“Sometimes you find the unexpected in strange places”
Review of Botika

Botika
Reserve with OpenTable
Botika is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #308 of 5,053 Restaurants in San Antonio
Reviewed March 10, 2017

This is an unusual restaurant--the cuisine is Asian-Peruvian and the Latin accent is unexpected and strangely enhancing. The place is one of the restaurants at the "Pearl," the old site of Emma Koehler's Pearl Brewery that is now an up and coming shopping-eating destination about 2 miles north of Alamo Square. We had lunch here, and ordered up five of the eight dim sum appetizers on the menu. The roast pork buns were steamed to perfection and delicious. The gyoza were amongst the best ever; spring rolls crisp and steaming and the ribs were the best spare ribs we have ever had anywhere--and we have been to all the Southern and Western states known for barbecue and lived in Alabama for six years before returning to New York. The service was friendly and outstanding and the menu was reasonably priced. If you are on your way to one of the museums north of the Alamo, it is worth going out of your way to eat here.

Management response:Responded March 18, 2017

Thank you so much for your kind words, we truly appreciate them we'll let our team know about it, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 9, 2017

Wow! We wanted to see if this restaurant was really as good as the top rating by San Antonio Express-News reviewers. They gave it a rating that suggests that it can compete nationally. This is a rating that is rarely given even to top restaurants in the area. As a group of seven we were able to order a number of different dishes and share. I must say that I enjoyed every one of them. The service that we received (Jamie) was superb. Prices are not outrageous. We will certainly return.

Management response:Responded March 10, 2017

Thank you for your kind words, we truly appreciate them, we'll make sure to let our staff know, and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed February 24, 2017

Came here for my wife's birthday and we were not disappointed. Chosen because we had never tried Peruvian food, this place is a fusion of South American and Asian cuisine, which works well. Particularly recommend Loma Soldato which is a Peruvian favourite. Great atmosphere and helpful, attentive staff. Sushi looked wonderful although we didn't try it.

1  Thank kinwafu
Management response:Responded March 10, 2017

Thank you for your kind words, we'll make sure to let our staff know and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 20, 2017

We jumped at the chance to try Botika during Restaurant Week. After reading a stellar review in the newspaper by our San Antonio food critic, we were hyped. Maybe we were expecting too much based on that exemplary review. Our experience was good, but not the sublime experience we expected.

We ordered the optional wine flight to accompany the special Restaurant Week menu. Our first course arrived, and the green papaya salad with nut dressing was delicious. We had finished it and were well into our second course before our first wine arrived. Likewise, the second course (soup) was done and our entree had been served long before our second wine tasting arrived.

So service was not timed correctly. But this was not the worst problem. For a main course, I ordered the vegetarian option of Crispy Tofu and Greens Fried Rice. It was tasty but as I ate and poked around in the rice dish, I realized there was a major malfunction. There was no tofu in my tofu fried rice! It took quite some time to get the attention of our server. Finally I was able to report the problem. She removed my dish. And then I waited and waited and waited.

We didn't see our server again. Finally, a manager happened to stop by and ask how everything was. I said I was still waiting for my entrée. He managed to produce the dish a few minutes later. This time around it did include tofu and was good, very flavorful with a spicy kick.

My companion's entrée was very disappointing. He had the Caja China slow roasted pork with green plantain fries. The pork was a cube of dry meat with a thick slab of fat. He would not recommend this dish.

Dessert was excellent. The Hong Kong style mango pudding was out of this world. The banana eggrolls with chocolate rum sauce were also very good but could have used a little more banana filling.

Overall, we hope to try this restaurant again. It has a chic atmosphere and innovative menu, but didn't quite live up to our expectations for service. And the "tofu" fried rice mishap, with the lackluster effort to quickly correct the error, really was not what we expected from a place so highly rated. With so many choices available in San Antonio, we aren't in a hurry to rush back here.

Management response:Responded February 24, 2017

Hi! i'm Geronimo Lopez, Chef and Manager at BOTIKA, thank you for your feedback, we truly appreciate the opportunity to get better as the new establishment we are, certainly ResT Week put our limits to the test, but we feel confident that we can deliver so much more, please feel free to direct any comment or question to me at geronimo@botikapearl.com

We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed February 18, 2017

Excited when I saw Botika was participating in Restaurant Week. What a letdown.

Spouses app & entree showed up simultaneously. Nothing for me.

When mine finally arrived, the empanada with spicy sauce was excellent. Come to find out the star of the dish - the spicy sauce- is NOT on the regular menu. Sorta defeats the purpose of participating in Restaurant Week.

Shoulda known better to order the pork belly. Way too fatty for my taste.

The dessert was excellent.

Probably will not be returning.

Management response:Responded February 24, 2017

Hi!
I'm Geronimo Lopez, Chef and Manager at BOTIKA, We appreciate your feedback, allow me to apologize if your experience with us was not up to your standard. I can agree that the volume we handled during Rest Week was a test to our capacity, but no excuse for our shortcomings.

I hope you decide to give us another try in the future, please feel free to direct any question or comment to me at geronimo@botikapearl.com.

Cheers!

Been to Botika? Share your experiences!