“Beautiful Place well recommended”

Sam Hughes Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 45 Tucson B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 June 2008

We searched online for B&Bs in the Tucson area and were drawn to this site, and we weren't disappointed. A beautifully appointed inn in the center of Tucson, we felt at home in the secluded flower garden court and spacious detached suite in which we stayed. We found it spotless and well kept, and our host, Susan Banner, made it a pleasant stay with wonderful surroundings and delicious breakfasts. We heartily recommend the Sam Hughes inn for a unique lodging experience in a unique city.

Reviewed 11 June 2008

I am an asthmatic who is deathly allergic to dogs. I made a reservation at the Sam Hughes Inn (drawn by all of the wonderful reviews), not realizing that a dog lived at the bed and breakfast. When I arrived and saw the dog for the first time, I mentioned to the owner and sole proprietor, Susan, that I was concerned because I was allergic to dogs. She responded by saying that no one was allergic to her dog. Doubtful, I stayed for a few hours that evening until I had an asthma attack and had to leave in the middle of the night for another hotel. I left her an e-mail note explaining what had happened and where I had gone. When I returned the next morning to reconcile my bill, she insinuated that I was rude for not leaving her a message. When I explained that I could not stay, she treated me like I was making up my dog allergy. She told me that if I was really as sensitive as I claimed, I could not possibly stay at any bed and breakfast, let alone the hotel down the street that I had check myself into because everyone allowed dogs. Even though I didn't dispute the bill and paid for my three night stay in full (despite not spending a single night there), the owner was still rude and insulting. The architecture and decor of the Sam Hughes Inn may be charming but the proprietor can spoil it all. If you have any out-of-the-ordinary problems, be prepared for Susan to berate you severely. From my experience, she doesn't value her customers.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank betaPic
Innkeeper2020, Owner at Sam Hughes Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2008

I am happily enjoying my 8th year of business with nary a negative word until this review submitted June 11. In response, I'd like to deny all personal attacks on my customer service and to say that after checking the other allegations made, they were found to be untrue. The dog is pictured on the web site. In addition, when making a reservation all other guests with severe allergies have always inquired first about the possibility of resident or visiting animals or any other substances (food or chemical) that might potentially cause them to be ill. The comfort of the guest is always first and foremost.

Reviewed 3 June 2008

My husband and I spent two fun weeks touring Arizona. Our trip started in Tucson, and we stayed at the Sam Hughes Inn B&B. It was the perfect choice - great location, excellent rates, and a warm & friendly atmosphere. Susan, the innkeeper, made us feel very welcomed, and provided us with lots of helpful information about the area. Each day Susan went the extra mile to provide us a delicious breakfast before we set out to see the local attractions. The courtyard is a perfect place to sit and enjoy the garden after a fun filled day. We stayed in the Tombstone room which is detached from the main house and has a view of the garden. We highly recommend a stop in Tucson and a stay at the Sam Hughes Inn Bed & Breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2008

I found this inn on the UA website when I was planning to visit the university to check out a PhD program. From the first email exchange with Susan, it was a gracious experience. This is a first class but reasonably priced B&B with fantastic breakfasts, little weird requests (like do you have skim milk?) met with a smile, informative and helpful conversation (Susan even contacted a friend in real estate to give me a tour of appropriate housing in the area), and comfortable good-sized rooms as well as a neat outside sitting area.

While I was there (for two days, much too short), there were parents of college students as well as international travelers also staying. We were charmed by Susan, and our delight with the place was the topic of breakfast table conversation.

It's convenient, comfortable and relaxing. Well above average, on the cusp of excellent.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 May 2008

We spent five nights at Sam Hughes Inn (Santa Fe Room) and couldn't have been happier. Susan is an excellent hostess and provides a delicious FULL breakfast each morning (and each morning featured a different presentation). Our room (which had a private patio entrance) was clean, comfortable, and well appointed. The garden grounds are well-tended and there is a shade ramada, lots of trees & comfortable seating. A huge living room/library is for guests' use anytime as well as a complimentary-use laptop with internet connection, which was very handy. And the location couldn't have been better - in an older, quiet, up-scale neighborhood adjacent to the University of AZ main campus (lovely bookstore, museums, galleries, etc.), and with lots of interesting restaurants nearby. We look forward to another visit.

Reviewed 29 April 2008

Sam Hughes Inn was our base for an extended visit to Tucson and we were delighted to discover such a charming and comfortable oasis in a peaceful setting, very handy for the University.
It felt like home but with much better breakfasts, which were deliciously different every day, and we enjoyed meeting some fascinating and descriminating fellow guests.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed 21 April 2008

My partner and I recently stayed at the Sam Hughes Inn and it was a very pleasant experience.

We stayed in the Tombstone Room which is in a seperate building out in the garden, the room had everything you need, it was spotless and fresh towels were provided daily.

The garden is very pleasant with many shaded areas, it is a real oasis, you would never believe that you were in the middle of a city.

The public areas were nice, there was a large TV room which also had a large selection of books.

The breakfasts were a real highlight, a hearty meal was served, this included an egg product with a side of meat, some fresh baked bread and fresh fruit, the conversation was always pleasant, while I was there many of the guest were visiting U of A which is just 5 minutes walk away.

I would definitely return and would recommend it to anybody who is looking for a pleasant break in Tucson