“Lunch ”

The Famous Plaza Cafe
Ranked #25 of 610 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Southwestern, Diner
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast
Description: Known as Santa Fe's oldest restaurant, the Plaza Cafe serves highly acclaimed, authentic traditional dishes since 1905. Located on the historic Santa Fe Plaza, you won't find a better view or atmosphere while you enjoy an authentic New Mexican experience. The Razatos family keeps with the traditional cooking methods and flavor combinations of New Mexico and additional recipes from Greece, all the while keeping with the classic American diner experience. This is why you'll find everything from blue corn green chile carne asada enchiladas with a warm pillowy sopaipilla to chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and a gyro with a Greek salad on the side. The Plaza Cafe is a favorite among locals and movie stars alike, and everything finds what they are looking for at the Plaza.
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

My daughter and I stopped by for lunch . I thought the meals were a bit expensive but they are in a prime location and have been operating here since the 1970’s so I figured they must be doing something right ! The waitress was a little hard pressed to understand my australian accent and she assumed that we understood all of the menu items which we didn’t but we ordered what we knew a burrito and enchilada and both were amazing . Really liked the free refill of the coffee and the diner type atmosphere of the place . It seats a lot of people and it was very busy but we were looked after quickly .

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank Anntec
Write a ReviewReviews (1,538)

Reviewed April 4, 2018

I told my wife when we in Santa Fe and looking for a place for lunch that the good restaurants are on the side streets, not the Plaza. It is too high rent for basics. I was totally wrong. The Plaza Cafe has it all. Location, excellent food and service and comfortable 1960s style setting. We went back the next day for breakfast and it was equally as good. Sure it is basic and perhaps not a foodie hangout but if you like excellent basics, nice people serving and eating at reasonable prices check it out.
There is also a good story about the Greek who came to Santa Fe and started this business. By the way, my favorite was the huevos with green chiles.
You can save your splurge meal for another day.

2  Thank Tom L
Reviewed April 4, 2018

We arrived on a busy day, full restaurant, but very quick service. Although it's on the plaza the food was very good, better than an average touristy place. We had a variey of foods including several Southwestern dishes. When they say the chili is "hot", do not doubt them. Sauces were excellent, very tasty food. Tres Leches cake was delicious, highly recommend trying it here. The server was not very friendly but provided good service even though he was busy.

2  Thank cpniner
Reviewed April 3, 2018

We went here for a late breakfast in the middle of our road trip across the country. Service and atmosphere was great and food was delicious! I had the "huevos divorciados" and it was DELICIOUS. Highly recommended for a great place to eat in Santa Fe. Also located right downtown across the square :)

1  Thank Brelena
Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

Walking through the door instantly took us back in time to an old-school diner experience. Food was good and prices were fair. Service was okay-waitress was a tad unfriendly but as a whole, the experience was great. Would go back!!

Date of visit: April 2018