“Nice Stay At Riverwalk Vista”
Review of Riverwalk Vista

Riverwalk Vista
Ranked #24 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Kirkland, WA
“Nice Stay At Riverwalk Vista”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Overall, was pleased with our choice of staying 3 nights at Riverwalk Vista. We had a room with a Riverwalk View, which was nice. I'm a pretty light sleeper, and it is noisy outside in the evening....it did definitely quiet down, but be aware that it's not just traffic, it's live music across the street and down the block...even with the AC and the sound machine running, it was still an issue. Maybe we would have been better off with a room on the other side of the property?? The staff was excellent and very helpful, the breakfasts were nice, and the cookies and lemonade were a welcome touch at the end of a long day. The RV offers something that most other places along or adjacent to the river don't....a bed and breakfast type feel in an impressive historic building.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Chambersburg, PA
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I moved to the Riverwalk Vista after several nights in a convention hotel for a little R&R before heading home. I was not disappointed. The rooms are huge with high ceilings and exposed brick walls. Showers are made of natural stone. Staff makes every effort to make you feel at home with homemade breakfast every morning, fresh baked cookies at 3:00 and complimentary wine at 5:00. Great location to the Riverwalk.

Room Tip: Choose a larger, remodeled room for the best value
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 4 May 2012

We come to the Riverwalk 4 or 5 times a year as it's our weekend getaway place from Houston. So we've stayed in various hotels over the years hoping one day to finally find the place we'd return to every time - like family.

Most recently we've been staying at the Valencia Hotel. It's a bit nicer than some actually on the Riverwalk yet still just a quick walk to the water.

But when they didn't offer a decent cancellation policy for our Christmas season stay this year - I booked this trip in February - I started looking at other options. The Riverwalk Vista offered a 10 day cancellation so I booked a queen suite.

We will never stay at another hotel on the Riverwalk again!

1. It's directly across the street from our favorite places to eat on the Riverwalk...Boudros' and Zuni Grill. And right around the corner from the Alamo.

2. It's got a wonderful staff who greeted us with smiles and pleasantries every time we left our room and returned. The hotel also has a very nice front door security system that was easy to use and made us feel safe every night when we returned to the room.

3. The breakfast buffet was a BIG plus because we didn't have to search for breakfast or wait until lunch for a meal. And it had a nice selection of hot and cold foods, breads and fruits.

4. The rooms were amazing! We booked a queen suite but when I inquired about a complimentary upgrade to the corner king suite (since it wasn't booked during our stay) we were immediately put into that room (#303). It had windows facing two sides of the Riverwalk and as much room as my first apartment in college! Granted with the extra windows overlooking the street it was a bit noisier than a room along the back but well worth it during Christmastime as the Riverwalk lights danced outside every night. The draperies pulled shut made it dark and private.

The shower had terrific water pressure, the coffee maker easy to use, the TV took us a while to locate channels because there was no cable listing in the room but we didn't stay that long inside watching TV anyway, the wireless internet was a bit slow but the desk provided an Ethernet cable that really sped up my picture loading process and the bed and pillows comfy (we have a Temperpedic so I can't really say it was great).

5. My only complaints?

The unloading and loading area out front. What a pain! It's a small area where you pull in about half a block down from the hotel. So if you have many items as we did to unload and bring in you really have to be creative. You can't get the luggage cart to you because of the outside stairs and you can't leave your doors or trunk open while you walk it to the hotel and set it inside. The parking is off site around the corner but not really an issue. I advise cash to get your car out.

And there's a McDonald's on the 1st floor below the hotel. While we never felt threatened or unsafe it does seem to be a place many of San Antonio's homeless like to gather to ask for handouts. We were approached several times for money only steps from the front door. I know this is not the fault of the hotel...but I thought I might include it in my review for your information.

We're coming back here and bringing friends!!

Room Tip: Room 303 has the best - corner - view of the Riverwalk and is HUGE!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Katles
Burlington, Ma
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Can't say enough about this hotel. From the time we arrived on Saturday night until we left on Wednesday, the staff couldn't do enough for us. Joan met us on arrival and showed us to our room. She took care of us like we were close family. The room had two large windows overlooking the Riverwalk across the street. Everything was conveniently located. The decor was awesome, with the old floors and high ceilings. Breakfast was nice and wine and cookies in the afternoon, a wonderful extra. I highly recommend anyone wanting to get away from the cookie cutter, sterile expensive hotels to give Riverwalk Vista a try. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Riverwalk are wonderful if a little noisy.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Audrey B
Westfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I just came back from San Antonio and a wonderful stay at the Riverwalk Vista. A charming building with all the modern amenities in a perfect location for sightseeing. The staff is very warm and friendly, and individualizes their interaction with their guests. We saw them sit down with some people, to share information and stories. They picked up on the fact that we're kind of loners, and left us to our own devices, which we appreciated. The soy milk I requested was always available at breakfast. In the afternoons, my husband refused to walk into the breakfast room, as he had no will power against those delicious cookies.

The bed was very comfortable, and the A/C drowned out any street noise. All four nights we slept well. The floor to ceiling windows ARE dirty, but I think I still got some great pictures of the great view below and above us.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Blockster
Columbia, Md
Reviewed 21 April 2012

What can I say that hasn't already been said; the location is hard to beat, the decor certainly modern - but not sacrificing the 19th century feel of the place. I spent 4 nights in the Joske Vista which was huge and had everything you could want in a hotel room. They dont have bath tubs here, but the showers are very large and up market.

I interacted the most with Catherine who was wonderful, as were all the staff I encountered during my stay. I had to return my rental car at the Marriott so Joan told me to call as I was approaching the hotel, they'd come down and get my bags and I could continue on to the Marriott without having to park etc... that was very much appreciated.

The bkfst is a very expanded continental bkfst, always a hot dish along with the staples you'd expect like yogurt, many hot/cold cereals, bagels, toast, fresh fruit, juice, hard boiled eggs etc

I found San Antonio to be a particularly friendly place and that applies to the Riverwalk Vista.

I think this will be my first choice for future San Antonio visits.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Jon-Eric
Bellaire, Michigan
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I highly recommend the Riverwalk Vista if you want to be in the middle of everything. It is a block from the Alamo and across the street from the busy part of the Riverwalk with lots of restaurants nearby. And if that's not enough, there's a large mall nearby also. We just parked our car in the convenient ramp, which was reasonably priced, and walked to everything. We would come back to the room and rest between our different activities. The room had a loft feeling with high ceilings, some brick walls, large windows (which needed cleaning) and wood floors. The bathroom was beautiful with the huge shower with slate walls and floor. Even though it was a cheaper room, it was good sized and very nice. The breakfast was very good with homemade items; scones, breads and egg dishes and fruit. In the afternoon, the cookies are warm and wonderful and then there is wine after 5. The only negative is the city noise at night but it eventually winds down. And the air conditioner was a little loud. But there are so many positives about this place. I thank the owners for saving and restoring this old building. And the staff was so friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple