“Quiet, comfortable, reasonable price”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of El Rey Inn

El Rey Inn
Ranked #22 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersGold level
Cedar Springs, Michigan
“Quiet, comfortable, reasonable price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

I chose the El Rey Inn because of other reviews on this website and we were not disappointed. The motel is on a few acres and our room was well off the road and very quiet. Our room was very cosy and homey and decorated in a southwestern motif. There was plenty of storage space for our items. The grounds were very nice, with plenty of large trees and bushes to soften the look of the gravel drive. There is a small greenhouse on the property that had plenty of annuals ready to be planted as soon as the weather warms up. We did not eat breakfast there because it was not to my husband's liking, but I did notice there were tortillas with cheese, beans and salsa, as well as boiled eggs, and bread for toasting. The price was reasonable and it's only a short few minutes to the Santa Fe Plaza. I would recommend this motel to anyone who is not expecting bright, new, fancy rooms, but likes privacy, the songs of birds, and refreshing green space.

Room Tip: If you don't want to hear traffic noises, ask for the rooms in the back.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa4275

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Warwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

I have to say the El Rey divided opinion between my husband and myself, I was keener on it than him! I guess in the summer it would be a lovely and relaxing place to stay, but in the winter or spring you might be better off in the centre of Santa Fe, which is beautiful. The El Rey is a bit of a drive to the centre, and parking can be tricky in the evening. The grounds are beautiful, but the pool was closed when we stayed in April and it was a bit too cold to sit outside for long, which was a shame as the room was a little cramped and dark for relaxing in. The bathroom was newly decorated and beautiful with a good shower, although again, tight on space. We enjoyed the lovely hot tub, despite a fierce wind that was blowing! The lounge is nice, but we were not shown around it when we checked in, so didn't really find out about it till the next morning. Service is friendly and helpful especially at breakfast which offered a good selection including fresh tortillas with green chilli - I loved them! There's plenty of info about local attractions available and the El Rey does offer good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room set back from the road if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Southeast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

First of all to be clear this is a motel NOT a hotel. Dating from the late 30's and with numerous additions this sprawling motor court along historic route 66 is something of an enigma. If you are a fan of bright rooms with lots of polished metal and flat screen TV's this place is not for you. We originally booked a queen room (which was tiny) but changed to a king with a fireplace(which was adequate). The rooms are old, eclectic but clean. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The free breakfast is limited but tasty. I spend 12-15 nites a month on the road for business so I see a good cross section of hotels worldwide. That being said I give the following grades to the El Rey: Bed:B/HVAC:C/Shower-Bathroom:D/Noise:A. The shower had one of those water saving heads that feels like it's peeling your skin off while you shower.(hey I'm as green as the next guy but vacation is vacation!).

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back to avoid road noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank flyformoney
Atlanta Ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

We stayed at the El Rey for a couple of nights on our way to Arizona. We have stayed there before, but it was many years ago. Loved being able to walk around the gardens and foot paths that run through the property. Each, nicely scaled section or grouping of rooms reminds you that you are in Santa Fe. While the room we had at first looked like a regular motel room with two queen sized beds, there was an additional alcove with separate sink, closet and dressing area in addition to the bathroom with its own sink etc. I loved the vintage black and white tile, the generous amount of towels, soaps, creams etc., the window that actually opened in the bath room. Right outside our door was a covered portico that ran the length of our one story building with seating in front of each room to extend the feel of the size of the room and to take advantage of a place to read while someone else may be watching TV.

The breakfast was presented with warmth and charm by the long time morning staff; warm tortillas, green chili, hard boiled eggs in addition to juice, yogurt, cereals, English muffins, breads, and fresh fruit, coffee, tea, hot chocolate. On Easter Sunday, the hard boiled eggs were dyed! It is these personal touches that add a lot to a stay here.

The nicely furnished lounge just outside the reception area was actually a place where you might want to be---to read the newspaper, use the computer etc.

You can easily pay more to stay in Santa Fe, but with the ease of the parking, the livability of the room and the friendliness of the staff, I don't think you could have a better experience.

Room Tip: call and speak to the staff directly, the woman I spoke to was very helpful in choosing a room
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CorrineAtlantaGa
Estes Park
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

El Rey Inn -- How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I have stayed here so many times over the years that I cannot number them, however, I love this property. I feel at home here. I look forward to the chocolate covered peppermints in the room, I want to buy the soaps (yes I've taken a few in my suitcase) I like to figure out how to be creative with my hard-boiled egg in the morning. And this year - the hot tub, with the fireplace going and the snow falling - it was so terrific. I am just sorry I couldn't stay more than one night this year.
Thank you. I'm a regular - this is a charming,gracious, historic motor inn. Plus, there is a great restaurant just up the street.

Room Tip: It is a bit quieter if you are away from Cerillos Road - but the property is quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank o2bnfr
Colorado Springs, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

This is actually our second time staying at the El Rey Inn but my first review on the Inn. The El Rey is a GEM of a place to stay. It is roughly 8 miles from downtown - close enough and convenient to get anywhere you would like to go in Santa Fe. The price of the stay, which includes breakfast, is very, very reasonable; the rooms are clean, individually decorated/unique and cozy; the grounds are well maintained and a pleasure to walk around and take a break from the hustle and bustle of the city. Each of the El Rey staff showed "ownership" towards making your stay enjoyable . . . . you didn't get the feeling of "oh I just work here so I have to be nice." Thank you for making our stay in Santa Fe so enjoyable and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mrmoore44
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Charming, clean, comfortable units with a southwestern flavor which would be difficult to beat in the price range. Our unit was reasonably close to a main thoroughfare (Cerrillos Road) but surprisingly quit. Staff friendly and knowledgeable. Close to bus stop and only a five minute drive to the Plaza. Within walking distance of the wonderful Jambo restaurant and very close to The Pantry. Continental breakfast not exceptional but with The Pantry nearby, who cares?

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends