“Greatest Horse Get Away!”

White Stallion Ranch
Ranked #1 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Utica, Ohio
“Greatest Horse Get Away!”
Reviewed 1 June 2012

My husband and I just returned from an extended trip for his retirement celebration. We spent 8 days at White Stallion, we couldn't have enjoyed it more, we loved the food, great and plentiful. The riding into the desert was such a special treat for us, the rooms are excellently appointed, and always clean and comfortable.
The staff is friendly and helpful and great with first time riders, though we are not, it was good to see the care given to others who were somewhat afraid.
We have been here 3 times and it is consistantly great!
We were here in May this time and even though it was in the 90's we were able to enjoy the riding and the cooler evenings made eating on the patio a delight.
T M

Room Tip: There is no bad choice of rooms here!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Travelled to the ranch last year with my new bride. Great staff, the best food, and great activities. I had never been on a horse in my life when we got there but thanks to the one on one coaching I was one fast rides through the desert within 3 days. I would go back to this place tomorrow given the chnace.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Newfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 May 2012

After reading all the reviews of this ranch on Tripadvisor I was extremely excited to be going there this month. We got back last week and are already planning to go back! It is a fabulous place from the service to the accomodations to the hosts and of course the horses. The owners, the True family, are very hands-on. Russell True is everywhere! And the wranglers, especially JC, do everything to help you enjoy your riding. They are all very friendly and accomodating and put even the most intimidated riders at ease. They are all about your safety and that of their horses. We stayed in a deluxe double which was tastefully decorated in a western motif. The room was very large with a king bed, a sofabed area and coffee table and a table with 4 chairs. The room is actually too big for 2 people! When we go back we will probably downsize. The food was excellant, and is served buffet style except for breakfast where you can have it made-to-order and is served in a very timely manner. (so you can get out for a morning ride!) I can't say enough good things about my experience at the WS. We were made to feel very much at home from the time we arrived and felt very comfortable and a part of things from the start. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 21 and loved its location. Not too close to the main lodge but close to the horse...
La Mirada, California, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2012

My second visit this month, as usual a great experience thanks to the True brothers and their staff. No better place to visit and enjoy the western experience. Great people, great food and great horses. Been to others, but I always return to the WSR the happiest place on earth will be back in August and December 2012......

Room Tip: Any and all rooms are great!!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Louie H
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Well again the best kept secret does it again everything a person could wish for & then 110% more so if its alright with everyone SHHHH about WSR. They even have a jeep that doubles up as the cavalry ( always to the rescue in the nick of time) It Saved me. So just think of 5 star ranch in the Arizona desert with, a pool and your either in heaven or at WHITE STALLION

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Great news! You don't have to trek to the Himalayas to find paradise. Instead, book a stay at WSR, which is only a 40 minute drive from Tucson's airport. Despite its close proximity to Tucson, WSR feels like a distant hideaway because it's a 3000 acre ranch that's adjacent to the Saguaro National Park. Its location, including access to the National Park, enables all who visit to enjoy the unspoilt beauty of the Arizona desert and surrounding low mountains. In addition to the incredibly varied rides and hikes for all abilities, a person will be able to enjoy this beauty and an incredible peacefulness simply while sitting in any one of the many welcoming places on the ranch grounds. Enhancing this feeling of utopia is the unparalleled hospitality of the True family and WSR's staff. From the moment you arrive, you're treated in all aspects of your stay as if you're the most honored guest of the WSR family. And, they endeavor to make every single person feel this way in such a natural and unobtrusive manner. I've just returned from my third trip to WSR. The first week-long visit was in Spring 2009 with my 14 year old daughter. The second week-long visit was in November 2009 with my daughter and my (then) 67 year old mother and 85 year old father. During those trips, my daughter enjoyed the freedom of a (safe) ranch environment by roaming the grounds and enjoying its facilities and nightly programs with her newly-made friends, riding for hours each day in the desert and mountains, and even being granted her request to wash and groom her horse after her daily rides. As for my parents, they not only enjoyed the calm and relaxation that comes with WSR, but also rode despite not having been on a horse for decades. To this day, although being world-travelled, they tell me WSR has been their favorite vacation. This third trip with was my urban-DC husband (newly married) -- the type of person so far removed from seeking the ranch experience. As of our arrival, he had never been to a ranch, never rode a horse, swore he wouldn't ride a horse, and planned to do work while there. (He's also particular about his food and needs a white-noise machine to sleep.) Well, he took one lesson and then wanted to go on rides thereafter, fell into the WSR easy way of life like a fish to water, looked forward to and enjoyed every meal, never once needed the white-noise machine, and so enjoyed his interactions with other ranch guests. Yep, there's a Shangri-La for folks of all ages and experiences just outside of Tucson!

Room Tip: I've stayed in multiple categories of rooms from my three trips, excepting the economy (but I...
1 Thank KimberlyinDallas
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2012

My partner and I had always wanted to stay on a dude ranch and we happened to see an article in the Daily Mail last year featuring the White Stallion Ranch and we were completely sold on the place! We booked almost a year in advance for a 5 night/4 days stay for the last week of March this year. We had an great time! They have a great set-up there and you are totally looked after from beginning to end! I think we picked the busiest week to stay at the ranch, as they were fully booked with some 100 people! However, it never felt overly busy apart from at dinner time.

Arrival:
We were given an extremely warm welcome by reception staff when we arrived. We were immediately shown around the ranch and given all the information we needed. A great start to our holiday!

Room:
We had an economy double room which, although small, was more than adequate for our needs. We liked having a fridge in our room and we had a good view of the horses from our room/outside seating area. Spotlessly clean!

Food:
Absolutely fabulous! Considering the numbers being catered for, food was excellent! Always loads of choice and the quality was stunning!

Horseriding:
I had this romantic idea that the Arizona desert was like the Sahara desert(!), and was disappointed that the landscape was shrubbery (lots of cacti mainly!), and riding was only on trails, one horse behind another. However, it was still very good and the groups were small, up to a maximum of about 8 riders. I was impressed that the wranglers remembered your name and which horse you were riding. However, we were disappointed that our horses were changed on each of our rides! When my partner got to his fifth change of horse (I was on my forth!) he went to speak to Mr True. Mr True was extremely apologetic and explained that they were extremely busy this week and he only had beginner horses free (we were more intermediate riders) but he did reassure us that we would keep the same horse for the rest of our stay (which we did, but by then we only had 1 day left!). It wasn’t really a great problem to us, but would have been nice to bond and get to know one horse – everyone else we spoke to had the same horse the whole of their stay, so we must have just been the unlucky ones…

Apart from these couple of minor disappointments, overall we had a great time and met some really lovely people. Thank you WSR for making our stay so enjoyable!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple