“Great place to stay for work or pleasure”
Review of Riverwalk Vista

Riverwalk Vista
Ranked #27 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Kentucky
“Great place to stay for work or pleasure”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Just returned from a week long stay in San Antonio at the Riverwalk Vista. The main purpose of the trip was to attend a conference at the Henry B. Gonzales Convention Center but I added a few days for a mini-vacation. I was impressed in countless ways by the service and experience but I will try to include a few here:

+ Location, location, location. For me, the hotel was in the absolute perfect location. I read in other reviews that it was located "just minutes" away from everything but that is an understatement. It is literally 3 minutes from the Rivercenter Mall, 2 minutes from the Alamo, 3 minutes from the Convention Center, and adjacent to the Riverwalk with all of its attractions.

+ The experience. I like old stuff. I also like it when old things are re-purposed to extend their useful life. Therefore I love how they have converted the upper floors of an old commercial building into a very comfortable place to stay. It is no understatement to say it "feels like home" and that it is nothing like staying in the typical high-rise hotel in a downtown area. From spending time in my room to spending time with others in the common areas of the hotel, I loved the comfortable chairs, easy music, and overall feeling of the place.

+ The staff. This is the truly special part. Everyone we met was friendly, helpful, and a pleasure to deal with. Thank you to Catherine for all your help with check-in and dinner reservations. A big thanks to Jean for saving me with a last minute set of dinner reservations for a very large group we were meeting with. And thank you to Patty for all the information about the area, some great cookies, and those carrot and cinnamon muffins Sunday morning. Everyone was great.

And the negatives? I don't really have any. Many others have written reviews mentioning the large amount of noise from the streets below. That was my largest single concern since I was making arrangements for and travelling with 8 others for this trip. However, my concerns were unfounded. I personally didn't even notice the noise when going to sleep and I didn't hear any serious complaints from the rest of the group. It should be noted that our stay coincided with 2 Spurs home games, Spring Break and the first 80 degree weather of the year, and St. Patrick's Day weekend with all of its associated activities. That has to be a "worst case" scenario!

Bottom line. I loved it and I'm looking for an excuse to return.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank JimInKentucky

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Perfect location, right by the riverwalk. Our room had a view of the other side of the street, which was nice! The staff was willing to help and the breakfast was nice. Each room was unique and had character, which I liked. It was small enough to feel special but big enough not to be a b&b. The only "complaint" i have is that it is expensive, but all hotels near the riverwalk are. I would stay there again no questions asked, which I think is high praise for any hotel.

1 Thank utchampions
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed 14 March 2012

This hotel is amazing. I recently stayed here for 3 nights with other family members. We had 3 rooms on the 2nd floor. The rooms are huge, clean, comfortable and nicely decorated with all wood floors and huge windows overlooking the city. The hotel offers a very nice breakfast, cooking in the afternoon and wine at 5pm. Lots of little special touches that many hotels don't offer these days were surprising and welcomed. The managers Patty, Angelica and Joan were all very friendly and helpful. If I ever return to San Antonio I know where I'll be staying!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank onthegogal12
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 March 2012

+ Nice rooms
+ Very friendly staff
+ Nice breakfast, incuded
+ Nice glass of wine, in the afternoon
- you had to be a good sleeper (noise from the street)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Troy, Michigan
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We found this hotel on TripAdvisor and only stayed here one night before heading to Austin for my work conference, but we wish we could've stayed at the Riverwalk Vista the whole time! I'll admit that I was a little wary when we walked up to the hotel front sandwiched in between a McDonald's and a Subway, but the interior, charm and service more than made up for this - we LOVED this hotel. It was so convenient to walk to and from the boardwalk, the huge shower in the modern bathroom was great, the homemade dishes in the breakfast buffet were a tasty treat (not to mention what a cool dining room!), even the little touches like the fishbowl on the desk were sweet. The (aforementioned perfect blend of vintage & modern) interior of the hotel felt like staying in the house of that impossibly cool friend from college who now has a beautiful family and the great job that pays a lot without the long hours, you know the one :). All this for less than what we paid at a Hampton Inn in Buda, TX, mind you - unreal. Can't recommend it enough!

2 Thank ojvm2526
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We came down for a long weekend in early winter. For a hotel that is right on the riverwalk (our window did have a view of it) this was a great choice. It's a converted department store, which gave it a lot of charm. Our room had 12ft high ceilings, a thoroughly modern bath, and a cute fish to welcome us. You wander up the wooden staircases and brick walls to the wonderful breakfast bar every morning. The helpful staff makes sure that you have everything you need from a prompt taxi pick up to extra fruit left out in the sitting area. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lsquared79
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed for one night at this hotel in the Hugman Suite. The views from the windows are fantastic --- great for people watching from the comfort of your bed.

The room was quite spacious with extra high ceilings.

Note that this room can be quite loud from the outside noise of traffic and pedestrians -- did not bother me, but if you are a light sleeper, this may not be the best room for you as it has several windows that might add to the noise. They do have a white noise machine which I used and liked.

Breakfast was put out and had a good selection of fresh fruit, pastries, bagels, bread, cereal. I thought it was a nice touch that they had "to-go" coffee cups and lids next to the coffee should you want to take some coffee with you.

I thought the location of the hotel was great. Walking distance from the Riverwalk - basically steps away from it. Also just around the corner from the Alamo. Many shops nearby too.

The staff was warm and friendly, and check in was in your room which is different, but not bad since the innkeeper will show you were things are in your room.

Just a couple of notes: the lighting in the bathroom/shower area is dim -- would have been great if the lighting was on a dimmer instead. Also, the AC unit located on the wall above the bed was blowing out a small amount of black dust -- not too much but enough that you could notice it on the white bedding. The innkeeper tried to help clean the unit and also offered to move us to a different room -- we decided to just shut off the AC unit and stay in the room as the views were great, plus the AC was not really needed since the weather was cool out. The other thing that would have been great is valet parking. Hotel does not have parking -- had to drop bags off, then move the car to a parking garage --- not bad when I was there but would be pretty inconvienient if it was raining.

Overall, even with those minor items (the parking mostly), this place really is great and I would stay here again when I'm visiting San Antonio.

2 Thank SilverStream