“Terrific Part of History”

Schilo's Delicatessen
Ranked #27 of 4,727 Restaurants in San Antonio
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Delicatessen, German
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stopped here while looking for a place to have a solo lunch. It was Sunday brunch hours and the place was packed and people waiting but no one seemed to mind. I figured this was a good sign.

After a brief wait, a seat opened at the counter and I was able to get a sense of why people are so drawn here even after 100 years in business. The interior was a step back in time with the big wooden bar, tin ceiling and old style dining tables and chairs. On top of that the food was hearty and tasty.

I had a cup of the pea soup which was really excellent and a Papa Fritz sandwich which I asked to have grilled. No problem. I was informed they could fix the sandwich any way I desired. On the counter was a big squeese bottle of Schilo's own mustard which turned out to be a Dusseldorf style and was the perfect condiment for the sandwich. When I left, I knew that I had eaten food that was not fancy but was filling and comforting and which would last me until a late dinner.

I gave this restaurant an overall rating of 4 out of five. If I could divide that, I would say the food was 3-1/2, good but nothing cutting edge. The service was a 4-1/2, really quite good even with a full house and the setting a solid 5. This is a place I will without a doubt visit again.

Elizabeth L, Public Relations Manager at Schilo's Delicatessen, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

That is great to hear! I also prefer the Papa Fritz sandwich grilled, so you have good taste! Come back sometime soon!

Reviewed 11 October 2017

This is a German style deli. The food is good. Service was ok. It's pretty Americanized but the German influence is there. Don't expect NY City portions.

Reviewed 11 October 2017

They don't take reservations, but the group of 10 of us arrived at the 7:30 opening. The friendly and helpful waitress moved three tables together and took pictures of the group. The waitress warned us that one breakfast taco would be sufficient for most of us. I had the breakfast taco with sausage and it was a good bargain. The waitress kept us well fortified with coffee and decaf coffee. Very nice service and a pleasant location.

Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

Wasn't sure what to expect but glad we went there! The food was all great and the staff very friendly! If you want a unique experience, this is the place to try!

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

Great Ruben sandwich and split pea soup. Had some good small batch beers on tap. The place was packed and it seemed the sampler plate, Ruben sandwich and split pea soup were the most popular. The person the table next to us had a spinach and strawberry salad and split soup and she said the salad was awesome.