“Disappointed ”
Review of La Fonda on Main

La Fonda on Main
Reserve with OpenTable
La Fonda on Main is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 5,048 Restaurants in San Antonio
Price range: US$12 - US$30
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: Woodlawn
Description: Located just a few minutes from downtown in architecturally rich Monte Vista, La Fonda on Main is the oldest Mexican food restaurant in San Antonio. La Fonda serves both the best of Tex-Mex cuisine as well as authentic dishes of interior Mexico in a fun and casual setting with beautiful patio dining. Open daily serving lunch and dinner as well as a memorable Sunday brunch menu, we offer a full bar with a wide variety of liquor, beer and wine. Our famous margaritas are made with hand-squeezed limes and your choice of a large selection of tequilas.
Reviewed September 2, 2018 via mobile

When the complimentary chips and salsa arrive after the adult beverages I take notice. The margaritas were very good. The duck tacos were dry and tortillas were hard. The service was satisfactory. The atmosphere is loud and the tables are to close together. Very disappointed in our experience.

1  Thank MDNied

Reviewed August 31, 2018

Spent 6 months living in San Antonio for work. Sadly, I did not discover this place until the very end of my stint. I love this place. Great margs (skinny in particular) and to die for cheese enchiladas. I would have branched out and tried something else, but that dish is sooo good. I plan on going back to San Antonio for this restaurant alone!

1  Thank crapipa
Reviewed August 26, 2018 via mobile

We celebrated my birthday on Sunday for brunch. I love that they serve mini cornbread, muffins and macaroons as a starter rather than the traditional chips and salsa.
The chicken chalupa I ordered was fabulous.
My husband loved the cheese enchiladas, however my son and I prefer more of a chili con carne sauce on cheese enchiladas and did not care for those. Mahi tacos were great.
*We found most of the food to be too spicy or over seasoned. My grandmother could not even eat the tortillas soup because it was spicy and over-seasoned.
*The service was great -the type of place that packs your leftovers for you.
*Flies - We were seated by the kitchen and a back handicap entrance. Our table was bombarded by flies. It really ruined our meal.
After walking out we noticed that they keep their trash by the back handicap entrance which probably is why they could not get the flies under control. I most likely would not return here because of that experience.

1  Thank Crystal F
Reviewed August 21, 2018

we avoided the typical 'touristic' restaurants near river walk. Initially someone told us to go to the Pearl, but there weren't decent place to eat and over priced. This place was just a minute away from where we stayed so it was very relaxing with more local people rather than tourists. the service was also great and food too.

Reviewed August 15, 2018

One of our favorite places to take our out-of-town guests is La Fonda on Main. Since my mother-in-law has been eating there for more than 60 years. The food was fantastic and our guests vowed it was one of the best meals ever.

Been to La Fonda on Main? Share your experiences!