New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices
Ranked #146 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Abilene, Texas
“Great Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 7 nights to attend an Air Force graduation. The staff were very friendly, and we had no issues. They are pet friendly, and they were great with cleaning our room and not letting our kitten out of the room while we were gone! Our bed was a bit uncomfortable...it was actually really firm...almost like laying on wood, but it was not unbearable. Also, the complimentary breakfast was poor. There was not a big selection, and the tables were not cleaned. The housekeeping was excellent. Our room was always clean, and we always had fresh clothes and a made bed. It is a great stay for the amount of money we spent. Not a 4-star hotel or anything...but I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sarah S, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Central San Antonio, responded to this review, 20 December 2012
Dear Valued Guest, We appreciate your taking the time to give us a good review. We are absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We hope to see you again on your next visit to San Antonio.

Sarah Stefano
Sales Director
Howard Johnson San Antonio Central
6901 W Interstate 10
San Antonio, TX 78213
T: (210) 738-1100 Ext. 304
F: (210) 738-1230
E: hojosalessa@gmail.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Bentonville, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

My family of 4 stayed here for 3 nights during the week at an incredible low price. Our GPS was having issues, so we called the front desk and the lady was so helpful! She stayed on the phone with us until we finally found the hotel! Our room was very large and very clean. The beds are pretty soft, but the pillows weren't the greatest. We brought our own pillows, thank goodness. The pool was nice and clean. The breakfast was average. Overall, we thought it was a great price for a large room. It was nice and quiet during our stay. Next time we are in San Antonio, we will stay here again.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
olive branch, ms
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

stayed here 4 days. these people are so nice. i loved our room. freezer needed to be defrosted but at least the air cond.worked and the drinks stayed cold in the fridge. everybody was so nice and helpful. this place was clean and well taken care of. if you have a coupon from a pizza delivery place do not order anything. do not give your credit card . do not call them. I did but didnt give my cc . before the pizza came we went to the lobby to wait on him and was given info as to we should be careful and check our food. glad she told me that. i checked my pizza and it looked like a poorly homemade pizza. i didnt accept it. it was not the hotels fault, they have no connection to this pizza place. thanks for saving me guys ! lol. i will definately stay again and will recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: these employees are very helpful and will be glad to draw you a map if you need help
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
David P, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Central San Antonio, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write us a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

David Patel
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

My dad and I were travelling to see family. We decided for the comfort of everyone to book a hotel for 8 nights. I knew that if I wanted luxury, I would have to spend between 800-1200 on a hotel, but I decided to allocate that money elsewhere. I was very very hesitant to book an economy hotel,but after searching and reading tons of reviews, I finally landed on Howard Johnson. I read all the reviews, mostly the negative one's. I did the sign of the cross and booked it. Then I asked, "oh man, what did I do?" I'm a germ freak, so I packed for the worse(including Lysol).We picked up the rental car ( you will need it, as the hotel is about 15 minutes from downtown) and drove to the hotel, I am unfamiliar with the area and with the confusing loops on the freeway, so I got lost even with a NAVI. It's next door to a Shell gas station, and across from a Target and a Dave N Buster.

The parking lot was lonely, pretty mellow in the lobby, a bit dark. The cafeteria is next to the lobby and they provide continental breakfast that ends at 9am. At check in, I requested a room on the first floor, for my Dad's sake. I expected the worst, but as I opened the door, and was pleasantly surprised. It was a suite. Living area, couch, spacious. First thing I did was check the sheets, clean, no spots, nothing foreign. Glad. Bathroom was clean. Tv a bit old, but hey, it is an older hotel. I wouldn't walk barefoot, I don't anywhere anyhow. The room felt clean, I didn't get that icky feeling. I had antibacterial wipes, so I wiped down the common areas just in case, but I do that wherever I go... especially the remote control to the TV... you'll never know.

The bed and pillows were comfy.The shower had good pressure. No problems with hot or cold water. Towels were clean. There was a bit of mildew outside on the floor of the tub, but I didn't mind it. The walls looked newly painted. There is a refrigerator( clean) microwave( clean) and coffee pot. My dad is the coffee drinker, so I washed the inside of the coffee pot and glass just in case. I used bottled water for the brewing. There is no kitchen sink. No insects, no bed bugs, nothing. The snack and ice machine iwere in working condition.

The room is equipped with A.C. There is an open courtyard in the middle of the structure and all the rooms surround it. Very green, fresh and airy. Peaceful. The pool is adjacent to the courtyard. Since I was staying for 8 days, I asked housekeeping not to change sheets, I was comfortable with the ones there. The hotel is adjacent to the freeway( no freeway noise) it is a quiet neighborhood, no noise at night.There was a dog in the room two doors down, we didn't hear it bark. I felt the hotel was in a safe area. The hotel has really bright lights at night for extra security. There are side doors of the hotel that remain locked at all times, this way you don't have to enter through the lobby all the time.

I thank those negative reviews! I proved them wrong. I paid 42 a night, and If I had to, I would stay there again. It met my needs, comfortable, reliable. There is a washer and dryer on site, take coins. I set it on cold but the the hot water was pouring out... I noticed that the connection was incorrect. But I forgot to report it. Great housekeeping staff, front desk was great. The hotel was great for the value. Well kept. No restaurant on site, but there are places that deliver food to your room. I ordered pizza from Pizza Hut. Ihop, Denny's, Mcdonalds, Wendy's are all a close drive Can't go wrong if you are on a budget! .

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank elvelasquez
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

I did choose this hotel because it´s right in the center of everything. Try to locate it in google earth ( 29°29'38.75"N / 98°32'47.02"O) and you´ll notice it. Walmarts, JCPennys, SEARS, Best Buy, HEB, Sea World, Six Flags, Shops at the Cantera, Downtown San Antonio... when I mean everything, It is everything!!! Nothing is more than 10 minutes driving from this hotel.

Now lets get you informed:

- Family hotel
- No pets allowed (Thank god!), have nothing against them, just dont like to think I´m resting where a dog or cat has been too.
- You could think it is a expensive hotel and IT WILL BE if you do not reserve in advance your accomodations. I booked from --------------- and got a 35.99 / tax included. Otherwise I would have payed 74.99 plus tax... thats a good deal!

Also, if you need to leave (like we did) you can talk to the managger in charge or front desk guy/girl and they will respect you online fee next time you come back!! Yes! and that I did and worked fine... They gave me a room for the online fee I made my reservations form the first stay.

THE GOOD:

1) Location as I alredy explained
2) Service is excelent, front desk workers are friendly and bilingual
3) You always get what you need right away (towells, extra coffe, extra pillow)
4) The cleanning service respects your stuff
5) You can leave the room near 1pm and it will still be done by the room keepers
6) Always HOT watter
7) Clean rooms, not smelly
8) The 10 and 410 are walking distance but no severe noice is recieved
9) The 10 and 410 are near (right in front of the hotel)... so you can go anywhere
10) All rooms have safe, microwave and a small living room
11) All have an iron, hair drying and some other amenities
12) The doors of the room face the inside of the hotel (yo feel more safe)
13) All the rooms only window face parking lot so you can check you car
14) Parking lot is always under secutiry cams, dont know if they work but shure they works as scare crows for theafs.
15) You get a kind of continental breakfast not so good, not so bad and you can take it to your room
16) Heatting machine worked fine
17) Coffe machine was there, never used it.
18) Clean sheets, clean pillows, clean floor, clean bath tube.

THE BAD:
1) The room doors face the inside of the facilities, so if you´re shopping you will have to carry your stuff all the way in
2) I stayed 3 nights (room perfect) then next week 3 nights again (room with microwave malfunctions and a severe hardwore short cut in the electric instalation)
3) It is near the 10 and 410 so you will need some practice to get to this hotel from any direction... why? because its near where the 10 and 410 intersect and there is a mayor highway 6 stories high structure that can be a little confusing first and second time.
4) The ceilling fan (rotor like) was SO dirty it looked like a 100 y/o, not a problem aldo we did not use it (it was winter time)

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Renan M
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

I had a great time here, it was quite, clean, and close to everything I needed. I did have a hard time trying to get out on the freeway. I talked to the hotel clerk and he told me how to save time and distance to get on the freeway and to go to the mall across the freeway. He drew me a map which was great. It was a lot faster. You just went around the block. No big deal. Everything I needed is close by. The staff went out of their way to make sure my stay was a great one. The freeway right by the hotel never heard the traffic or cars close by. I would definitely stay there again. The room was big and clean the beds were very comfortable.

Room Tip: Just be courteous to the staff and they will return the favor. Have patience with them if they are b...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Pensacola, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

OLD hotel but the rooms were HUGE. We stayed in a suite which was VERY roomy and accommodated us beautifully! Truth be told, I did clean the suite after we checked in but I usually do that when we stay in a hotel. The beds were awesome. We rested very well. We heard NO noise from the hallway or the neighbors. The old building is very well sound protected and the parking lot was well lit.

We were all impressed with the staff and the way the place was maintained. The courtyard was lovely and landscaped. Breakfast was handy and the coffee was great!

The staff was helpful and friendly from check in to check out. We needed the help of the maintenance staff. They were fast, efficient and cleaned up behind themselves.

This was an excellent value and we enjoyed everything/everyone we encountered.

Room Tip: This is an excellent location for any vacation/visit to San Antonio. I-10 is very handy and there i...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family