“Mess o’ Food....you’ll never be hungry again”
Review of Cafe Poca Cosa

Cafe Poca Cosa
Ranked #43 of 2,121 Restaurants in Tucson
Price range: US$12 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Neighbourhood: El Presidio
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Wonderful hostess ( perhaps the owner?) and wait staff. Friendly, warm & accomodating. You truly feel welcome here. The food however is forgettable. Huge plates of chicken or beef topped with one of several sauces to define the dish (mole, tomato or cream.) and CHEESE. Plus lots and lots of lettuce as filler. And fruit, Did I mention cheese? I have mixed feelings about this restaurant, Love the staff. The food is ample, but not inspiring.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,675)

Reviewed March 26, 2018

We read the reviews and were told verbally by friends that the food was great. We were put off when we walked in by the sterile decor and the falsely friendly staff who greeted each customer w the identical upbeat way.
Our server rattled off the menu top speed and could not wait to get through it. We could not name what we ordered but got a chicken and beef dish. The food was salty and over spiced. I should add that the meal was served within 5 min of being ordered.
Is that careful preparation??
The salad looked like it was thrown on the plate.
So to summarize, we found nothing to recommend.
Di not mean to give it 2stars, but it was by accident and I could not undo it.
Service,food and value, 1 star could not get it to register

Reviewed March 24, 2018 via mobile

Much hyped in Tucson, but in my opinion not warranted. About a dozen entrees on a blackboard, none of which was particularly creative or inspiring. Our group had chicken, beef and pork dishes, all meat was overcooked and didn’t,t have much flavour much the sauces. Served on a massive bed of lettuce which took half the plate and obscured the food in this quite dark restaurant. Would not return or recommend.

Reviewed March 22, 2018 via mobile

This restaurant has interesting and delicious food. A small menu means they pay close attention to what they present —and it shows! Also, this was the best margarita I’ve ever had. If I lived in Tucson this would be a regular place for me.

Reviewed March 20, 2018 via mobile

Couples meet up for Sunday dinner. Definitely get reservations . Margarita was outstanding. Not a fan of their chalkboard menu. Unable to decipher it yourself and waiter rattles it off so fast I felt like I wasn’t sure what I was getting. I got a carne asada dish which was very good, tortillas excellent. Plate was heaped full (too full) of salad with huge leaves you had to cut up to actually eat, underneath that was shredded something (jicama??) . Salad not dressed but oil and vinegar on table . Unfortunately you would get all over your entree since no room. I know this is their signature “plating” but I would prefer separate salad plate with some room on main plate to get to the food without feeling like everything is going to go overboard.