptops.
There were some issues with the room but nothing that a call to the front couldn't fix.

We had trouble finding food. There were dining hall hours, but there wasn't easy access to snacks, drinks, etc.

At one point we needed medicine from the gift shop, but it wasn't open and it turned into a bit of a hassle to find someone to help.

The overall feel of the TVGR is that it's a bit dated but mostly comfortable. I imagine that it was a cool place back in the day but it's not some place I'd return for a vacation.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2017

There'a a lot to like about Tanque Verde Guest Ranch, and a lot to be desired.
The setting is beautiful and winter or spring time in Tuscon is definitely the right time to be here.
The natural setting is the best thing about this location as you are miles away from the city and nestled at the base of the hills. Morning breakfast rides (horseback or mountain bike) are lovely as well as most sunsets.
The horseback riding is very enjoyable, the wranglers are very friendly and helpful to those of us who remember very little of what we once knew of riding.
But...
1. The facility is a bit run down. Amenities throughout our room had chips, cracks or stains.
2. The food is very disappointing. The website leads one to think it's a foodie destination. It is not.
The breakfast, lunch or dinner buffet was inedible, worse than any airline food I remember.
The best meal we had was the chuck wagon barbecue under the stars. Anything prepared in the kitchen showed poor food quality or preparation, service was slow, and selection was limited. They offered a by-request chef special at lunch which I had great hope for - 3 days and three tries - strike out.
3. During our 3 day stay they were way over booked and the staff were running wild trying to keep up.
4. The grounds crew chose the busy Easter week to put topsoil and fertilizer on the courtyard lawn outside our room on our first day there. Very aromatic.
5. For a desert destination I was surprised how small the pool was. Pool towels were always out, lounges are in short supply, and when the kids all come in from their afternoon activities... well even the most kid friendly of us have a limit of how many and how loud we want to enjoy.
5. The management staff were just plain disorganized. They lost an Amazon delivery I had shipped there and weeks later, have now just found it. While I was there they didn't seem to make much effort to locate it.
6. They offer various activities which are very enjoyable, but I found it frustrating that though I can rent a mountain bike and there are miles of trails around there, they only offer guided groups to ride - solo rides are not allowed.
All in all, just know this is a great destination for a family with small kids. If you have older kids (teens) or are a group of adults seeking a more pampered experience, you should keep looking.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2017

Room 69 has fab views of the night sky and desert plants, great size, but it does need updating. Limited dinner choices; if you have colitis or problems with spicy foods this is not for you. they gave me the choice of a kids hamburger after making sure they could do it rare it came out like shoe leather sent back, it again came out well done on a second try.The price of room comes with meals, therefore did not feel the benefit.The end of April beginning May the days are getting hot 90's. Be sure you can tolerate the heat. Bar opens at 4 pm and closes at 10 pm sharp. no service while at the pool. No transportation except to airport no matter what they said when you made reservations! Wifi is very poor!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed May 4, 2017

Thoroughly enjoyed our time at Tanque Verde Ranch. We had never really ridden a horse prior to this, but the lessons and classes meant we were all loping by day 2 of our stay. All the wranglers were really helpful, especially Taylor who takes a lot of the lessons - she made them so much fun!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
RitaC1868, General Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2017

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased that you had a great experience learning how to ride! Taylor is a great teacher. Hope to see you back at the ranch in the future!