See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed September 5, 2018

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary here. We stayed in the Bartholomew suite downstairs; it is the only room located on the first floor with a private entrance. Our room was nice and bright. The bed was probably the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in at any hotel, Air BNB, or Home Away rental. The pool was the best part of our stay! The Innkeeper was very attentive and friendly. We would definitely stay here again but would like to try the other rooms. There was a lot of light and street noise in our room. They do provide ear plugs for guests. If I had to make any recommendations, it would be to install darkening shades in this room. Even though there was street noise, it does quiet down at night. I'm a very light sleeper and did not wake once in the middle of the night. The neighborhood is fantastic for strolling through. Monte Vista is filled with beautiful and unique homes. The rooftop deck is also fabulous! I would suggest booking a night there when San Antonio has scheduled fireworks! The views of the downtown skyline are amazing. We live right outside of San Antonio and Bonner Gardens was perfect for our staycation!

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
TerinL3, General Manager at Bonner Gardens Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you so much for your kind review, Shaunty! I’m so glad you and your husband enjoyed the pool and were able to sleep well despite being in our downstairs room. Luckily the thick, concrete walls and heavy wooden doors isolate a lot of the noise from the street and guests coming and going, but as you mentioned, the ear plugs are just a safety net so everyone can get the best sleep possible!

I will definitely get Venetian blinds in the Bayou Bartholomew room. Our other rooms are equipped, but this particular room was our last to have them installed in, so we definitely have it on the books.

Staycations are the best vacations :) we hope to welcome you and your husband back in the near future.

Till then,

Reviewed July 3, 2018

This property is an absolute gem. My friends and I rented the entire building for an overnight bachelorette party in March and was impressed with the beauty of the grounds, the building and the excellent customer service that was provided. Each room in the house was stunning and tastefully decorated. Not to mention the pool is gorgeous. Too cold for us to swim in it, Terin went and bought large floaties so that our party could float on the water with cocktails and relax. Terin was an amazing hostess and was very attentive to all of our needs. I was just browsing to possibly rent again and felt the need to convey the excellent experience we had.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank tracymarievigil
Terin L, General Manager at Bonner Gardens Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2018

Thank you, THANK YOU, traceymarievigil, for the kind words regarding your stay in March. You ladies were an absolute delight to host, and I hope to welcome you back for a solo getaway when you’re ready :) we strive to keep getting better and better every day.

Till then,

Reviewed June 14, 2018 via mobile

I can’t really give this a fair review since we booked and paid for a room on Airbnb. The Bonner staff/owner never responded, so Airbnb kindly canceled the room and we had to find another place to stay. No real reason provided. All fees
were refunded.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Terin L, General Manager at Bonner Gardens Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2018

Hello, Diane-

All of our AirBnB bookings come through as “inquiries”- as you said, for some reason we either missed the inquiry or didn’t respond within the timeframe that AirBnB gives us (the room may have also been booked or inquired about last minute). AirBnB will not run your credit card until AFTER the reservation is approved, so I’m not sure how or why you were refunded when the booking with us never even happened.

I’m sorry you did not get to experience the Bonner Gardens- our website www.bonnergardens.com is a great tool to use to reserve a room and also avoids all of the hassle and fees of AirBnB.

We certainly strive to provide a wonderful experience for everyone from booking to check out time, and again, we are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Reviewed March 26, 2018 via mobile

We did our research prior to picking a BnB. Checked out various sites and noticed this one being 5 star, so we were EXCITED! We were sorely disappointed. The grounds are not plush like the online pictures showed. Had a chance to view most of the rooms. There was one in particular that needed remodeling with missing cabinet knobs and peeling paint. Maybe the owners were going for the antique feel but these mishaps did not add to the charm. Truth be told this place was a similar caliber of a Red Roof Inn...no bells and whistles, just a decent place to lay your head. We've stayed at many BnBs and found that this one was the least personable. At other places, breakfast is homemade and guests normally together at least in the same room. At BG, everyone was separated...including limited staff. The breakfast was lackluster... a sandwich with a runny egg on it. Perhaps if you're wanting inclusivity, staff should give options. We were not fans of the picnic baskets being left at the door thing. The only personal gesture was the handwritten note enclosed in the basket that reminded guests about the check out time. We didn't have a horrible experience only because we made the best of the situation. I would not recommend this place to no one.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Terin L, General Manager at Bonner Gardens Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2018

Hello there!

Thank you so much for taking the time to express your concerns regarding your recent stay with us. I’m sorry we did not meet your expectations.

Firstly, as you said you did your research. I am quite surprised that you missed the info on our website about the self check in process for ease of coming and going...most of our guests come from Austin, Dallas and Houston- heavy traffic makes it really hard for folks to be at Bonner at a designated check in time. I’m also surprised you missed it in our confirmation email that is sent as soon as you book. We try to manage guest expectations as best as possible.

For one, every single room in the house except the Atlee Ayer’s bathroom has been repainted. There is a fresh coat of paint in every room excluding that one because of our reluctance to paint over some original artwork from the previous owners. We did actually revisit the issue in the last couple of days and are hoping to have the whole bathroom scraped and repainted once we get past these next few very busy weeks. In no way were we trying to go for an antique look, and our photos definitely reflect how modern this B&B is.

Breakfast being lackluster- while this is a completely subjective statement, we would like to add that the bread on your sandwich was made from scratch, the gruyere and bacon were top quality, and the runny egg is how we serve the dish usually. We could have fixed it if it was issue. There was no mention of the fresh baked banana bread, fruit, fresh ground coffee and juice. And, as our website also says, we are not your traditional B&B where you sit around a dining table. We try to accommodate every guest’s needs, and not everyone wants to sit around strangers at breakfast time anymore, either. BUT, if I see guests wanting to interact, I always offer the dining room. I’m sorry our innkeeper on-site that day did not. The picnic basket is for ease to eat on the rooftop, in your room, or by the pool.

Grounds not being posh- at first I was confused as to which property you were staying at, but then I saw the fountain picture. We will do our best to fix the pond and are still working on some landscaping in the 118 year old Victorian garden you pointed out.

At Bonner Gardens, we truly strive to do our very best. We’ve been open for about 7 months, so there are still some kinks to be worked out. Constructive feedback is always welcome. We are working on some other guest experiences, such as a mimosa bar on the weekends and yoga on the rooftop, but those are all works in process.

I would love to welcome you back to meet you back personally and show you what our B&B is really about.

Regards,

Reviewed February 26, 2018 via mobile

We were here for 3 pleasant nights, and had a lovely room w windows on 2 sides on 1st floor, and adjoining bath. King 4 poster bed was wonderfully comfortable. Wi-Fi was robust. Breakfast delivered to door was healthy, filling, and excellent strong coffee. Public rooms were beautifully restored as well.
Decor & architecture reminded us of a lovely Relais & Chateau property we’d stayed at outside Florence. A bit of traffic noise outside, but overall fascinating house. Terin was our fine hostess! Thanks!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family

Hi Nick!

Thank you so much for the kind words regarding your stay with us!

Our breakfasts are our pride and joy- we feel like our guests get the latest that you would find at trendy cafes and bistros delivered right to your door- healthy is always an added bonus.

We hope to welcome you, your lovely wife, and son back the next time you’re in San Antonio. Hopefully when the pool is warmer :)

-Terin