“Comfortable” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Manchester, New Hampshire
“Comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

We stayed here for three nights in February 2012. We were attending a reunion so there were many others from our group that also stayed here. Overall, the hotel is nice. Typical of a Doubletree. Staff was friendly and helpful. We arrived around 1pm check-in time was 3pm. The clerk was not able to give us a room right away because the hotel had been booked solid the night before and housekeeping was still working on our floor. So were told the hotel would call our cell phone as soon as room was ready. We hung out at the pool and sure enough they called a couple of hours later. We checked in about 20 mins before normal check in time. Room was clean, bright, spacious and very accommodating. The lighting in the bathroom leaves a lot to be desired, tho. Sconces on the mirror don't provide enough light. No light in the tub area which makes it dark! Pool area was clean and well maintained. Parking lot up at the front of the hotel is brightly lit. I was glad that we were staying in the tower. However, some of our friends stayed in accommodations way in the back area of hotel property. Not lit especially well at night. We wouldn't walk alone at night in that area. Disappointing that Doubletree won't offer free interment access in the room unless you belong to one of their clubs. It's $10 a day if you want access in your room. However, it's free in the lobby/pool/bar area. You'll need to get an access code from the front desk to get on. I only know that because I asked at the desk... they don't tell you anything about lobby access at check-in. We were on the road for 3 weeks during our trip last month. Stayed at 10 different hotels over that time. Doubletree was the only hotel that wanted a fee for internet access in the room. For what they charge for a room, access should be complementary. I can do without the free newspaper at my door. How about the internet? $10/day is a rip-off. When we stay in Tuscon next time, we'll probably stay here again but I plan to look around for a better over-all package.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ontheroad0809

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Puyallup, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Stayed at DLBTree Inn in Tucson for a convention. The room was clean and well-maintained during our stay by staff. Check-in and out went smoothly. Continental breakfast excellent. Sunday brunch, a local popular one, also excellent with numerous choices including crab legs, shrimp, oysters and mussels, delicacies one wouldn't expect at a brunch in AZ. Two restaurants in hotel provided good food and appetizers. Swimming pool should have been heated although one got use to cooler water once in .

Room Tip: Make sure room does not allow pets. If not wanting to use stairs, reserve room in main building wit...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Las Cruces, NM
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

We have stayed here many times over the years.
Our last visit confirms that we won't be staying here again.
The welcoming cookies and reception were cold instead of warm.
When told by the manager on duty we could watch the U of A basketball game in the closed, lobby bar, the servers would not help us. We went to the cantina and the help there was accommodating, and brought our mediocre food to us.
The room is dated. The popcorn ceiling needed replacement. The bare minimum of towels and pillows suggest that this place is trying to cut corners. There is a charge for internet wi-fi which we were told was free.
I submitted an evaluation card upon departure. I have yet to hear from the hotel. That's fine. They won't be hearing from or seeing us ever again!
There are other Hilton facilities nearby which are far more accommodating and at a more reasonable rate.

Room Tip: "Courtyard" rooms surrounding pool are in a facility with no elevator. Tower rooms are da...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LCDude
SLemon445, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Tucson - Reid Park, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Dear LCDude,

It was such a pleasure speaking with you. We are very appreciative of the comments you shared with us and will use them to improve. Again, we are very sorry that your stay was not pleasant and you did not receive excellent service in all areas of your stay. It is our goal to ensure that each and every guest receives the very best service and accommodations and your feedback is helpful to us. I am confident that our team will be able to make things right the next time you visit us. If you need anything else, please contact me personally.

With Warm Regards,

Nicole M. Grimm, CTA
Director of Rooms Operations
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I would suggest this hotel if you have business with University or downtown Tucson and want a hotel with a nice pool, workout area and availability of casitas. Located directly across street from public golf course. This is not a five star complex but very nice. Closer to airport compared to north foothill resorts. You do need car to get anywhere.

• Stayed March 2012
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

A friend and I just recently spent a day and a half at this Doubletree in Tucson, but we wish we had spent more time. The staff was very friendly and helpful for any questions we had. The web site said you would receive a warm cookie upon checking in, but how often do they tell you things like that and do you ever get it. Well, the web site was right. We each received a large, warm cookie that in NYC would easily cost $3, but for free! It was a great way to start our stay. The staff even remembered who we were hours after checking in when we stopped by to ask a question. The room was spacious, clean, and had a wonderful view of the pool. The Cantina was quiet on the night we went there for drinks, but the woman bartender was friendly and made great mixed drinks. The lobby staff greeted us every time we entered or exited, which made us feel welcome. The gift shop was nice too, since this was our first trip to Arizona and we wanted to get some momentos (this gift shop was nicer than any in the Phoenix airport). The pool and jacuzzi were clean and the temperatures were perfect for a warm February day/night. I would definitely stay here again if I was in the Tucson area. We also received a free breakfast buffet, which was nice, but nothing spectacular. It had fresh fruit, cereal, toast, bacon, eggs, muffins-the regular stuff. But who would complain when it is free. The gym is small but with not many people staying at the hotel or using it early in the morning, it was good enough for a nice hour long workout. No complaints at all about the Doubletree @ Reid Park. It helped to make a first trip to Arizona a memorable and comfortable one!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

I selected this hotel for a leisure 5 day trip. I was visiting a friend that lives 20 minutes away. I read the reviews and as usual some were not good. Let me set the record straight............this hotel experience was perfect in every way.
I arrived and requested a room with a view of the mountains. Ann Margaret took the time to select a room that has the mountain view. It was room #507....The room was perfect...comfortable bed, pillows, clean, very nice bathroom with shower and bath. I felt very safe and comfortable in the room.
In the morning 6:00 am there is coffee outside of the breakfast buffet ...which was great for coffee addicts like me....to quickly, simply and effortlessly to run down for that 1st coffee. (there is a coffee machine in the room, however, i like REAL coffee...not the little machine type.)
The breakfast buffet which i paid for with the hotel rate $119 a nite.
The breakfast was perfect!!! If you didnt like the eggs @ the buffet..they would cook and serve you any type of eggs you would like. Bacon, home fries, breads, cakes, cottage cheese, fruits, yogurt, oatmeal, dried fruits, blintzes, french toast, any type of juice. It truly was excellent. The servers were lovely and very accomodating. The room where it is served is beautiful with views of the landscaped areas of the pool.
The pool...was absoulutely beautiful..............always towels and when they ran out.............they brought more. The gentleman that does the landscaping and pool cleaning worked with pride everyday.........I told him he does a great job. The grass and flowers are truly breathtaking. The gym is right there @ the pool..........open 24 hours. I am a gym rat...but only went twice........the gym is more than sufficient and there are beautiful clean bathrooms in gym and water cooler and towels.
There is a beautiful gift shop with the lovliest ladies that allowed you to browse without any pressure or hawking.
I called the hotel upon arrival at Tucson airport, in 20 minutes I was picked up by "Oleg" who was a very courteous and helpful part of the staff.
The shuttle will take you 3 miles in distance of the hotel. It was simple getting a ride. One time the shuttles were busy, so I took a bus right outside hotel to the Botanical Gardens and Butterfly exhibit....lovely!!!
The shuttle took me to the zoo...and then picked me up.
The girls @ reception at the breakfast buffet were all very nice.
The hotel is walking distance to Starbucks, burlington, target, yogurt and a few others. Approx 3/4 of a mile.
The hotel is extremely close to a quick stop (right at the corner of the hotel).........coffee, toiletries, etc...
Ice machines and vending machines on every floor of hotel
This place was perfect..........whoever is the manager of this hotel....they have the best staff.........always friendly and helpful
there are 3 computers and printers in a very comfortable and private area in the lobby. no charge!!!
The T.V.'s in the room are HUGE flat screens.
The only things i would improve are: much needed safe in the room
lower the mirror in room...it was beautiful...but of no use...hung too high. I am not tall...but I usually can see myself in mirrors.
The mirror on bathroom door should be in bedroom...so that you dont have to close the Bathroom door to see yourself.
please let me know if you have any other questions....
newspaper is delivered to your door....but not Sundays
and of course...I would have loved a robe...but they were not available.
The staff, hotel, housekeeping, breakfast buffet, shuttle, cleanliness, pool all get a 10 from me.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

As a former Tucson resident, I recall the Doubletree as being an upscale hotel. I booked 4 nights at the Doubletree, as it was located near enough to University of Arizona, where I was visiting my daughter for the weekend. I arrived a couple of hours before check-in, and the hotel was accomodating and allowed me to check in early, with 2 lovely complimentary warm cookies. At the time of my reservation, I had requested 2 bottles of sparkling water for the room, which the clerk confirmed while she was making sure that the room was indeed ready. However, when I arrived in the room, the water wasn't there. The front desk had it sent down from through roomservice. The room smelled musty, but even with asthma, I have never had trouble in any hotel in a non-smoking room. The remote for the tv wasn't working. I had to make the request for maintenance twice, as no one had come to fix it within 45 minutes of my first call. Maintenance had to enter my room while I was out, because I couldn't wait for them any longer. The lighting in the bathroom of my room consisted of 2 wall sconces on the mirror, which were covered by a linen shade. There was no central lighting in the bathroom, which left the tub area almost completely in the dark. I was told that I could park in front of my ground floor room, but there was a party going on at the apartments across the parking lot, and the hotel made no effort to protect its own parking from the overflow. When I returned to my room at 9 p.m., I had to park much further away than I liked, staying alone in a Mid-Town Tucson hotel. When I awoke the next morning, I was having trouble breathing, and my asthma was under excellent control when I arrived. Again, I have had asthma for over 20 years, and I have never had trouble in any hotel in a non-smoking room. I moved up to the Westward Look Resort for the remainder of my stay. The Westward Look is a much older location, but the rooms are always fresh and well - lit, parking is ample, and requests for assistance are met promptly.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo