“MEDIOCRE AND LOUD”

Cuisines: Sushi
Neighbourhood: West University
Neighbourhood: West University
Reviewed October 4, 2015

My husband and I went there for the first time. If you're looking for more of a quiet atmosphere like most sushi restaurants, this is not it. The place has terrible acoustics and is very loud, even when the restaurant was only half full.

We started with a calamari app. The taste was fine with a very light breading; however, there were only 7 small pieces on a virtually empty plate. Smallest order of calamari I have ever seen. If they aren't going to add more calamari, then at least put some greens or cucumber salad on the plate so it doesn't look so empty.

We ordered sake and the waitress brought the small bottle but no tea cups. It took a while to flag down someone to get them. Don't know if our waitress was new or just bad but she was very slow and unresponsive. Even other waitstaff jumped in occasionally to pick up dirty plates or check on us.

My husband had a noodle bowl; small portion and took forever to arrive. I had a spicy tuna roll and another roll. Rolls tasted fine and ingredients seem to be fresh but nothing out of the ordinary. We also had the cucumber salad which was very good.

It certainly wasn't the best Japanese meal we have ever had and the noise level was very loud; not conducive to a quiet, relaxing dinner. Service was definitely lacking. It is near the University and it seems as though they didn't know what they wanted to be. Is it a sushi restaurant or a sports bar? They need to get a better handle on what they plan to be going forward. If they want to be a true sushi restaurant then they need to get some booths to help with the noise and upgrade the level of service.

Reviewed August 6, 2015

I visited Fuku Sushi in 2012, but the Honor sushi roll was not as good as I remembered (or reviewed). Everything tasted a little old and the colors weren't very vibrant at all. The service was okay - nothing to rave about.

Reviewed February 27, 2015

If you are looking for a nice sushi dinner, do not go to Fuku Sushi. I ended up here with a colleague as we arrived late in Tucson and were looking for food. We mistakenly thought this was a restaurant but it is definitely more of a bar and the food was absolutely dreadful. Even starving after a day of travel, we could not eat what was served. I would not recommend Fuku Sushi at all.

Reviewed February 19, 2015

The sushi was only okay, and definitly a bit overpriced. Service staff was very young looking, but knew how to do their jobs properly. It's sushi in Tucson, what do you expect?

Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

This is seriously the most poorly run restaurant and bar I've ever been to. The sushi is abysmal, and the beer tap lines taste like they haven't been cleaned since the Reagan Administration.

As for customer service, this is where Fuku is at it's absolute worst. You basically have to kidnap a waiter to get them to come take your order. And for some reason, despite being a college bar, they refuse to do separate checks. This is probably so they can add extra stuff no one ordered on to the bill to rip you off, which I've caught them doing many times.

Do yourself a favor and avoid this place. The faster this establishment goes out if business, the happier a place Tucson, and indeed the world, will be.

1  Thank NickB92

Been to Fuku Sushi? Share your experiences!