“Tucson and a warm welcome”

Catalina Park Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 45 Tucson B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We arrived in Tucson on a Sunday... well of course nothing was open and the town was a 'ghost town'. As the days went by the place grew on us....

The B&B is easy to find and a short walk away from the university and fourth avenue shops and businesses, restaurants. This district is very quirky and a real mix of people and students. At the moment it is being dug up as they plan to re-install a trolley system.

The B&B is very quiet and just what you need to relax. The rooms are spacious and decorated to a high standard. We had a room seperate to the house (no 2), with access to the garden. The garden is big enough for everyone to have some seats in their own corner of the garden. The owners put up bird feeders and we spent a long time watching humming birds.

The breakfasts were delicious. Mark seems to cook while Paul is the entertainment and chats during breakfast. They have lots of suggestions for what to do and where to eat.

I understand that they 'shut up shop' during the summer when it becomes way too hot. In April the weather was very pleasant.

I would thoroughly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 April 2012

I work every other week in Arizona, but until this past week, hadn't had the opportunity to stay in Tucson. Because I travel for work, I usually book a room at a Marriott (they tend to be consistent, if nothing else). I checked into the Courtyard Marriott, and immediately checked out upon finding, among other things, a boot print on a pillow and dirty sheets. I went on tripadvisor.com and found the Catalina Park Inn. The reviews were wonderful and the photographs were charming, so I called and spoke to Paul, who turned out to be a lifesaver to this rather desperate traveler, making me feel as though it was no trouble at all to let me check in after their official check-in hours. And Paul, I'm so sorry for the late arrival, but forever grateful to you and Mark--it had been a rough day!

I should mention that the online pictures do not do the inn justice at all; where the photos are charming, the inn is actually absolutely gorgeous with incredible landscaping. I stayed in the East Room, which was beautifully decorated and has a covered balcony, complete with comfy chairs, attached to the room. As I live in an older home, I am in love with details like original wood floors, ornate (original!) tiling and antique doorknobs, all of which the inn has. After a year's worth of traveling to Marriotts, it was wonderful to sleep in a bed that was so comfortable I didn't want to get up in the morning.

Mark and Paul prepared breakfast (on the morning I was there, it was delicious fluffy waffles with scones, fruit, juice and coffee) which was delightful, as were the other guests at the inn.

In the year I have been working in Arizona, this was hands-down the best stay I've had (and the first business trip that felt like a vacation), and is absolutely one of the best stays I've had anywhere at all. I will be booking more appointments in Tucson, if only to have the chance to stay here again.

Thanks again for the fantastic stay!

Room Tip: The inn was very quiet and peaceful; I can't imagine there would be a "bad" room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank NicoleY76
Reviewed 7 April 2012

So glad I chose this BnB! An elegant, incredibly tasteful home filled with art, wonderful decor, architectural woodwork, stairs, glass display cases, covered porches, fireplaces...things they dont build like this anymore. And the property is surrounded by a sweeping beautiful dry cactus garden that is as elegant and artful as the inside of the home; directly across the street from a town park. Good parking. I stayed in the East Room; lush deep 4 poster bed, huge period bathroom with all the amenities (glass chandelier a plus), desk, great reading chairs, and a wonderful private 2nd floor porch to catch the light; have that lingering coffee or glass of wine there. Great place to stay for street fairs or events held on 4th Street; 1 block walk away. Easy walk to restaurant for other meals. Hosts are charming; breakfast is gourmet and one you want to linger over. They know how to spoil you - home made cookies waiting for you when you arrive; coffees and teas and special juices whenever you want them. This place was 40% less than other places I stayed at in the area and much more refined. An A+!!!

Room Tip: Stayed in East Room; sunny porch on 2nd floor is an excellent choice if you want to stay and relax a...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Winkie9
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Mark and Paul truly have a gift of hospitality. These are some of the nicest guys you'll meet, and their friendly smiles and laughter made us feel right at home and amongst friends in this true desert oasis. If I ever end up in Tucson again I am definitely staying in this little piece of heaven again.
I stayed in the Oak Room and was absolutely enthralled by the spacious getaway suite. The pictures on the website don't do the room justice, as the room is much larger than the pictures lead you to believe. Also, the furniture has been updated with a nice leather couch, and the door leads to a cozy bathroom with a bathtub/shower. There is also a large closet complete with bathrobes and hangers, and a large television just opposite of the plush bed (you'll feel like you're sleeping on the clouds).
The B&B is just off of 4th street which is the heart of the nightlife; you'll find all kinds of restaurants and bars to suite your fancy just a few blocks south. Thanks for the wonderful trip!

Also, one of my friends stayed in The Bower Room which is a separate villa in the courtyard...and it looked AWESOME. The room was breathtaking, and what's not pictured on the website is the enormous bathroom--seriously four people would be able to shower comfortably in that open casita tiled masterpiece.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ILTFP09
Reviewed 31 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Catalina Park Inn for 2 nights in the Oak Room. It's a huge room on the second floor with a seating area large enough for a sofa and 2 chairs. Windows cover one and a half walls, filling the room with light, which we loved. There is a lot of closet space, a big flat screen TV, DVD player, and a work desk.

The location is convenient for visiting the university and downtown. The inn is easy to find and quiet, since it's off the main Tucson roads and in front of a park. The only noise is from the trains, which you will hear anywhere you stay near downtown Tucson; the inn provides ear plugs and they are very effective. The wifi was free, set-up was easy and the signal was quite good.

Mark and Paul were gracious hosts and were very responsive and helpful from the reservation request onwards. The breakfasts were delicious and filling; they do make allowances if you don't care for the dish of the day. We enjoyed our stay and will go back there whenever we go to Tucson.

Room Tip: The Oak Room is a large light-filled room. It has no balcony like some of the other rooms, but you g...
1  Thank Teresa S
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the Catalina Park Inn for a weekend. Mark and Paul were absolutely gracious hosts and had many suggestions for places to visit during our stay. Our room was incredibly comfortable and inviting, and the breakfasts were delicious. We cannot wait to plan our next trip to Tucson. We will definitely stay here again.

Reviewed 28 March 2012

Excellent! Recently stayed 2 nights at the Catalina Park Inn. The Oak Room was most spacious, and the facilities immaculate. Mark and Paul are wonderful hosts, and the breakfasts were delicious and beautifully presented. The 1927 mansion is beautifully maintained with the original mahogany wood and historic charm. Loved the gardens and courtyard. A friendly, welcoming environment. Lots of fun. We would definitely stay here again.