See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Dick Barnes presents his backyard as a beautiful waterfront campground, which is a lie. It is next to the water but the only water view is small spots through trees, which is fine if he were honest about it. Only one site, campsite G, gets full advantage of this view. His prices are incredibly high for what you get. There are no bathrooms only portapotty. You must drive 5 miles back to the Harbor to get a shower that you must pay for. Not a big deal if you also know this going into it. The picnic table at campsite G, where I stayed was filthy and I had to pick up garbage from my very small not at all private spot. There are 4 campsites all in one small backyard area with no privacy at all. Also, there is no drinking water, unless you like drinking water that smells like sewer water. The water that is there is in someone else's campsite and the trash is in yet another campsite.
Dick also lied about the campground and how busy it is, beautiful it is, and spacious it is. I spoke to him on the phone before going and everything he shared with me turned out to be false.
Also, I was there for my birthday and when a friend of mine tried to have flowers delivered to me there he said that he had never heard of me. When the delivery lady told him the campsite number and that I had a dog he said that there was no one camping with a dog. The same day he left me a note reminding me to keep my dog on a leash. He also charged me an extra $5/day for having her. So he lied to the woman and sent her away refusing to even let her leave the flowers for me at my site. I left the island not even knowing about the flowers until I was on my way home.

I strongly encourage you to go to either San Juan County Park where you can get a full on waterfront experience and see the whales go right by, or Snug Harbor which is the drive way next to Mitchell Bay Landing and has beautiful views, coin operated shower, bathroom, store and better prices. Just beautiful places, both of them. Also, the staff are very kind and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo