“Unimpressed”

Ranked #74 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
Winter Park
“Unimpressed”
Reviewed 17 March 2012

As a gold marriott elite member I expected more. I was upgraded to the concierge floor with a balcony over looking the parking lot. I heard every car horn and screaming kid. This was still better than the noise coming from the above floors where they are doing refurbishing. The front desk was unable to answer what time they start and finish work, when I mentioned moving rooms they looked stunned. The walls/doors ar thin so you will be able to hear others talking. The rooms lack a safe so when I went to the front desk to use the hotels that said they don't have any left, unacceptable for a hotel in a resort area. Honestly for what they charge there should be a room safe. The room is typical Marriott flare or lack of flare (and I think my room is "updated"). The bed is comfortable, flat screen tv, outdated bathroom, popcorn ceiling, central AC. For the price there are so many better choices in San Antonio such as the Westin, Omni La Mansion, Hotel Contessa, or my favorite hotel Valencia. At best this is a 3 star hotel. Also you will have to walk to get to a decent part of the Riverwalk. A plus of this hotel is self parking where you can come and go as you please for a $23 fee.

Room Tip: Request a balcony not facing the parking lot or street.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank fdipace
athibeault18, Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
We appreciate your taking the time to share your review of the Marriott Plaza San Antonio hotel; though your experience was not entirely as you expected, we do use this feedback to better our services. Our apologies that the noise and the lack of safes available affected your stay.

I have shared your comments with the new management staff and can assure you that your challenges will be addressed. It is a great training tool to better serve our guests.

Thank you again and we hope this experience will not deter you from choosing our San Antonio hotel again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Texas City, Texas
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We really enjoyed the beauty of this Marriott. After I "won" a great price for this hotel, I immediately called to be certain that I would have 2 double beds in one room and a king in the other. They were very accommodating. I requested a courtside view and got that too. A beauty like this place should offer (in my opinion) free parking, free wi-fi and a continental breakfast which it did not and that is the only reason I gave it 4 stars. You will also see pheasants and a peacock on the grounds. Wish we had time to use the pool which was very inviting. Maybe next time.

Room Tip: request courtside/garden view.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I stayed here for a wedding and was very impressed with the accomodations. If you are looking for a hotel outside of the main downtown area, this is the place. The riverwalk, Rivercenter Mall, and the Alamo are all within walking distance. Hemisfair Park is also very close. It is a little on the pricey side, but compared to the other properties in the area is reasonable.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I can't believe my bad luck after getting this hotel again on priceline, this hotel is listed as 4 star and in riverwalk vicinity which is far from the truth, it is a long scary walk from the riverwalk and not by any means a 4 star hotel, rooms old and small, as well as furnitures, facilities like swimming pool and fitness center small and outdated! So disappointed, will never use priceline again!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Boy n
Fremont, California
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I'm giving a 3 star giving the ok location of this hotel to the riverwalk vicinity which is about 10 minutes walk away. The hotel seems quite noisy with all the conventions and meetings going on even on weekends. The hotel looks rundown, but I do notice recent remodel that took place, fresh new paint and tiles were present in my room. The bathroom looks clean and the bed pretty comfy to sleep in.

The parking is super expensive, if you are on a tight budge , you can park free at a nearby street location about 1 block away, just drive around and you will see. Yes $24 a night for self-parking seems rip-off consider this is off the downtown location, not exactly close to riverwalk. Nearby private parking was only charging $5 for overnight parkings. This hotel seems want to overcharge you for anything and everything when they get you here perhaps on a low room rate, and get you when you are here. I would not return.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Keizer, Oregon
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights while attending meetings for work. It was ok, the rooms wern't excactly clean and the second night they were doing some work in one of the rooms near me for like 3 hours and that got annoying with all of the banking and tool noise. I didn't like the fact that there was not breakfast included in the rate. The beds were very confortable though. It is in a great location, close to the riverwalk and other local resteraunts. Staff was friendly and helpful. The grounds and pool looked very nice and inviting although I didn't use either. My room was on the first floor and had a view of the parking lot but it did have a nice patio you could sit out on.

Room Tip: The best rooms are facing the courtyard and are not on the first floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
athibeault18, Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent trip to San Antonio as well as sharing your wonderful review of our hotel and staff. We do take great pride in the friendliness of our Ambassadors and the services we provide and are delighted that they exceeded your expectations.

Thank you again and we look forward to being of service again in the very near future.
The Hill Country, Texas
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I got this room on a bidding site and was pretty angry that it was listed as a four star riverwalk (area) hotel. It turned out to be a shorter, more pleasant walk to the riverwalk than I had anticipated, but I was still glad to have my daughter's intimidatingly large boyfriend along. One sideline benefit of being slightly off the riverwalk is that I finally saw some of the adjacent areas I had never taken the time to see, such as La Villita and Hemisfair Park. The hotel is nice, the rooms were large and nicely decorated, a balcony overlooked a beautifully landscaped courtyard, the beds were very, very comfortable with luxurious linens. The room was much quieter than many downtown hotels. Self-parking is still $23 per night, which was a little much, in my opinion, as it is in an open parking lot. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family