“Parking was an afterthought for this hotel”

Hyatt Regency San Antonio
Ranked #21 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Stayed during Fiesta (April 2012). Great, clean hotel. A little noisy for the rooms that face the Atrium. If you are travelling without a vehicle and want to walk the Riverwalk and visit the Alamo, it's an ideal location. If you are doing other activities and need to use a vehicle, forget it. Not only do they lease out the prime parking spots to tenants, the width of the driving aisles is the bare minimum. Don't they know we all drive trucks and SUV's in Texas?? And the parking spaces are very narrow. So if someone parks over the line, there are even less spaces to choose from. The curves from one floor to another have small, barely visible mirrors where you can't see the other car until they are almost on top of your bumper. I guess they are waiting for a head-on collision / death to rectify the issue. And yes, the elevators are the filthiest I have ever ridden. Because they are hidden from view of any street or business, and without ventilation, the smell indicates that they are also the choice for potty breaks of riverwalk goers. Disgusting. Who wants to roll their luggage in that? Not all of us can carry baggage up and down six flights of stairs. The final clue that they don't have adequate parking were the bumper to bumper cars in the "driveway" on Saturday night. Not even spaces for valet parking.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from Atrium.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank luvgames
Write a ReviewReviews (3,301)

Reviewed 30 April 2012

We only stayed one night. The room was very comfortable with a high ceiling. The two queen beds were the best! Not too firm or soft, just right.

The bonus for us was the workout facility. Clean, functional, and not crowded or too small.

When we checked out, coffee and herbal tea were available for breakfast. Although there was no hot water for the tea ... bummer. The temperature in the hotel was a littlle warm too.

Overall, it was very good and we would stay there again. Affordable and close to Sea World!

PS Did I mention they shuttle over to Sea World?

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We stayed here Thursday night through Sunday night for a CrossFit Competition at the Freeman Coliseum. We arrived super late Thursday night around midnight. As we drove through the city to the hotel we were wondering why were there so many people out so late on a Thursday night?!
One word......Fiesta.

We parked at the parking lot across the street and got in the elevator, someone had thrown up and it was not cleaned up. YUCK. What a horrible first impression! When we checked in we told the lady someone threw up in the elevator. She said she would take care of it. The next morning, it was still there so we just took the stairs. The 2nd night we stayed we were rudely awaken around 1AM with people out in the hallway talking. None of us wanted to go out and say something. The noise was on and off for the next 3 hours. Around 4:30 AM I called the front desk to complain. I am assuming they sent someone up because it was quiet after that. It is unfortunate that all of this had to happen because the Hyatt is such a nice hotel and our stay was negatively impacted because of Fiesta.

Our room was very nice, beds were super comfy. There was a mini fridge under the TV which was nice. Our room looked out over the atrium which was cool. Showers were hot and the AC kept our room cool.

Overall our stay was very good, minus the noise and nuisance caused by Fiesta.

I would most definitely stay at the Hyatt again and would recommend it to friends. Try Name your own Price on Priceline and see what kind of great deal the Hyatt will give you!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you check in BEFORE you park your car in the parking garage. When you check in tell them y...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
SATGH, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Hi Rebecca,
Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the elevator inconvenience you experienced and can guarantee you this is not our standard. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

We stayed here during Fiesta (04/27-30) and enjoyed the location. We were offered an upgrade view for $35 a night to watch the parades. I declined and the nice lady still put us on the second to top floor (10th) with a great view of city/Alamo and could still watch the parade. Loved having the CVS right outside the door and in the middle of all the action. Room was clean however the wife said bathroom was too small and kinda dingy. I found it to be just fine. Room also came with a fridge which was handy. Hotel has a roof top pool which we didn't use because it was so packed. However we were able to hang out on the roof for the Saturday night parade and have a nice view. Booked through Priceline NYOP for $100 a night. Would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2012
SATGH, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

We are happy to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us during Fiesta! We hope to see you again next year.

Reviewed 28 April 2012

I attended a convention/conference here this week and it was a great location. The rooms were very nice. The meals were good - everyone in attendance commented that they really enjoyed the lunches we were served and there were several hundred of us there. The service was good too. The proximity to the River Walk made it really convenient to walk around in the evenings in a beautiful environment with plenty of choices for dinner, I traveled with a colleague and we both felt very safe and had a great time. It's about a 3 minute walk to the Alamo too. This area is beautiful!

Room Tip: Note that all of the rooms we saw faced the inside courtyard so be sure to keep your drapes pulled f...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank govicariously

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We have passed your kind comments on to our Food and Beverage team members and look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 28 April 2012

I booked on line because of the great reviews but apparently some people do not travel often.
I am in a hotel 10-15 nights per month and I certainly know bad service and good service.
When I booked I requested an upgrade river view front however when I checked in there was not one available and told me I could possibly change the next day. When I called they said yes I could move but then they tried to charge me DOUBLE. Their reason was that hadi booked online it would have been cheaper, but since I had to do it through the hotel they charged more. I explained it to them that I did book online... They were not accomaditing at all. Terrible customer service
The only good thing I can say is they do have a good bed

Room Tip: Bathrooms are so small
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Harleybabe03

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent stay with us. Please accept a sincere apology from our team in regards to your visit. We can guarantee you this is not our standard. We have passed your review on to our front office department and are looking into this issue. We hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future to provide you with the service both you and we expect.

Reviewed 25 April 2012

I was visiting this hotel on business and have been there several times in the past. It is great because it is on the Riverwalk but what made it terrific is the customer service that launched it into a well run hotel.

The concierge was helpful and and gave me some great tips for small towns to visit outside of SA (Gruene,,,lovely). He also arranged tickets to see the Spurs in action in which he made sure I had transportation that provided door to door service! The seats were excellent.

What topped it off is I left my phone charger in the room and panic when I got home. I called them and right away they looked for it, called me back stating they found it and sent it to me postage paid!

This was absolutely fabulous because it was so stressful and they turned it into a wonderful day. I will recommend this hotel because it is how they address problems that sets them apart from other properties.

I look forward to my next meeting there!

Room Tip: If you don't want a river walk view a side street view gives you looks of beautiful old building...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

We enjoyed reading your review and are happy to hear you enjoyed your time in San Antonio (and Gruene). We look forward to seeing you again soon!