“Crockett Hotel is a Downtown Gem”
Review of Crockett Hotel

Crockett Hotel
Ranked #18 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Once again its the staff that wins me over. Recent stay at the Crockett was most pleasant. Room and all common areas were immaculate. Front desk manager called me by my name all week - every time he saw me, and it certainly wasn't because I was giving him a hard time ! Excellent continental breakfast was included in the price. Conveniently located just steps from the Alamo and Riverwalk. If I had to point one drawback, it might be that this updated historic hotel has some noisy mechanicals - it took a couple nights to get used to the racket from the air conditioning, but this mattered little. The Crockett is a gem. I recommend without reservation.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank lbg073
Write a ReviewReviews (2,059)

Reviewed 17 April 2012

We recently stayed at the Crockett and were very impressed. My husband has been dreaming about seeing the Alamo since he was a little boy and they gave us a room overlooking the Alamo. It was an awesome view and a large room. The breakfast was good and well stocked. Parking was easy. The Alamo was across the street and it was a five minute walk to the riverwalk. I would totally reccoend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I booked this hotel for my daughter and her husband to spend a couple of nights enjoying adult time while I got to spend the time with my grandkids. I am disappointed I didn't spend a bit more and get a nicer hotel.

The room was a queen and extremely small. My 6'4" SIL had to let his feet hang off the bed because the queen seems to be a "hotel queen" or smaller than a standard queen. They told me the room was tiny but they didn't spend much time in the room so it wasn't a problem. Anyone that has stayed at a historic hotel in San Francisco will understand that historic often means small.

The air conditioner wasn't working well but the kids never notified the staff until they were checking out so I am not rating down for that.

They did not care for the look of the continental breakfast so they went out. No comments on breakfast.

Things that were great: Location, location, location. Very convenient to the riverwalk. They didn't have to use their car once. They had a room on the Alamo side and their view was amazing. They had taken a white noise machine with them in case they were on the atrium side so the outside noises because of the single pane windows were not a problem.

Customer service seemed very good. I called the day before the kids checked in to request an Alamo view and the clerk took notes even though she couldn't make a guarantee. The next day when the kids checked in she remembered my call and they got a nice room. When the kids checked out and told them about the AC not working the front desk was sorry they had problems that had not been corrected even though that was based on the kids not telling.

If you are short or book a king, travel with a noise machine and like to eat breakfast out rather than depending on the hotel breakfast I think this could be a great hotel for the price.

Room Tip: Alamo side, higher floors for the view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We booked this hotel blind via Hotwire; took a chance because of the price and regretted it. While the location was great we were very disappointed with the room. My husband is 6'5" and we were very cramped in the room and the bath. We had requested a king bed on hotwire but were told by the hotel hotwire only books queens and we would have to pay an additional $25 (our fault for not reading the fine print I guess). I knew we would have to pay for the parking, so at the $25 extra for a king plus the $19 for parking we could have stayed somewhere else downtown.

The property is in an old hotel building (turn of the century-type) so I understand the "quaintness" it is trying to project but it was simply run down. Wood panels in both elevators were beaten up, hallways very bland, strange smells. Pool area looked like it hadn't had any service in months. The breakfast was standard; eggs were icky and being the only protein, my diabetic husband couldn't eat anything.

More on the room: we were on the 3rd floor across the street from the Alamo. Lovely view, and I'm glad we were on that side of the hotel. The windows looked single pane, so you could hear the carriage drivers talking to their fares... I can't imagine what the noise level would have been on the Mall side of the property.

I'm giving this hotel a 3 and not a 2 because of the location and view. I would not stay here again, but it was a nice walk to and from the Riverwalk.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
CrockettGM, General Manager at Crockett Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2012

Thank you for being our recent guest and for taking time to provide feedback to us about your stay.

As a historic, boutique hotel we have a wide assortment of rooms in various configurations. Queens, Kings, Double Doubles and even suites. We do only offer the deep discount sites like Hotwire, Priceline with our single queen bed rooms, which usually can accomodate 2 adults comfortably.

Our 103 year old hotel has always been in an ideal location for travelers coming to San Antonio . We have tried to enhance their experience with a well maintained, and updated facility.

We continually look at our breakfast selections which we provide on a complimentary basis. In addition to scrambled eggs, we offer hard boiled eggs, made to order waffles, a variety of cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit, breads, bagels, pastries and 4 types of juices and coffee.

Thanks again for your feedback. We use our customer feedback to refine and improve our level of service to our guests.

Reviewed 10 April 2012

Great hotel and location. Nice free continental breakfast and free wifi.

(Only 2 elevators which are small).

• Stayed: April 2012
CrockettGM, General Manager at Crockett Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide others with a review of your stay at the Crockett Hotel.

We look forward to your return visit. We remain a unique option in the heart of a great city. Only steps from the Alamo and in a historic, boutique hotel building...we enjoy caring for our guests and serving them daily.

Many happy and safe travels to you.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Located next to the Alamo and a five minute walk to the River Walk this hotel is perfectly situated! There's not much of a lobby or dining area but the rooms make up for it. Clean, well appointed and tended too efficiently. I would return without a second thought.
San Antonio is a very family friendly city. Plenty of restaurants, shops and museums to occupy everyone. A great weekend location.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel when we couldn't afford a large vacation but wanted to get away. When we arrived we were hot and sweaty from spending all day at Six Flags and the gentleman at the front desk was incredible. He offered me a bottle of water and immediately asked if I had any aloe for the sun I gotten that day. My room was ready and they had sent a maid up to it and made sure the temp was dropped and that the bed was turned down. After when had gotten to our room about 30 minutes later they arrived with a bottle of aloe from the drugstore. Our room had a view of the Alamo and was so close to the Riverwalk we had dinner there. I really enjoyed getting up and enjoying the coffee and free deluxe breakfast in the mornings. We stayed there two nights before we moved to our next location for our Hill Country playtime. The day we were leaving they kept our luggage locked away and allowed us to keep our car in Valet parking for hours after we had checked out just so that we could enjoy more of the Riverwalk. Great stay, very clean and quite, comfortable bed and wonderful staff. I'll stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
CrockettGM, General Manager at Crockett Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

We strive everyday to make our guests comfortable and celebrate when we are able to do so.

We are glad you enjoyed your visit to San Antonio and took the time to share the experience here with others.

We look forward to many return visits.