“Local Joint Serving up Tasty BBQ”
Review of B&D Ice House

B&D Ice House
Ranked #95 of 4,967 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed August 25, 2017

It was a 10 minute walk from our hotel. From outside we thought it was closed.... walk inside and it's not the most striking place... but the BBQ was Awesome! I had the Brisket and Baby Back Ribs and my husband had the same with sausage link. The brisket was tasty and the BBQ sauce was just wonderful. Baby Back Ribs and sausage were good as well. The mac and cheese was really good. They had a great list of local draft and can beer. Overall we would definitely go back. If you are looking for a local BBQ joint with good food that is nothing fancy, but serves awesome BBQ, head here!

1  Thank surfwmn7

Reviewed August 8, 2017

We almost walked past as it looks like a run down corner store. Don't let the decor scare you away as they make the best BBQ brisket in San Antonio. Walk inside and enjoy the down home hospitality without spending the money a few blocks North on the Riverwalk. It is worth the few extra steps.

Reviewed August 8, 2017 via mobile

This is "Big" Henry, back again with another Review and 100% Authentic & Honest take on our meal:

B&D Ice House on 1004 S Alamo St, San Antonio, TX 78210 @ (210) 225-9801

So it was either Trilogy Pizza (buffet between 11am-2pm) or a new spot.

My wife picked this new spot. Now it has been over a decade since going out near the King Williams area and let me say... How times have changed in this area.

It almost had that Austin feel to it... Anyways, we get to our spot, but there are two problems. One there is literally NO PARKING ANYTIME left and Two, the inside of this spot has three tables (which were occupied) and many outside picnic tables. Which I wouldn't have too much of a problem, but again... No Parking!

So we make a real time adjustment and decide to eat in the Gator. Which to be honest, worked out as we drove through the area looking at all the beautiful historic homes.

Once I let my wife out to walk thru their wooden gate to place an "order to go"... BAM!!! That wonderful smell of Wood Burning Smoke hit my nostrils ( personally my #1 favorite smell in the world)* and it was on!!!!

"Big" Henry's Rating System: As you already recognize, I apply a rating system in (#) from 1 (worst) to 10 (best).

We ordered the following:

Ribs (8.5) were very tender... They had a wonderful smoky taste and I love the simple seasoning. They allowed us to taste the rib and not hide it in a sauce. They were so good, we ordered over two pounds.

Chicken (8) More specifically the Thigh. The meat was not moist, but it wasn't too dry. The skin was crispy and peppery. I actually tried to order another, but they were out.

Brisket Sammies (8) were purchased for my girls with chips and they were medium sized with a very soft bun. It came with onions and pickles. Just add the spicy barbecue sauce (7.5) which normally I'm a Sweet & Spicy guy... Lol! Whoa! But it was good. May be kind of pricey for the size.

They sold the classic soda/pop bottles and we went vintage Big Red (10)!

Smoked Turkey (8) Which was a sample and it was very good!

We didn't try their sides at this time and although they didn't have great parking... It was still enjoyable.

There are many restaurants we may try in the area such as The Guenther House, Stella Public House, Frank, Tito's Mexican Restaurant, Southtown Pizzeria, Señor Veggie (BYOB), Madhatters, Feast, Bliss, Bite, and others in the area... Even will try Steel City Pops!!!

Overall, it is not ideal if you are looking to dine in, but if you could find parking or don't mind eating on the go... Then this place may be a quick stop spot.

I definitely would try it again.

* PS: My wife's favorite smell is Skunk... Seriously!!! She's weird!!!

Still Satisfied,
"Big" Henry
#BigHenrysReviews

Reviewed May 7, 2017

The B&D Ice House restaurant is a total "locals" dive BBQ house on a corner off the beaten path from the river walk and the BBQ is excellent! If you wanna try some good Texas BBQ, avoid the tourists on the river walk, drink beer and hang with the locals, B&D is your place!!

1  Thank rick c c
Reviewed May 6, 2017

As other reviewers have mentioned, don't be fooled by the "dive exterior." We took the option in August to eat indoors at the bar, which was air-conditioned and had a laid-back vibe with lots of Americana memorabilia decor. You order at the "window" and are served at your table/bar, which is pretty simple and un-fussy-- they have outdoor seating too, might be feasible in winter lol. I can't say enough about the BBQ I ate here. The ribs and brisket were hands-down the best I have ever had. When the food was brought to us, there was no more talking, just eating and grabbing many, many napkins-- we were in heaven. I was sad that they were out of jalapeño mac & cheese but the coleslaw & potato salad were as they should be. There was also a pear-flavored microbrew that was light and crisp, perfect with our food choices. Don't skip this one!