“Problems from beginning to end”

Candlewood Suites San Antonio Downtown
Ranked #128 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
London, United Kingdom
“Problems from beginning to end”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

Let's see where do I start with this hotel....

Firstly, the hotel couldn't find our reservation when we checked in last Tuesday, the lady at Front desk was very nice and had to make a new reservation and get the IHG res to cancel theirs.

Secondly, I got charged for a Candlewood suites hotel at The Woodlands in TX, which myself and my boyfriend had never ever stayed at! This is now pending payment going back to my account.

Thirdly, I had left the USA on 6th June to return back to the UK, and paid partial amount on the bill, whilst my partner stayed an extra night before checking out. When he checked out, the hotel charged my card!
This is now going to be refunded back to me, but I will NOT be staying at ANY of the IHG hotels from now on. I am a priority club member, and believe this is such a huge error and distress to cause someone! All my money had gone because of the hotel and I have been left distressed trying to get money back.

I have spoken to guest relations here in the UK who is going to help to sort this out.

I will not recommend this hotel to ANYONE, due to the fact that if you guarantee a hotel and are advised you pay when you CHECK OUT, you are not automatically charged unless you want to pay by another means.

I am very unhappy and this hotel is not recommended.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Gatineau, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2011

My wife and I have been most impressed with our two-day stay at this hotel. Easy to find even without GPS. Our ground-floor room was on the opposite side of the HWY and was appropriate for a good night of sleep.
The room was clean, attractively decorated, the beds were comfortable. The listing of TV channels was of a great help for the Canadian guest that we were.
THe staff has been very helpful. We enjoyed the whirpool and regretted that the pool was not heated. The little store and its managing system were convenient and appropriate.
Although we were there during the weekend, being less than a mile from downtown, diving anywhere was easy and rapid.
This hotel offers remarkable value for the price of its rooms. Greatly recommended.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jean Marie M
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2010

We stayed here Sunday night and Monday night. The only negative was that it was a little bit hard to get to, but it was only a few minutes from downtown. It is pretty new, and everything was spotless. We swam, the pool was clean, and the hot tub was nice and hot. There was a grill out there too. They had a gym, a business center, and a free laundromat. There was a mini-convenience store. No breakfast, but you could buy stuff in the little store and fix it in your room kitchen. Be sure and turn on your ice maker as soon as you arrive! The rooms and bathrooms were roomy, the A/C worked great! The manager James was very helpful. The rooms have DVD players and you can borrow movies from the desk. They also have free wi-fi. Very nice!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank 4andadog
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

This was the best of three Candlewood Suites hotels that I have stayed at. It was recently opened and all of the amenities were in tip-top shape. The hotel is not located within walking distance from any convience store or restraunt. There is a full kitchen in every room, so make sure you stock it with groceries. The in-hotel pantry has reasonable prices and will supply most of your basic needs.

PROs
This is one of the few Candlewoods that has room service every day.
Friendly staff.
Immaculate condition. Although the place is new, it is obvious the management is aggresive in maintaining the hotel in it's current state and making rapid repairs as required.
This is the best business center that I have stayed at. The computers were new, all-in-one printer was available, and you could fax items yourself.

Close to Interstate.

CONs

Candlewood Suites is a long term stay hotel, but it accepts short term bookings through internet agencies - thus becomes extremely busy on weekends with the hotel booked at over capacity when the weekend crowd checks in and out. Waiting for the elevator on Sunday morning is a painful process.

Parking is difficult on weekends.

The staff become overwhelmed by the weekend crowd and cannot provide adequate service to guests, despite their best efforts. Many of the weekend guests do not understand that they are in a long term stay hotel and pester the staff with the same questions like "Where is the ice machine?" (Each room has an ice maker in the refrigerator, but you have to turn it on to make ice - quite a convienence for long term guests)

Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
6 Thank AirborneShodan60
Henderson, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

I was there for Daughters Graduation at Lackland AFB. Hotel right off the freeway 20 drive to Lackland. Rooms nice with Refrig. stove dishwasher two queens beds. No large table for eating.We made do. If you want to walk to riverwalk we did but it took us 35 minutes. I would drive next time. Took a cab back to hotel cost 7.00. I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Kona Ken m
Leander, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2010

First of all the hotel is not in walking distance to the riverwalk or the marketplace! It is in a more shady part of town. The hotel was new and nice, thought i book a one room with two seperate rooms inside, not the case it was two queens in one room. So we check in and then head to the pool (all lights off) , i go back up about an hour later to get my kids swim gear and notice when i walk in that a light over the table is turn on. My purse is also under this light so i figure i just better check, sure enough i am missing $15 (which i had when i checked in because i took it out of my pant pocket and put it in my purse) when i call the front desk he said he would check with housekeeping. He called back like 3mins later saying they said no ones been in there (go figure, "did anyone steal $15" "no" ) nothing else was done about it. And also the walls are paper thin so if you are a light sleeper dont stay here, we could hear every word of the people coming in at 12:30am til they went to sleep at 2:00am. Stay closer to the riverwalk next time for the same price thats what I would recommend!

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family