See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed August 21, 2017

Truth be told, there isn't much of a difference between a $100/night hotel and a $125/night hotel. You might get a few more modern amenities or a slightly better location.

But take that same 25% difference and apply it to a $50 hotel vs. a $40 one? Hooboy.

Rooms in nice chain hotels around Tucson can regularly be had for $50 and change. Do that, friend. Book one of them instead. It's worth it.

The Copper Cactus exudes not what I (or anyone else) would call "charm." "Charm" is the wrong word for it, though it is authentic -- if that's what you're into. It's an American original: A motorcourt hotel from the 30's or so. Over the last 80 years, I'm sure there were opportunities to modernize it a bit, and in a way that didn't involve stapling extension cords to walls. Those opportunities were missed. Now, we see 80 years of deferred maintenance and half-hearted attempts to stay on travellers' radar screens through the decades.

The room I rented wasn't that dirty, and it had only a mild musty odor. I'll give the CC that much credit. The wifi connected quickly and worked well. I didn't notice any bugs -- though I was careful to ditch the bedspread (complete with cig burns in what was supposed to be a non-smoking room) on the floor before reclining for my fitful few hours of sleep serenaded by a barely-working AC unit. But beyond this faint praise, there isn't much to recommend it.

The service? I can sum it up by recounting a small argument with the clerk at check-in. Booking.com had told me $40 total when I made the reservation. The guy at first insisted it was really $45.

This is not a $45 hotel. It's barely a $40 hotel. He relented after a while.

My work frequently takes me to Tucson, and I need to pay for my rooms out-of-pocket. This experience once again drove home the wisdom of "pennywise and pound foolish." I tell myself I won't make that mistake again, and I won't. Until I do.

If you've got even a little more money to spend on accommodation, spend it. You probably can afford the $10 for the Red Roof Inn or whatever.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank BillL2155
Reviewed November 1, 2016 via mobile

Swimming pool,sun...basic room. Friendly owners originally from Ahmedabad,India. Good wifi connecton. Fun to walk downtown in the evening for nice food. Many places to eat in. Different kinds of food options available.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed February 28, 2016

I reserved what this motel laughingly refoers to as the "double room," so called not because of the size, but the fact that it has 2 beds. When I got there to take the room they told me they had none of the room type I had requested as they had reserved them for those who simply drive up as they pay more for the rooms and that I would have to take a requalr queen size room (even smaller) with only a single queen bed. For this smaller room they then charged me the SAME amount as the larger room I had reserved. I then complained as to this "bait and switch" method and that I would call the police if I didn't get the room I reserved and that they had cahrged me for. Finally they "found a room" like the one I had ordered. Don't trust these people, they will cheat you in a heart beat. Also, once in the room I found that the heater/cooler combo did not work, so my wife and I spent a cold night there. Additionaly the shower head was so low it actually came to the middle of my chest, making showers nearly impossible.

Room Tip: don't let them put you in the rooms along the east side, Impossible to park there and the rooms are the size of postage stamps.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Leonard F
Reviewed December 31, 2015

The copper cactus inn is a collection of several buildings that are basically small sleeping rooms. I foolishly stayed there one week night and regretted it. First off the office was locked at 6;40 PM but I could see the TV going and hear voices in the room.I got pissed and found a fast food place,ate,went back 40 minutes later and the office was now open and the clerk denied that the door was locked!!! Rest of motel is dump and cost me with tax $42 , You can do better

Room Tip: Try the motel 6
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Bill83873
Reviewed June 24, 2015

It's an older place, but a great place to stay. Never any problems. Been staying here for years. The swimming pool is ok. Quiet in the summer time, ( no college ). We would always recommend this place, it is very good for the price.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business