“German deli at its finest”
Review of Schilo's

Schilo's
Ranked #65 of 4,881 Restaurants in San Antonio
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Delicatessen, German
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I'm not normally one for German deli food--too heavy and salty for me--but this place was as good as it gets. We had their Reuben, for some inexplicable reason--I don't normally like Reubens. After finishing it off, I was tempted to go back and get another one. If you're a fan of German delis, this place is fantastic.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,656)

Reviewed 1 April 2012

My wife and I ate at Shilo's for both breakfast and dinner during our recent visit to San Antonio. The "sampler" (3 sausages, 2 cheeses, plus awesome pumpernickel rye bread) almost made me think I was back in Berlin, Germany. Try a small taste from the bottle of German mustard on your table - it's hot and delicious.

Reviewed 29 March 2012

Loved the potato pancakes- almost as good as my grandmother's!

Reviewed 29 March 2012

I have been going to Schilo's all of my life. It was my grandfather's favorite restaurant. It is famous for split pea soup, all sorts of sausages, and very good sandwiches. Today on the menu, I noticed that they are keeping up with nutritional trends and there were about six salads at the top of the menu. The decor is very antique, and the restaurant itself must be nearing 100 years if not already there. They wisely have kept the vintage look. The staff was very friendly and did their best to make the customers comfortable. Today the soup was a little too thick, but my red cabage was superb. The rootbeer in an icy mug is always a treat. Ceiling fans were going at full speed cirtculating the AC, and I was cold, so take a sweater. One downside is parking. They do not stamp a ticket for you, and unless you are walking around anyway, having to pay $6 to park is a drag. Other than that, by all means go. It is a San Antonio tradition, for both tourists and locals.

Reviewed 28 March 2012

Lunch....I wasn't going to have the pea soup until my husband shared some of his. It is spoon sticking thick, smooth as silk, and bursting with complex deep flavor. Better than grandmother's....the pork shank is minimally seaosned which was great and it was fall off the bone tender. Some outer bits were crispy. Fortunately it wasn't 'the other white meat' and really tased like pork from 40 years ago. It's a huge portion for one person but so worth the attempt to finish it all. Our waiter Alexander was gracious and helpful with making food decisions and he was spot on with the pork shanks. And amazing prices...I think the pork shank was $5.99 and that included a side. Had the German potato salad and it was very tasty. The cup of soup was only $1.60!

Been to Schilo's? Share your experiences!