“Delicious dinner”

Ranked #20 of 69 Restaurants in Friday Harbor
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 21, 2017

We weren't expecting to find an excellent Thai restaurant in such a tiny town, but we were pleasantly surprised! Although this restaurant is small and seemed very modest, our meal was tasty and authentic and the portions were more than we could finish.

Reviewed October 20, 2017

We eat here three or four times a month because the service is excellent, the food is consistently delicious and the location is perfect.

Reviewed October 11, 2017

A nice little restaurant a half block up Spring Street. We went with a Friday Harbor local who is a vegetarian and loves this place. The smell as we opened the door was amazing. The menu is basically vegetarian and you can add chicken, beef, shrimp, or pork. We had chicken with yellow curry, cashew chicken in oyster sauce, me katee, and wonton soup. Everyone enjoyed the dishes--so good. Very friendly staff. As an Asian, I love finding good Asian food wherever I travel. I'll be returning here.

Reviewed August 15, 2017 via mobile

This place was packed! We ended up getting take out and it was great. It seems the quality has gone up since we last visited. Definitely put it on your to try list.

Reviewed August 3, 2017

The menu says they will make any dish Vegan or Vegetarian, but that doesn't mean the transition will be a good one. I get the idea from some of these other reviews that this place does meat fairly well, but, when it comes to the staples of Asian cooking - vegetables and tofu - the place is kind of lacking.

We decided to come here because we were craving Oriental food, we were craving vegetables, and we were craving tofu. We thought we found it here when we looked at the menu on the door. They seemed to have what we wanted, and we especially liked that they claimed "Any dish could be made Vegan or Vegetarian." We found out what that means. It pretty much means they cook with "Fish Sauce." To make a dish "Vegetarian," they just take out the meat. To make it "Vegan," they take out the meat, and substitute some other sauce for the Fish Sauce. I've got news for them - Fish Sauce is not vegetarian.

Well, you know, that's alright. A lot of restaurants, and a lot of people don't really understand either Veganism or Vegetarianism, or the differences between them. For us, however, we've always seemed to be able to find that Asian restaurants did know the difference, and we were surprised that this one didn't.

We had our dishes prepared "Vegan," but the sauces they came in were unrecognizable. We didn't know what they were except that a lot of garlic was involved. One sauce had like white chunks in it, and both were very, very watery - almost like no sauce at all. The vegetables in both were done perfectly, and we especially liked that they included asparagus. That was one thing they did well. The variety of vegetables on both dishes was very acceptable. A lot of place may only include two or three different kinds. There were at least five different vegetables on each plate, including the asparagus which was cooked perfectly. It was too bad the sauces did not better enhance the dishes.

The real problems for us, (besides the sauces and appearances of the dishes), were the prices, and the lack of tofu. We paid $17.99 for each of our dishes, plus $1.00 extra for brown rice. I know they are on an island here, and things cost more, but we paid half as much for dishes that were three times better on the island of Oahu in Hawaii. I do not believe any review here that says reasonable prices. The dishes we had should never have been more than $12.00 anywhere in the U.S. When I go back home, I'll pay $8.00 for a larger, better plate of Hunan prepared tofu just to get the taste of this place out of my mouth.

Speaking of tofu, I kind of upset me that we paid that much for that single plate of food, and there were only five small pieces of tofu in the mix. I liked that they used the firm tofu instead of the silken, but I was really expecting more of it to be in there. The best part of our dish was the brown rice we paid $1.00 more for.

As for the "heat" index of their dishes, don't worry about it. I ordered a dish they claimed was "three stars" hot, (they offer any heat from 1-10), and boosted it up to six. When I got the dish, I could barely tell there were any peppers in it at all. They brought me more peppers, (which was nice), but even with those peppers, and a good amount of Sriracha, I got the dish almost up to the heat of, say, "Tabasco" sauce. They add heat by adding chopped peppers, but those aren't Thai chilis, or, if they are, they are soft, weaker versions. Back home, I like Szechuan, and I like those chilis. These did not compare. They were not even as spicy as jalapenos.

So, to end on a positive side, there were things we did like. We liked that they had "vegan and vegetarian" options, no matter how shaky those were, we liked that they would substitute in almost any dish, and we liked that they had brown rice. After that, it was kind of a crap shoot. I understand that they need to adjust their product for the varying crowds they serve, and it's hard to please everyone, but they need to spend more time focusing on a more consistent product that appeals to more tastes with fewer changes.

1  Thank ovolacto