“Upscale Texmex”
Review of Acenar

Acenar
Reserve with OpenTable
Acenar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 4,629 Restaurants in San Antonio
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene, View, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: St. Mary's
Transit: Yes
Description: Acenar...A culinary explosion of flavors created by restaurateur Lisa Wong ...an expression of Latino Passion and Pizzazz! This blend of authentic Mexican recipes and culinary artistic flair has created unique tastes that will ignite your senses... Savor our crab tacos, duck tinga, cabrito, four versions of tantalizing enchiladas, seafood fideo, or three-mole ossobuco. Then cool down the spice with a little ice and sip on a mescal elixir, melon mojito or Acenar's signature hand-shaken margarita. Enjoy these taste sensations in the most unique space on the River Walk - whether you choose to dine on the scenic patio or the below the linticular mural offering up a slice of Latino life... Acenar will serve up an unforgettable sensory experience. Located on Houston Street along the eastern bank of the San Antonio River Walk next to the Hotel Valencia. Acenar... Hot Mex - Cool Bar. Ignite your senses!
Boise, Idaho
“Upscale Texmex”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

This place is a great bar with an upscale atmosphere next to the trendy Hotel Valencia. The service and food are tremendous. This is a must see happy hour bar crowd. They do close early (10 pm or so) on weeknights so don't be disappointed if you wait too long to get there. Weekends are open later.

Libertyville
“Major Disappointment”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

The resturant was touted in one of the major travel books (even with a star) as a great place to get tex-mex, slightly off the highly beaten path on the river walk. The food and service were fair at best. The biggest disappointment was the 'made at your table guacamole', while the guacamole was very good it was servered with chips that never should have left the kitchen. They were cold and greasy and impossible to chew as they had turned to a leather-like quality. Normally I would have just asked for the wait staff to help solve the problem.....but they were not to found. Although the guac was good even if we had to eat it from a spoon. There ws nothing special about the rest of food either, and we had to wait just long for a table had we gone to one of the busier spots on the river walk.

This particular travel guide (fodor's) rearly ever steers as wrong. This was not the case as it relates to Acenar.

• Visited March 2012
Colorado
“Food was good, but inside atmosphere lacking”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

First, this restaurant was packed. I really liked the food, but wished we could have been seated outside. Get there early if you want that. The outside seating is not on the Riverwalk level though. Inside it was fine, but seemed a little cold and the tables are cafeteria like.

That said I did like my Mole Enchiladas a lot. The chips are out of a bag, not homemade, which was a disappointment. The service was very good and the food got to us incredibly fast. They don't list drink prices in the menu so I was a little surprised our margaritas were $10 each, but they were good (the hand-shaken margarita). I had asked for a marg that wasn't super sweet.

This was probably our fourth best meal experience in San Antonio out of 5.

New England
“Noisy but lively. Good food.”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We had asked for a table outside, but the reservation process seems a bit muddled to us: first, they said they did not take reservations for outside tables, and when we got there, they told us the outside tables were reserved...I did not like it, nor did I like the restaurant reception. However, there were mariachis outside, and I prefer dinner to be more quiet.
The food was very good. Superior margaritas; excellent duck crepes. Fast and friendly service.

Denver, Colorado
“Good not great”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Went there for an early dinner on the recommendation of our hotel. We were quickly seated outdoors, per our preference, and our waiter brought fresh chips and salsa just as quickly.

We ordered cocktails from the menu- 10 Cane Mojitos, which were well-made, if a bit stingy: tall narrow glasses with lots of ice makes for a pretty quick drink! I should also mention that these puppies came in at ~$11 a piece (drink prices NOT on menu), so it's not unreasonable to expect a bit more. Also, our waiter didn't seem to know what he was talking about with rum. I asked if they had other premium rums besides 10 Cane, and he recommended Bombay... Not the worst thing in the world, but you know, he could have said he didn't know!

Anyway, we ordered table-side guacamole for two ($10.95), which was obviously fresh, and quite tasty. For dinner we ordered another round of drinks (!), and I ordered the mushroom and calabacita (squash) tacos ($10.95), and my colleague ordered pocinita pibil (roasted pork, $13.95). Both entrees arrived pretty quickly and were presented nicely with rice and black beans. The mushroom and squash were grilled very well and the fresh, grilled soft tortilla and accompanying added avocado and quesa fresco made for a tasty handheld meal. I thought everything was very good but nothing rose to a level of outstanding.

I did not taste my colleague's pork but he said it was also very good and we both agreed that it was a good meal.

All-in we spent $100, including tip, which is on the pricy side for a relatively simple meal, but of course $40 of that was for too-small cocktails so you could probably get away for much less.

To sum up, it was a fine meal, and the riverside seating, lively but not-too-noisy atmosphere (except the wandering mariachis- please!) created an inviting ambiance for conversation and reflection, and I would definitely go back to try some of the other items on the menu.

• Visited March 2012