“Fantastic property and STAFF”

JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersSilver level
El Paso, Texas
“Fantastic property and STAFF”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

My wife and I frequently travel frequently on busines to Tucson. After our first stay we feel this property is our home away from home. The facility is beautiful with incredible views.
The staff makes us feel like family. From the moment we arrive everyone from the bell staff, front desk do everything they can to make our staff memorable.
The tequilla toast each night is a great way to end the day.
Whether it be at Salud, Primo, Signature, or Catalina Grill, the service and food are always first class.
We highly recommend this facility for those who want to enjoy a truly experience.

Room Tip: Rooms with views of the city lights are most enjoyable.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 February 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

WOW, thank you for taking time out of your day to highlight your stay. We appreciate your encouraging comments about our service and I will share them with our associates. Thank you for highlighting one of our most popular experiences at the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa, the Salud! Tequilla Toast. We sincerely appreciate that you consider us your “Home Away From Home”, and we look forward to hosting your next visit.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (550)
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Spent three days at this hotel recently. I used my Marriott points to pay for the room, and as such, wasn't expecting much of a room. What a surprise! On checking in, was informed that I had an upgraded view room on the 6th floor! And it was beautiful! The room had two double beds. A large bathroom with separate shower and tub, and more than enough space for it to feel quite luxurious. The bedroom too, was a great size with a refrigerator for guest use, as well as a coffee machine. The room contained a nice easy chair with side table, a desk with two chairs, and an armoire with drawers, fridge etc. A flat screen TV was on top of this. Smallish closet, but enough space for a short stay. The view was super - overlooking the pool area and the mountains. We ate in the main restaurant once, - food was decent but nothing to rave about. We also ate at Primo, and were really looking forward to it, but this turned out to be a huge disappointment. We were there during the Jewelry show, and though the restaurant is usually closed on a Monday, they opened up specially to accommodate all the people in the hotel. This may have been a factor, in the food being bland, and far from great tasting. There is a Starbucks within the resort and we got coffee and pastries from there a few times. Nice option for breakfast as well. Very nice lobby area, and outdoor patio. To sum up: Great hotel, with superb views of the mountains from the main lobby area.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for sharing your experience on your past stay. The Tucson Gem & Mineral Show is an exciting time for all of Tucson, and we appreciate that you chose the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort and Spa as your home away from home. Your concerns about your dining experiences have been expressed to our Executive Chef, and we offer our sincere apologies. Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to hosting your next visit to Tucson.

Pompano Beach, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

We stayed here again for our annual Gem Show trip. This place is great, gorgeous, clean & courteous staff. The view is AMAZING!! Spa is SUPERB. Location is great & easy to get to.

Only a couple complaints. I feel a place at this rate should not be nickel & dime-ing on parking ($10 a day to use their lot & $20 a day to valet (plus tip)!) That leaves a bad taste in mouth. Also, being this is dry Tucson, the bottled water should be given at no charge. And for some reason I've had a problem with timely wake up calls here (1/2 hour or more off).

Room Tip: Any room has a good view, either mountain or city lights. Gorgeous!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank phanie12
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your insight on your past stay, I am thrilled to hear that you were here during the Tucson Gem & Mineral Show. That has to be one of Tucson’s most exciting events of the year. I apologize that you feel that you did not receive value for the services, and your concerns have been heard. I will certainly express your concerns, and we look forward to your return and thank you for reviewing the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa.

Southern Pines, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

This hotel has it all. top notch steakhouse, well appointed rooms with incredible views, and friendly staff. It was so relaxing on the patio with the fire pits, having a drink with friends watching the sun set. The few downsides to this location were the under equipped fitness center for a hotel of its caliber, and the location. Great facility overall.

• Stayed February 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your feedback on your past stay, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience. I have to agree, the city and mountain views are stunning from our location, which is a short distance from the center of town. I apologize that our fitness facilities are not to your standards, and will communicate your concerns. We look forward to your return and the opportunity to make a lasting impression on your next visit.

Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

This is an update to my previous review. It was very disappointing to return to this gorgeous property last month. It has an amazing location and is a beautifully maintained property with lovely rooms, but right now I have no plans to go back. We certainly did not receive the same level of service as during our previous two visits. When we checked in I requested a room with an iron-railing balcony because last time I had a room with the stucco enclosed balcony which obscured some of the view. I was told there weren't any such balconies - not that there were none available, just that there were none. So we opted to take a regular room with no balcony. After we got to our room and unpacked, I went for a walk around the property and sure enough, I saw that there are in fact dozens of rooms with iron-railing balconies (just as I had remembered from previous stays). So I stopped at the desk and asked the same woman why we couldn't have one of those, and she told me that she misunderstood my request at check in. To her credit, she showed me an available room and offered to help us move me to it but it was in the other building and would have been a hassle to pack everything up again and move. I do wish we had made the effort to change rooms, however, because our room had the very strong odor of cigarette smoke coming in through the vent. It was horrible and made it impossible to sleep and really ruined the stay. We ended up checking out a night early. On top of that, the wonderful restaurant Primo on the lower level, was closed even though all the promo info for it was visible in the hallway. We tried to go the first night and discovered it was closed. The next night we called the front desk and were told it was open, so we went. Nope - it was closed. How could the front desk people not know if the main restaurant is open or not? We enjoyed this resort so much in our previous stays. I do wonder if it is under new management or something. It was a fabulous place once.

Room Tip: Choose a room with an iron-railing balcony so your view won't be obscured as it is with the stuc...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank megrey
Dear Valued Guest:

Please accept my apologies that your stay was anything less than exceptional; I will personally communicate your concerns with our Leadership Team. If you have any further comments or concerns, feel free to contact me at chad.lybrook@marriott.com

Norfolk, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

I was going to write a review stating that I thought the property was lovely but that guests are overcharged for items that should be included, but then I was attacked by bedbugs. I spent two nights at this resort. After the first night, I woke up to find some bites on the back of my neck, but I had an all-day interview, was quickly distracted, and didn't think much of it. The second morning, however, I woke up with bites all over my arms, on my hand, all over my middle back, on my ear, etc. I went to reception to check out and the clerk automatically physically recoiled when I showed her the bites on my arm, neck, and hand. She told me that she would take $25 off my bill (worked out to about 50 cents a bite) and turned to another clerk and said, "She has bedbugs." He suggested that she call the assistant manager. The assistant manager asked me if I would like to change rooms; I informed her that I was checking out. She said that she would call some sort of maintenance individual. I told her that I was heading to the airport and she asked me to wait a few moments. About 10 minutes later, this individual showed up and gave me three tiny sample packets of anti-itch cream. In the most insulting moment of the whole situation, he inquired if I thought I was "allergic" to something. I responded that they were clearly bug bites. He asked if I wanted them to check out my room, as if this was doing me some kind of favor. I responded that since I was leaving, I did not care what they did, but I would recommend it, since I was sure that other guests would be equally displeased. As I was fleeing to the parking garage so that I would not miss my flight, I realized that I had left my phone charger in my room. I ran back and the room has already been torn apart (clearly the staff knew that this was no "allergy"). I then had to proceed to other interviews in other cities with these visible bug bites. My first stop involved staying with a friend in her apartment and hoping that I was not bringing bedbugs to her apartment. She did not have an in-apartment clothes dryer to kill possible traveling bugs and besides, much of my clothing was silk or suit-related (due to interviews) and dry clean only. I did purchase a bedbug spray at Bed Bath & Beyond (thereby spending most of my $25 "discount") and am hopeful that that did the trick. Overall, I was very disappointed by how this whole fiasco was handled.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
10 Thank Jamie G
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 January 2012
On behalf, of the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa, please accept our sincere apologies for the experience that you have encountered. Per our conversation, the service and experience you received is not indicative of the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa or that of the JW Marriott Brand.

The JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa cares greatly about every guest’s experience. The safety and security of our guests is our top priority. As a result, Marriott has established very strict standards of cleanliness for all its hotels that either meets or exceeds public health department regulations, including pest control. In the unusual event we are made aware of a concern, we respond immediately to the situation and take the appropriate steps to remediate whatever issue we find. We take every report of pest control very seriously. Once we learned of these concerns, we immediately removed the room from service and contacted a nationally recognized pest control expert to conduct a thorough examination of the guestroom.

We have been in direct contact with our guest in regard to this posting, and have responded in a manner to earn her satisfaction with our efforts.

Kind regards,

arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

This hotel is one of my favorites, I have been here a few times and I love the location, the style and the overall feel of this place. I have been fooled by the JW Marriot name in San Francisco but in Tucson they hit it out of the park. This place is good for business and pleasure, in the summer time it is a great place to be as the property has a water park perfect for the family. In the winter time it is a good place to be because of the christmas themed lobby and the giant tree outside is perfect for picture taking. You won't be dissapointed.

Room Tip: sign up for marriot rewards and take advantage of any special deals.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business