“Warm and Friendly Lounge”

La Fonda on the Plaza
Ranked #5 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Williamsburg
“Warm and Friendly Lounge”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My experience with the lounge/bar at La Fonda was fantastic. When I walked into the lounge alone, Isabel Ortiz greeted me with a warm and genuinely welcoming smile. I could tell that she really loves her job at La Fonda. Isabel's inviting smile and friendliness made me so comfortable that I came back to the La Fonda lounge/bar everyday for dinner and delicious Don Rael margaritas. By the way, the nachos and pulled pork quesadillas they serve in the bar are also excellent. Elvira, the other waitress was also delightful with a wonderful smile. I think that a big reason the bar does so well is because of the excellent staff.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
  • Turkish first
Crescent City, California
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The staff made us feel special from the moment we arrived. It was our 20th anniversary and we had a bottle of champagne waiting in our room.
It is an excellent location and our room was heavenly.
Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had a king room with a balcony on the third floor. Very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Denver
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed three nights at the La Fonda the last week of March 2012. The weather was unusually warm. We loved this hotel and will be back. The La Fonda sits in the middle of town, which makes it walking distance to countless shops and restaurants. The hotel lobby, front desk, restaurants give you the ultimate Southwestern experience. We had breakfast in the main restaurant, it was perfect. Even the appetizer plate in the lounge was very tasty. This is an historic hotel, so it may not be as plush and mordern as some of the newer places, but frankly, I prefer that. Things show some age, but that's part of the historic feel. Our standard King room was cozy, with two comfortable chairs, very comfortable bed with lots of pillows, fridge and flatscreen TV. We had a lovely view of the Loretto Chapel out our window. The entire hotel staff was friendly and pleasant. Especially Tommy waiting on us in the Bell Tower Bar, with Leo behind the bar. We will be back for sure.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I enjoyed the room at La Fonda on the Plaza, it was very much what you would expect on the Plaza in Sante Fe. The consistency was a bit off, our friend's room was quite small! And, our room was right next to the elevator which was pretty loud.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Katie S
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I made a reservation at La Fonda based on positive reviews. Initially, I booked a deluxe king room for my husband and me, but then I changed it to a traditional king room because I came alone. When I checked in at La Fonda, they couldn't find my new reservation, only the old one, and they didn't have a king room, only a queen. I reluctantly accepted this and went to the room, which I was not that impressed with. Everything looks a little worn and dated. As I spent a little time in the room, I realized I could hear a lot of noise from the lobby as I was at the entrance to the mezzanine that overlooks the main floor. I called the front desk to see if I could change rooms, and they accommodated me. The second room was even more unimpressive, smaller, old carpeting, a noisy bed frame, and needed updating. I'm just surprised that this historic hotel in such a great location with a good reputation can get away with not renovating the rooms. They definitely have character, but not necessarily in a good way. I would not choose to stay here again. On the plus side, I did enjoy sitting at La Fiesta lounge, having a margarita and nachos while listening to a good bluegrass band. Also, the bell service was very good.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank Katiefromdenver
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 2 April 2012

My wife and I stayed at La Fonda for our 1st Anniversary and had an absolutely wonderful trip. We let the staff know that it was our Anniversary and they had Champagne on ice waiting for us in our room after we checked in. The food at both restaurants was very good, and there was live music with dancing on Friday night, which was a lot of fun. We would highly recommend staying there and will stay there again the next time we're in Santa Fe.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lenae F
Ozark, Missouri
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I stayed at the La Fonda for 4 nights in November and couldn't have been happier with the room, staff, restaurant, and location. I'll be back this summer with my family and will not even consider staying anywhere else in Santa Fe.

Room Tip: Ask for a king room overlooking the Loretto Chapel. Mine had a very nice little sitting area with a...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business