“Pleasant stay in the Sun Room”
other travellers have booked this property
Sun Room lounge area with TV The Sun Room bed
Front of Suitable Digs
Garden and Geodesic Dome Greenhouse
View from the back yard
olive tree greenhouse
small rock-lined swimming hole in the yard!
the swimming hole, artistically.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Mary D
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Pleasant stay in the Sun Room”
Reviewed August 27, 2018 for a stay in August 2018

The Sun Room is adequately furnished in the mid-century modern style with many little quirky touches. There are plenty outlets for electronic gear and WiFi is good.
A large picture window looks out on the pleasant patio. The location is rural and appears to be out of town but is actually within 2-5 miles of practically everything in Santa Fe. I loved staying there and will return.

Your age range 65+
samanth87...
Cincinnati
“Perfect”
Reviewed June 11, 2018 for a stay in June 2018

Lisa's property is immaculate and inspiring. We only stayed 2 days and immediately planned to return. Between the thoughtfulness of the amenities (corkscrew! soft-closing screen door! coffee for the French press!), the greenness (in all senses of the word) and beauty of this chef d'oeuvre, not to mention Lisa's charm, you can't go wrong here. Can't wait to spend more time in Santa Fe at the transcendent Suitable Digs.

13 Jun 2018
Samantha, thank you! And I trust you know how very much I loved having you and Frank stay here, and talking as much as we did. I will very much look forward to seeing you both again, as soon as that can happen!
GregMass
Massachusetts
“Accommodations - The Sun Room”
Reviewed November 15, 2017 for a stay in July 2017
person found this review helpful

I stayed in the Sun Room for four days. It is large, bright, is very comfortable and has a TV and other equipment. There are lots of pamphlets on things to see and do as well as magazines about the area. The cooking area has a complete set of dishes and all utensils and pots and pans needed to prepare meals. Another very helpful detail is there are condiments so one does not have to buy things like ketchup.
Lisa has a wonderful knowledge of places to see and where to eat. In addition to the physical comforts of the room the grounds around the facility are wonderful to stroll around. One also can take walks out into the landscape. I highly recommend the Sun Room and the larger facility in general. The entrance is in the picture below as well as two people taking a walk in the landscape by the whole facility.

17 Nov 2017
Thank you, Greg, so lovely to hear from you! It was a pleasure to have you here, which I think I made very clear!
Meander80...
Novi, MI
“Charming studio apartment in quiet natural area with easy drive downtown”
Reviewed October 28, 2017 for a stay in October 2017

I have to agree with the solidly good ratings this place gets. My young adult daughter and I stayed in the Sun Room for a week and found it to be very comfortable!

We chose this location because we wanted a quiet place. We were concerned that it might be a little far from downtown Santa Fe. The location. however, turned out to be perfect. It was quiet and down a dirt road, which made us feel more like residents than tourists. We both slept well. We also were pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to get anywhere in Santa Fe from there. We joked that any tourist attraction or restaurant we were interested in was about 15 minutes away. There is no heavy traffic going into Santa Fe.

The apartment has a notebook which lists and describes Lisa's recommended restaurants. It also gives directions to the Albertson's grocery stores, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, all (of course) within about a 15 minute drive.

The grounds are fun to walk around and there are many enjoyably quirky things to look at, such as the original 1940s Spartan trailer, a vintage milk box on the front porch and a few cute statues. The gardens are pretty.

The apartment is well stocked with dishes, pans and utensils. It included salt, pepper, vinegar and other condiments, as well as soap and shampoo. We liked that it was easy to compost and recycle. There are also a few New Mexico travel guides and a road atlas in the room, along with an assortment of novels. Both beds were comfortable. The shower was clean and worked well.

The patio area is shared by the Sun Room, Earth Room and the Bunkhouse. These three residences are far enough apart and have thick walls, so we didn't hear noise from anyone else. There is plenty of outdoor seating there and also a dining room sized table in a pretty garden area of the back yard.

A few details for people seriously considering staying here: 1) I wasn't sure from the pictures if this was a one bedroom apartment or a studio. There is no separate bedroom. The large bed is a foot or two behind the couch. However, that worked fine for us; 2) The road leading up to Suitable Digs is a dirt road. I'm a wimpy driver, so I wouldn't have been comfortable driving on it after dark on our first day. After the first day, however, I realized it really was very easy to drive, even at night and even with an economy car. My car got dusty though; 3) I had some problems with allergies the first night. Lisa was out of town, but she had someone come over and exchange the down pillows and comforter for a foam pillow and blankets, which took care of my problem. If you are allergic to feathers, I suggest being smarter than I was and just ask Lisa to switch them out before you arrive.

We had a great trip and I would certainly stay here again. It feels a bit like home now.

5 Nov 2017
Kathi, thank you so much for such a detailed and beautiful review! As I was away and wasn't able to meet you and your daughter, I hope I'll have that chance in the future. I'd like to make just one correction for the sake of future guests: the road leading to Suitable Digs is actually a dirt and gravel road, the 2 materials packed together to create a hard surface. We had a dirt road for decades, and this is our first real road! Also, if one adheres to the stated speed limit of 15 mph, there is no dust.
elliottq
Indianapolis
“Pleasant, quirky, environmental, convenient”
Reviewed March 22, 2017 for a stay in March 2017

Lisa is very hospitable and professional. When we stayed at Suitable Digs she was renting two of her other units as well. However, this created no problems. Lisa clearly has a strong environmental ethic as reflected in the construction of her rentals and her policies. The rough hewn and partly below-ground unit was accommodating and interestingly decorated. The bed was comfy and all was as we would have hoped. One minor concern is the tiny shower. I am 5'9" tall and the shower head came to about my nose. Additionally the shower itself was exceedingly tight space. All quite usable, but for some this may be problematic. We certainly enjoyed suitable digs and found the location to be great for exploring Santa Fe.

6 Apr 2017
Thanks, Elliott, for all that you wrote. I was very happy to have you and Ann stay in the Sun Room for your few nights. I'm sorry you found the shower problematic...Its footprint is 2'x3', constrained in size by the smallness of the existing bathroom, though deemed adequate for one person. And I, too, wish the shower head could have been higher than 5'7", though also not possible with the bathroom configuration. I do apologize for any inconvenience.
Helena C
Huntsville, Alabama
“Great views, beautiful grounds”
Reviewed June 8, 2016 for a stay in June 2016

Terrific place, but we stayed in the Bunkhouse. Heads up, it does have a composting toilet which is different but fine. The toilet has three steps up to it which was not a problem for us but might be for others.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The quietness and serenity of the place.
Liked least: There were ants there but we had no trouble washing them done the drain. Make sure you understand the parking sequence.
Travelling group: Friends
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
10 Jun 2016
It was wonderful to meet you both, Helena!
Laurie P
New York City, New York
“An oasis in the desert”
Reviewed May 16, 2016 for a stay in April 2016
person found this review helpful

I came to Santa Fe to make art and found myself living in a work of art at Suitable Digs. Lisa Sarenduc, the proprietress and owner of this enchanted place, has created a lush comforting whimsical refuge in the desert sand; she extends hospitality with thoughtfulness and care.

For instance, If you are planning a hike there are water bottles for your use, a soft insulated cooler to keep your sandwiches cool and an umbrella in the event of rain; for your morning coffee Lisa has provided an elegant French press. The flannel sheets, plush comforter and down pillows guarantee a perfect night's sleep and, if you ask Lisa, you will find that most of the furniture and cabinets have been custom-made for your lodging. My husband and I had a wood burning stove in our room that took off the chill from the high desert air. Pure unadulterated comfort on the inside.

And on the outside there were gorgeous gardens on the cusp of growing figs and berries and there were fruit trees in full blossom and big tangled bushes of fragrant rosemary and in their growing season there will be flowers and vegetable and dozens of trees just newly planted.

If you happen to be lucky enough to stay at Suitable Digs and don't feel like dining out at one of Santa Fe's many fabulous eating establishments, you can eat in and cook that locally sourced food you bought on Saturday at the Santa Fe's Farmers Market in a fully stocked kitchen complete with sharp knives, cork screws, pots and pans and wooden cutting boards. And you can eat it, weather permitting, under Lisa's pergola at her big outdoor table lit by a dozen globes of light under the stars.

And, did i mention the swimming hole????

Suitable Digs is a magical place imagined and crafted by Lisa who has a magnificently wry sense of humor, an uncanny ability to anticipate the needs of her guests in all their manifestations and a deep tender generous heart.

Suitable Digs is an oasis in the desert.

Go.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
17 May 2016
Laurie, I am stunned and virtually speechless! I am also deeply grateful for your kindness in these words and thoughts, and I believe you know how glad I am to have met you.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing