“Good vs. Very Good”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 July 2016

One of the limitations of Trip Advisor's reviewing system is that there is no designation for good. The land that exists between very good and average. In the case of Cho Cho San I simply upgraded to Very Good, rather than downgrade to average to fit the system.

It's a slightly trendier sushi spot in an area with a lot of sushi restaurants. It has a large hibachi section, a lively bar and great seating for dining. I think it's likely the best sushi restaurant in the area for a date, as the decor is fairly impressive and it's very large.

Fresh fish, nothing out of the ordinary great. A very good bar and sake selection though. They have a cold sake that is so good we actually returned in order to be able to have a bottle of it. It is good, it is fun, it's just not the best the area has to offer.

You won't go wrong here, but it does have a fairly safe menu, featuring lots of heavily sauced and primarily cooked rolls. However, there is sashimi and sushi available in a wide variety.

One nice thing is that they have very good wasabi and each diner gets their own ginger and wasabi tray, which is pleasant. They also have moist, lemon-scented, disposable towelettes which give a nice air to the place.

As I said, the best date-night sushi place in the area, if not the best sushi.

Reviewed 25 June 2016

Cho Cho San is predominantly a "teppanyaki" style restaurant where the chef cooks on a grill right in front of you. They make a big deal of the cooking presentation to wow you, but the food itself was only average. Very expensive for what they give you.

1  Thank Lars118
Reviewed 4 May 2016

I visit my two granddaughters in California twice a year, for each of their birthdays. This is their favorite restaurant. They love the "show" put on by the chef cooking right in front of you. No iPad or cell phone needed to entertain young children - just watch the chef. The food is good and so is the service. I have been there about six times and not tired of it (neither are my granddaughters). They make of fuss over the birthday person and take a complimentary picture.

Reviewed 27 April 2016

I have been visiting since they had the rotating sushi conveyor belt. They took that out and improved the interior, and the sushi is still the same. Excellent ! They also have the Beni Hana style place in the corner, which I think starts at Dinner time, check for that, since I have only gone to that part at dinner time, and I never see it open for lunch. It may be on the weekends though, so Call them !

Reviewed 30 March 2016

enjoyed cheap beers but we were a little skeptical about the fish...it made me and my friend sick afterwards