“exactly what we wanted/needed”

Friday Harbor House
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Friday Harbor
Kamloops, Canada
“exactly what we wanted/needed”
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We are 3/4 of the way through our stay and have talked about why we will return to this location and property..

The property is excellently located in Friday Harbor, meaning the car can be left alone and the pace of life may settle down [ should mention that this is the slow season --- which is appreciated].

The FHH has a variety of rooms but wanting to have the quiet view of the water [ being a landlubber] reserved a full harbor view room for a few more dollars and having had three days looking at the peaceful setting in front of us ---would definitely do this again --- as we are going to return.

After a full day of walking and looking around the afternoon in front of the windows - [ a little chilly to use the deck and chairs] with the fireplace on and a glass of wine made decompression easy and enjoyable. The room has a great two person jet tub with an open wall between it and the main room, allowing one to enjoy the view and the soak. It has been at least 10 years since i have been in a tub and I do plan on doing so once more this afternoon [ our last afternoon]

I would have preferred this room to have a king bed but the queen has served us well and is quite comfortable. Lovely sleeps with the curtains open - allowing us to view the nighttime lights of the marina.... even when we wake at 2 or 3 for a short time.

I am sure that the partial view rooms will be ok but on walking around the building I have noticed that some partial views are also over the parking lot... Again the full view is terrific, allows for total privacy and is absolutely quite.. Room 32 [ third floor] is what we will ask for on our next visit as it has been a great get away for us.

The review cannot finish without talking about the staff --- terrific from the moment we arrived -- full of tips and extras when asked... This includes the Bluff restaurant which i will review separately

Back to the start of this reveiw where we chatted about our holiday --- the answer is [ if you have not guessed already] is we are already planning on returning to this new found nugget.

Room Tip: ask for third floor --- full harbor view
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
friday1946, Manager at Friday Harbor House, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear flamesfan24,
We are so glad you chose to stay with us during your visit to Friday Harbor and I am delighted that not only are the accommodations to your liking, but our staff has represented our goal of creating memorable moments and rave reviews. We look forward to seeing you in the future and wish you safe travels.
warm regards,
Kyle Nicholson
Chef/Inn Keeper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I stayed at the Friday Harbor House as part of a somewhat spontaneous, mid-week adventure and I couldn't be more pleased with my stay. The staff was welcoming and helpful from our first exchange to our last. Restaurants and shopes were in easy walking distance and yet it didn't feel like I was in the middle of hustle and bustle of the tow.. But the most spectacular part of my stay was the room and the view. The room was the perfect size and the fireplace added an exquistely cozy atmosphere. And the view of the harbor and surround area was absolutely stunning. The only negative was the cleanliness. There were several cigarette butts on the balcony (Dear smokers: The world is not your ashtray.) and broken pretzels on the carpet.

Room Tip: As other folks have suggested, ask for a room on the 3rd floor. I loved #33.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Just got home from this romantic, quiet, lovely place. Centrally located, great view, and excellent location on the island. Room 39 is king sized, deck, fireplace, jetted tub.
Great spot! Welcome host accomodated our request for a later check out time.

The happy hour is amazing with a wonderful menu of $5 fare. Could be an evening meal.

Included breakfast was a buffet of homemade granola, jam, oatmeal....can't say enough about this spot.

Centrally located and a wonderful place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for full or partial harbor view
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We have stayed in many good places in Friday Harbor over the years, but this was by far the nicest. View room included a gas fireplace, an in-suite jacuzzi, and champagne + chocolate welcome. The view over the marina was so relaxing, and the whole experience couldn't have been better. We were just as pleased with the complimentary breakfast - touted as a continental breakfast, we were wary, but it was so much more than that! Housemade bagels with the most amazing smoked steelhead spread was only the beginning... the granola, the fritatta, the spreads and jams, the muffins and biscuits, etc, etc, etc. All made right there, and all exceptional. Will most definitely be back.

Room Tip: Harborside room is a must - the view is wonderful.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Auburn, Washington
Reviewed 30 January 2012

My wife and 19 month old son just came back from a 2 night stay at the Friday Harbor House. The one question we always ask ourselves after a trip is "would we stay here again?"

Let's find out.

The location is really prime- two blocks away from the ferry and easy walking to the majority of shops and restaurants in the downtown area. The FHH sits elevated looking over the marina and harbor. We stayed during the off season, so many shops were closed for the season, but it was nice- no crowds and so quiet.

Check in was painless. We were greeted with a smile, signed the form, two room keys later and we were in our first floor room, #12. Now, ideally we wanted a third floor room to maximize the view. No such luck being we had our baby with us. I agree with this decision, I wouldn't want a toddler running around the third or second floor.

The room was plenty big, and had two queen beds. The view was still there, even being on the ground level. A mini-fridge was nice to have. The first night I had to play plumber, (no, no role playing here) and fix the broken tub drain. Simple enough fix, but while fixing it I noticed the drain had built up gunk and made us go "eeeww." The top of the toilet lid had some skid mark on it, fortunately it was from a chemical cleaning agent, not the biological kind. The shower was ok, but the white grout was dingy. Honestly, who uses white grout in a shower?

The beds were not comfortable. My back is killing me after two nights. I wanted to relax in the tub but there was not enough room for two. It was more enjoyable watching my son discover the jet button and giggle his cute butt off.

Around 0100 we woke up to a sound of tink-tink-tagga-tagga-squish-tink-tocca-tocca. "What the hell is that?!" my wife asked. In my groggy salt infused state (we ate at Vinny's) I incorrectly assumed it was a turbine failure related to the small electric heater near the window. Upon further inspection it was determined to be rain water trickling down a drain on the northeast corner. Now normally we love the sound of falling water, but this was weird, like someone designed a complicated maze filled with trap doors for the water to flow through. It was loud too, hence my assumption of a pending blade off event. We noticed that most things were loud in the hotel, the soundproofing needs work. I fired up the gas fireplace and the room filled with a pungent odor- not natural gas, but something similar to burning chemicals. I suspect it was from the fake logs but I didn't want my son breathing that in so we did without the fire.

The morning came and we took advantage of the complimentary breakfast. It was very good, lots of healthy choices. Freshly made oatmeal, raisins, brown sugar, a divine potato quiche, fresh breads, hard boiled eggs, fruits, fresh orange juice, 2% milk and tea and coffee. The eating area overlooks the harbor as well. I would say this is where the establishment shines- the food quality. We spoke to some locals who considered it a treat to eat here. I would agree.

Before we knew it, it was time to go. Checkout was easier than checking in. I must emphasize that all the staff were extremely polite and warm. One gentleman remembered our son's name and commented that "the entire hotel was saying how cute he was." Now, I'm not sure how medicated everyone was, but I know my son and I know how loud he can be. Either way, that was nice to hear.

So, what's the answer?

No. Let me qualify that. For the money we both felt that we could have found a better place. We are also the type that like to check out new places and most likely will not be staying in Friday Harbor again. We felt that the room needed some work, and the cleanliness was suspect.

I guess our tastes run more toward having a remote cabin. I bet the third floor rooms are nicer.

Room Tip: I suspect the third floor rooms are nicer than the ground level units.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Agent45
Fox Island, Washington
Reviewed 29 January 2012

What a delight it was to take the ferry over to Friday Harbor and find that the Friday Harbor House was within walking distance from the ferry terminal, near some amazing restaurants, have great customer service and then see our wonderful suite! We had a great view of the harbor from our balcony while enjoying the warmth of our fireplace and the very lovely room. They thought of everything to make this stay perfect. Thank you Friday Harbor House!!

Room Tip: The king room suite is wonderful!!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 28 January 2012

We stayed here two mid-week nights and I haven't felt this relaxed in a long time. Large, understated, well-decorated room (33), with the most spectacular view of the harbor. Moved both of the room's chairs in front of the window, where we sat for hours talking, reading, doing crossword puzzles, sipping coffee/wine. The bed was a little small but very comfortable. Large tub opens into the bedroom and could be closed off by a curtain. Furniture was a little worn but no problem for us. We never heard a peep from any other guests or staff while in our room. Had fun a some local restaurants, poking around the stores, walking the town. But really, with that view it was just so nice to get back to the room and hang out. Great continental breakfast included in room rate. Quiet, efficient staff stay in the background but happy to assist. Walk-on the ferry and this becomes a no-brainer for a stress-free romantic getaway. (Grocery store is just around the corner so it's easy to pick up snacks and wine.)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
7.8 km away
Edenwild Boutique Inn
Edenwild Boutique Inn
#1 of 2 in Lopez Island

Been to Friday Harbor House? Share your experiences!