“A nice getaway but could be better” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lodge on the Desert

Lodge on the Desert
Ranked #24 of 127 Hotels in Tucson
NYC
“A nice getaway but could be better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

This place was fine for us, but it seems like it once might have been pretty great. It’s a teensy bit rundown, and the bathroom needed renovation, but we liked the walled-in feeling of the resort, with the winding paths to you room. We were assured we would have internet connection in our room but we did not. Apparently pet friendly rooms are in the older buildings and the walls prevent reception. It was disappointing and they did nothing to accommodate us. The on-site restaurant is acceptable but you wouldn’t choose it if it wasn’t so convenient.

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

We stay at the Lodge on the Desert when we visit our daughter at the University of Arizona. It's a perfect location close to the college with affordable rooms, and discounts offered for families of the U of A. The rooms are very nice and spacious. I would recommend one of the spa suites, which are nicely appointed and large! The staff is very friendly and helpful, and the hotel is close to retail shopping such as Target, Starbucks, and restaurants.

Room Tip: Spa suites in the newer section of the hotel
3 Thank passionate1217
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

The room was awesome the bed was extremely comfortable. The tv was small for the rooms being so pricy. The service was average it took me 4 hours to book a room due to me having a gift certificate.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Dwatkins777
wash dc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

This review is referencing my daughter's earlier review titled "ruined my graduation". We'd like to say that the Lodge has redeemed themselves.

Frank, the manager at the lodge on the desert, was very accommodating the next day after the incident and has continued to be very hospitable to her needs. After the review was written he agreed to comp my entire stay and been very solicitous to my husband and I's well being. Our family has been affiliated with the Lodge for decades (my brother in law got married there, my mother in law had her 90th birthday party there, etc.) and we are happy to continue this relationship. The food and lodging are great, and outside of this mishap we have always had great service.

1 Thank cotswag
MKeynes England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012 via mobile

Was really impressed with the complex, lovely swimming pool and impressive cactus garden. What let down the experience for us as a family with two teenage daughters was that the apartments were only equipped for two ( 2 dressing gowns, 2 chairs in living room) and although they were 2 bedroomed, there was no doors on the bedrooms, making it all rather open.
There was no safe in the room and the safes on reception were unable to cope with valuables as large as an iPad. Ended up carrying our valuables around with us for the duration of our stay.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MK_Cobbler
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

This was possibly one of the worst experiences of my life, this hotel ruined my special graduation weekend.

My mother flew across the country with my father who is very handicapped and is in a wheel chair. She made a reservation for a ground floor handicapped room FOUR MONTHS AGO and today my aunt went to make sure everything was okay. She was informed that they would have a second floor room because they'd run out of ground floor rooms. Really helpful considering my dad is in a wheel chair and there is no elevator. My aunt tells them what my family needs and they say that they will be able to accommodate for when they arrive that evening.

My mother finally makes it to the hotel, and not only do they not have a ground floor room but they are all out of handicap accessible rooms. They then had no other choice but send her to a strange hotel on the east side of town and have made no grievances to repay her for what they have done. I'm writing this yelp review so that everyone knows that the customer service here has LITERALLY been the worst I have ever experienced.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Kelsey W
Frank R, General Manager at Lodge on the Desert, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
This situation was caused by our staff missing the specifics of this guests reservation. There are no excuses from our hotel, we simply made a serious mistake. I have spoken with the mother of the reviewer and the mother and father will be staying with us tonight and for the balance of their original reservation. I indicated to the mother of the reviewer that we sincerely apologize for this reservation mistake and that they will receive the Lodge on the Desert's gracious service and will also receive the balance of their stay as our guests on a comlimentary basis as a gesture of our sincerity. This being graduation weekend, we are at 100%, but are taking this position to make this families graduation and reunion stay as happy as it was originally intended. My conversation with our guests, the mother and father, was pleasant and they were appreciative of our efforts to correct this error on our part. I am confident that they will enjoy the balance of their stay at the Lodge on the Desert.
Mechanicsville, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

Recently my wife and I stayed at the Lodge (May 1-7, 2012). Wonderful place, near the airport,close to town, shopping, restaurants and places to visit. Clean spacious rooms, manicured grounds, and a very pleasant and courteous staff. Our first evening, we arranged to meet some friends there and decided to spend time in the pool enclave under the pergola. The entrances to this area are either by the business center door, or via the back entrance door to the pool enclave. No signs were posted in the sitting area or near it. This area is separated from the pool by a bed of bushes about 2 ft. high and accomodates two tables with glass tops. The four of us sat at one of the tables with our drinks in glasses.

From the business center door, there emerged a man followed by a younger lady; the man raised his voice at us: "No glasses permitted in the pool; you can get paper cups from the bar." Then looking at me and pointing his finger he said in an accusatory tone: "Didn't I talk to you before?" None of us had seen this man before; we just got up and complied with his request without saying a word. My wife went to the bar and got the paper cups. All of us were offended by this man's actions. The next morning, I went to the front desk to inquire about the identity of this person; the person at the desk informed me that he was the general manager, Frank Rodriguez, and the desk clerk wanted to know the reason for my inquiry and I told him the story and added that a sign prohibiting glass containers should be posted and the glass table top removed. I also added that I not only a guest but also Mr. Rodriguez's senior in age and deserve better treatment. The person told me that the area is not considered part of the pool.

It would be wrong of me to low rate the efforts of so many staff members even Mr. Rodriguez's own efforts in keeping the place in such a good shape. When we visit Tucson again, we will again stay at Lodge on the Desert and hope that the Coastal Hotel Group will enroll Mr. Rodriguez in a customer relations course for hospitality managers and that they see that he completes the course satisfactorily.

5 Thank shotarustavelli
It goes without saying that my behavior was not only unacceptable but misunderstood within this review. I will not attempt to make any excuses for how I was depicted but only state that my intentions were not as they were described. I appreciated the kinds words about our hotel and our staff and can only assure the reviewer that this description is how we all serve our guests, myself included. A hotel does not have the high standards for service without each and every member of its staff, including its management, following the same standards. The Lodge on the Desert is known for its service and any negative situations contrary to that is taken seriously and with detailed attention. I have contacted this guest personally and have assured them that the circumstance they described was unfortunately misunderstood but sincerely regretful. I have made myself available to them upon their return to our hotel and will insure that their experience, with our staff, is as they described, including there interaction with the General Manager, Frank Rodriguez.