“Great location - even better history.”
Review of Crockett Hotel

Crockett Hotel
Ranked #22 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Tx
“Great location - even better history.”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

They say this hotel is haunted, and I can see why ghosts might want to chill out here. The hotel is very spacious, and is centrally located to all the main attractions in San Antonio. The staff is superb, and I always feel very welcome from the moment I set foot in the building. The staff even let us borrow a wine opener one night - after we frantically went searching for one at 1:00 am. Overall an excellent experience, and I would recommend this hotel to friends and family.

Room Tip: Look at for Casper, you never know.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank HTownMelBell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Literally across the street from an entrance to the Alamo. Walk to the Riverwalk. Historic hotel that has redone the rooms. Smaller bathroom but very clean. Free hot breakfast.
No free parking. Use valet for a fee, but you can go in and out. Small pool across the driveway from the main entrance.
This is a great location in a historic hotel. Excellent service. We would go back.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank RH0802
Kerrville, Texas
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We've stayed at several hotels on or near the Riverwalk in recent years, but this was our first stay at the Crockett, and let's just say, we're sold - the Crockett will no doubt be seeing us again.

Most hotels to me are a place to shower and sleep, but not the Crockett - it was so charming and inviting, we actually enjoyed just spending some afternoon downtime in the comfort of our room.

It was Fiesta week, so we chose this property because of the rates, plus good TripAdvisor reviews, plus a friend's recommendation. Also liked the $18.50 valet parking rate - much less than other Riverwalk properties.

We arrived early on Saturday morning and had called ahead requesting early check-in. The entrance is quite unique and inviting and the lobby area is very beautiful, with lounge chairs and many photos and historical documents, including one that mentions the Crockett is on the grounds of the the Alamo mission. (Note - the Alamo is right across the street.) Front desk clerk was welcoming and accomodating, even inviting us to enjoy their complimentary breakfast! Our car was whisked away by a friendly, efficient valet, and we eagerly headed to our room...but the room was actually not ready and the front desk clerk (Imelda?) apologized and upgraded us to a suite. What a treat that was - and we're now convinced we will pay the extra (today's posted rate was $179) for the spacious suite with sitting room, mini-refrigerator, and foyer. The shuttered windows directly overlooked the entrance to the Alamo and the side of RiverCenter Mall, so we were very centrally located.
The bed is oh-so-comfortable, the towels lush and thirsty, the toilet green-energy-efficiency-saver and the amenities Soames and Gilchrest.

Their continental breakfast is a treat to have been included, and choice was to make your own Texas waffle, scrambled or hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit selection, yogurts, muffins, bagels and toast, plus coffee, teas, and juices.

The hotel does not offer lunch or dinner but their sister property next door does. They do have Ernie's Pub in the evenings and a fine selection of beers, wines and spirits.

Staff are very welcoming; even those you pass in the hallway or elevator offer a smile and a friendly hello.

Maybe on the negative would be the elevators are not very large and need interior updating, but they are servicable.

We loved the historical aspects of this property, plus the staff, cleanliness, and location, so we are happy to give this the highest of rankings and hope you also will enjoy it.

Can't rate the fitness center or spa because didn't visit them, but there are packets for the spa packages.

This property is fine for business (free wifi), couple or romantic stay, family-friendly or solo.

Tip: We heard the standard rooms might be a tad small, so check the rate for the suite, especially if you'll be staying several days. And...ask for the Alamo view!

Room Tip: Check out the rate for a suite - it's worth it Request a view overlooking the Alamo
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Glens Falls, New York
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Once again its the staff that wins me over. Recent stay at the Crockett was most pleasant. Room and all common areas were immaculate. Front desk manager called me by my name all week - every time he saw me, and it certainly wasn't because I was giving him a hard time ! Excellent continental breakfast was included in the price. Conveniently located just steps from the Alamo and Riverwalk. If I had to point one drawback, it might be that this updated historic hotel has some noisy mechanicals - it took a couple nights to get used to the racket from the air conditioning, but this mattered little. The Crockett is a gem. I recommend without reservation.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank lbg073
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We recently stayed at the Crockett and were very impressed. My husband has been dreaming about seeing the Alamo since he was a little boy and they gave us a room overlooking the Alamo. It was an awesome view and a large room. The breakfast was good and well stocked. Parking was easy. The Alamo was across the street and it was a five minute walk to the riverwalk. I would totally reccoend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed April 2012
South Weber, Utah
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I booked this hotel for my daughter and her husband to spend a couple of nights enjoying adult time while I got to spend the time with my grandkids. I am disappointed I didn't spend a bit more and get a nicer hotel.

The room was a queen and extremely small. My 6'4" SIL had to let his feet hang off the bed because the queen seems to be a "hotel queen" or smaller than a standard queen. They told me the room was tiny but they didn't spend much time in the room so it wasn't a problem. Anyone that has stayed at a historic hotel in San Francisco will understand that historic often means small.

The air conditioner wasn't working well but the kids never notified the staff until they were checking out so I am not rating down for that.

They did not care for the look of the continental breakfast so they went out. No comments on breakfast.

Things that were great: Location, location, location. Very convenient to the riverwalk. They didn't have to use their car once. They had a room on the Alamo side and their view was amazing. They had taken a white noise machine with them in case they were on the atrium side so the outside noises because of the single pane windows were not a problem.

Customer service seemed very good. I called the day before the kids checked in to request an Alamo view and the clerk took notes even though she couldn't make a guarantee. The next day when the kids checked in she remembered my call and they got a nice room. When the kids checked out and told them about the AC not working the front desk was sorry they had problems that had not been corrected even though that was based on the kids not telling.

If you are short or book a king, travel with a noise machine and like to eat breakfast out rather than depending on the hotel breakfast I think this could be a great hotel for the price.

Room Tip: Alamo side, higher floors for the view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Washington State
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We booked this hotel blind via Hotwire; took a chance because of the price and regretted it. While the location was great we were very disappointed with the room. My husband is 6'5" and we were very cramped in the room and the bath. We had requested a king bed on hotwire but were told by the hotel hotwire only books queens and we would have to pay an additional $25 (our fault for not reading the fine print I guess). I knew we would have to pay for the parking, so at the $25 extra for a king plus the $19 for parking we could have stayed somewhere else downtown.

The property is in an old hotel building (turn of the century-type) so I understand the "quaintness" it is trying to project but it was simply run down. Wood panels in both elevators were beaten up, hallways very bland, strange smells. Pool area looked like it hadn't had any service in months. The breakfast was standard; eggs were icky and being the only protein, my diabetic husband couldn't eat anything.

More on the room: we were on the 3rd floor across the street from the Alamo. Lovely view, and I'm glad we were on that side of the hotel. The windows looked single pane, so you could hear the carriage drivers talking to their fares... I can't imagine what the noise level would have been on the Mall side of the property.

I'm giving this hotel a 3 and not a 2 because of the location and view. I would not stay here again, but it was a nice walk to and from the Riverwalk.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
CrockettGM, General Manager at Crockett Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Thank you for being our recent guest and for taking time to provide feedback to us about your stay.

As a historic, boutique hotel we have a wide assortment of rooms in various configurations. Queens, Kings, Double Doubles and even suites. We do only offer the deep discount sites like Hotwire, Priceline with our single queen bed rooms, which usually can accomodate 2 adults comfortably.

Our 103 year old hotel has always been in an ideal location for travelers coming to San Antonio . We have tried to enhance their experience with a well maintained, and updated facility.

We continually look at our breakfast selections which we provide on a complimentary basis. In addition to scrambled eggs, we offer hard boiled eggs, made to order waffles, a variety of cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit, breads, bagels, pastries and 4 types of juices and coffee.

Thanks again for your feedback. We use our customer feedback to refine and improve our level of service to our guests.