All reviews street noise complimentary wine afternoon cookies wood floors noise machine tall ceilings bed and breakfast third floor small hotel the river walk historical building common areas boutique hotel convention center modern amenities chain hotels the location is perfect
Reviewed March 6, 2012

We found this hotel on TripAdvisor and only stayed here one night before heading to Austin for my work conference, but we wish we could've stayed at the Riverwalk Vista the whole time! I'll admit that I was a little wary when we walked up to the hotel front sandwiched in between a McDonald's and a Subway, but the interior, charm and service more than made up for this - we LOVED this hotel. It was so convenient to walk to and from the boardwalk, the huge shower in the modern bathroom was great, the homemade dishes in the breakfast buffet were a tasty treat (not to mention what a cool dining room!), even the little touches like the fishbowl on the desk were sweet. The (aforementioned perfect blend of vintage & modern) interior of the hotel felt like staying in the house of that impossibly cool friend from college who now has a beautiful family and the great job that pays a lot without the long hours, you know the one :). All this for less than what we paid at a Hampton Inn in Buda, TX, mind you - unreal. Can't recommend it enough!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ojvm2526
Reviewed March 3, 2012

We came down for a long weekend in early winter. For a hotel that is right on the riverwalk (our window did have a view of it) this was a great choice. It's a converted department store, which gave it a lot of charm. Our room had 12ft high ceilings, a thoroughly modern bath, and a cute fish to welcome us. You wander up the wooden staircases and brick walls to the wonderful breakfast bar every morning. The helpful staff makes sure that you have everything you need from a prompt taxi pick up to extra fruit left out in the sitting area. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lsquared79
Reviewed February 21, 2012

We stayed for one night at this hotel in the Hugman Suite. The views from the windows are fantastic --- great for people watching from the comfort of your bed.

The room was quite spacious with extra high ceilings.

Note that this room can be quite loud from the outside noise of traffic and pedestrians -- did not bother me, but if you are a light sleeper, this may not be the best room for you as it has several windows that might add to the noise. They do have a white noise machine which I used and liked.

Breakfast was put out and had a good selection of fresh fruit, pastries, bagels, bread, cereal. I thought it was a nice touch that they had "to-go" coffee cups and lids next to the coffee should you want to take some coffee with you.

I thought the location of the hotel was great. Walking distance from the Riverwalk - basically steps away from it. Also just around the corner from the Alamo. Many shops nearby too.

The staff was warm and friendly, and check in was in your room which is different, but not bad since the innkeeper will show you were things are in your room.

Just a couple of notes: the lighting in the bathroom/shower area is dim -- would have been great if the lighting was on a dimmer instead. Also, the AC unit located on the wall above the bed was blowing out a small amount of black dust -- not too much but enough that you could notice it on the white bedding. The innkeeper tried to help clean the unit and also offered to move us to a different room -- we decided to just shut off the AC unit and stay in the room as the views were great, plus the AC was not really needed since the weather was cool out. The other thing that would have been great is valet parking. Hotel does not have parking -- had to drop bags off, then move the car to a parking garage --- not bad when I was there but would be pretty inconvienient if it was raining.

Overall, even with those minor items (the parking mostly), this place really is great and I would stay here again when I'm visiting San Antonio.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SilverStream
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The "Vista Inn" is centrally located in San Antonio near the Alamo (about a block away) and right across the street from the Riverwalk. It oozes with charm and the staff is very friendly.

The only down sides:
Can be noisy depending on day / time when revelers come out of the Riverwalk and where your room is. On Saturday night it was quite noisy and woke me up several times.

There was no wi-fi. They ave wired DSL, but the many "Free wifi" hotspots they mentioned when we checked in never panned out.

Despite those problems, I give it top marks and would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank veffekt
RiverwalkVista, General Manager at Riverwalk Vista, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2012

Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay at the Riverwalk Vista. I do apologize if you could not pick up one of the three wireless signals as we had a brief interruption in early February. Glad to know you were able to access the high speed DSL as a back up in your room. We currently have three wireless routers to assure all of our guests receive a strong signal in each room and all of the common areas. Hope to see you again soon.

Catherine Hix
Innkeeper
Riverwalk Vista

Reviewed January 30, 2012

I absolutely adored this charming hotel, from the moment I checked in, to the moment I had to leave. The whole experience was surreal, like stepping back in time, when service and quality really meant something.
There seems to be no small touch that isn't provided at this hotel. Breakfast in the morning, a snack in the afternoon, wine at five, a teddy bear on every bed, luxurious bathroom.

This hotel is perfectly placed for the Convention Centre, and Riverwalk, and due to this my room was actually was used as a stop off point for all my colleagues attending my conference.
The innkeepers were so friendly and full of great information.
I will return here as soon as I can.

Room Tip: You can't choose a bad room here.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business