“Best Hotel For The Money!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crockett Hotel

Crockett Hotel
Ranked #21 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
“Best Hotel For The Money!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

More than I would have experienced. The hotel is clean, lobby is great, bar has a Happy Hour. Eduardo at the front desk was courteous, friendly and gave us an upgrade. He even got us in at Saltgrass Steak House for Valentine's Day. We asked to get reservations on the same day. The Upgrade was huge and a corner room. Actually, a suite with a new bath and upgraded amenities. The only drawback - no flat screen TV.

Hotel has a breakfast included and though my wife liked it, I was not impressed - lot's of Big Texas Waffles and the usual fare expected at a Quinta or elsewhere. Coffee was terrible.

Across the street is the RiverWalk Mall and the River Walk. Across the street from the Alamo. Great restaurants to choose from - Morton's Steak House right across the street. And, of course, the River Walk. On the first day, we dined at Luciano"s Italian Restaurant. Great food and service.

Also, recommend Schilo"s Deli, a good place for breakfast and lunch. We also ate at Rita's MexTex Restaurant and the food and service was not memorable.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk, especially Eduardo if on duty, for an upgrade.
1 Thank sabroso

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

My husband and I live here in San Antonio and were seeking an inexpensive way to spend our Valentine's Weekend. Check-in was very quick and easy with no hassles whatsoever. Our AAA rate was honored and an additional $18.50 was assessed for the hotel's valet parking service. Since the hotel is located in a very convenient location, we parked our vehicle and did not need it again until we checked out. We were assigned room 225 which has a queen sized bed. The room, although small, was very clean and comfortable. The bathroom was absolutely spotless. The shower's water pressure was more than adequate although the water temperature did fluctuate back and forth from hot to cold to lukewarm. Amenities included in the room were the usual hairdryer, an iron/ironing board and in-room coffee maker (single use filter packets). The television was an older tv. Being that the pay-per-view movies were $15.99 each, we had hoped the tv would have been an updated, better quality, flat screen tv. Needless to say, we saved the money and took a walk instead. The Crockett Hotel is VERY close to several local attractions. It is located directly behind the Alamo, adjacent to RiverCenter Mall and only a short walk to the RiverWalk. Market Square is an approximate 10 minute walk as well. Breakfast is included from 6:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. Unfortunately we missed that window so I can't comment on how it was. Overall, the hotel was very nice with a great location. We will definitely consider staying at the Crockett again for a weekend getaway and plan on recommending the Crockett to out of town friends as well.

1 Thank crazy4seattle
CrockettGM, General Manager at Crockett Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
We are so happy to know that your selected the Crockett as the place to celebrate this Valentines Day. As you mentioned, we are a historic, boutique hotel in the heart of a very special city. Even the local San Antonians visit downtown for a little local getaway from time to time. We have a great housekeeping staff who care of the hotel and our guests like visitors to their home.

Thank you again for taking your time to provide feedback.
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

This hotel was one recommended by Frommers Texas Guide. Also, good comments on hotel by a couple we met at South Padre Island. I decided to stay there for 2 nights so wife and I could see mainly the downtown sights of San Antonio. The location is excellent for walking to the Alamo, the River Walk and River Centre Mall plus downtown historical buildings and districts. Lots of great restaurants were also nearby.
Room 610 on outside faced the Alamo. It was smaller than some hotel rooms we have stayed in but very clean and comfortable. All staff were friendly and helpful. Valet parking at $20 per night is worth it as your car is secured and returned promptly when needed.
Free breakfast with eggs, cereal, fruit etc was included... coffee in urns could have been hotter. Coffee we made in room was hotter and tasted better. Overall, a very good place to stay.

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

I stayed at The Crockett b/c I was traveling to San Antonio on a budget. As it turned out, the Crockett may have been less expensive than a lot of the surrounding hotels, but it could not have been less comfortable. The rooms were quiet and clean. The beds were really, really comfortable. And the staff were wonderful -- very kind and accommodating.

I also stayed in The Crockett because its an older hotel. It's really beautiful -- all of the furniture and decorations support the historic ambiance.

I usually don't stay in hotels without workout rooms, but when you stay in the Crockett, you get free access to the workout room at The Menger Hotel across the street. Before I got there I wondered I much of a hassle it would be to get over to The Menger. But it was really easy -- it's across a not-very-busy, quiet road. When I stay in a big hotel, it takes me longer to get to the workout room than it took me to get from my room in The Crockett to the workout room in The Menger.

The free breakfast that comes with the cost of your room is much better than a lot of other free breakfasts I've had. Included are warm scrambled eggs, make-your-own waffles, fresh fruit, lots of different cereals, bagels, and danishes. And the dining area is very comfortable and spread out.

The location of this hotel is ideal -- right next to the Alamo and not far at all from the River Walk, where are of the restaurants are located.

The only thing I didn't like about my room was the view. It had no view. When I looked out my window, I saw a brick wall. From what I can tell, some of the rooms look over the Alamo. That would have been nice. But mine looked right into a nice brick wall. :) However, given the rest of the hotel's perks, I didn't mind.

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior room that faces the Alamo.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Oneida67
CrockettGM, General Manager at Crockett Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Thank you for taking time to let us know of your recent visit to the Crockett Hotel. We enjoy sharing the experiences of our guests with others who may read the review and also decide to stay with us at the Crockett, a historic boutique hotel in the heart of San Antonio.
Wisconsin, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

I stayed here for four nights with a incredible deal from booking.com. The location was great. You could walk or catch a bus, trolley or river taxi to any major attraction. Get an outside room as the interior rooms are noisy due to the lobby noise. I switched rooms ten minutes after checking into my interior room. My exterior room was too bright at night due to a street lamp right outside my window. However, I made it work. Curtains or shades would work better than the shutters. Breakfast was nothing special, so skip it at least once and take the river taxi to the Institute for Culinary Arts Cafe at the Pearl complex for breakfast. I had wonderful French toast with rum raisin sauce and coconut cream and one of the best hot chocolates ever. Prices are very reasonable. Don't forget to pick up a bakery treat for later. I had the XS cake and it was chocolate heaven.

Room Tip: Get an exterior room
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Greenwell Springs, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Nice stay with convenience to site attractions. The rooms were tidy and clean. The only problem is if you book online through priceline they may not place you in the bed type you "requested." The breakfast was filling with make your own waffles, cereals fruits and juices!
The only complaint is that the staff weren't well-trained about the history of the hotel, hence, the stay wasn't "excellent."

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Whitehouse, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

Whoever designed the atrium of this hotel knew nothing about accoustics. We unluckily had a room overlooking the atrium. (Half of the hotel's rooms do this.) The hard floor, brick walls, and glass ceiling all magnify all sound in the lobby. We could hear every conversation 4 floors below. The first night a person decided to practice the piano at 4 am. The second night we had barking dogs. And last night, the bar was full, with loud customers right below until well after midnight.
I value my sleep, because I am here on business, and have long days.
If this doesn't bother you, then this is the place to stay. All of the good things the other reviews have said are true--great location, quaint, historic building, etc. But if sleep is important, don't let them put you on the atrium side.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Alamo.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank aspenbc
CrockettGM, General Manager at Crockett Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Thank you for your review after your recent stay at the Crockett Hotel.

We think of our guests as visitors to our home and feel badly when their stay is not above their expectations. Obviously one critical aspect to any stay is a good nights sleep.

We will take steps to address the issues you mentioned in your review. We have signage on our piano preventing its use until after 10 am each morning. Our staff will watch more closely during late night hours so people do not decide that this is a good time to play on the piano. The bar entrance door may have been left opened, allowing the bar activity to be heard in the lobby. We will ensure we keep this door closed in late night periods as it is intended.

Thank you for your otherwise positive comments. We will continue to strive daily to improve our hotel product and service to provide the best accomodation for our guests in the future.