“Worth a detour to visit the Luray Caverns”
Review of Luray Caverns

Luray Caverns
Ranked #1 of 30 things to do in Luray
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The largest cave in the Eastern U.S. where visitors can see such bizarre formations like the "Throne Room", "Giant's Hall", and "Fried Eggs".
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Though the entrance to the caverns is highly commercialized (with the world's most elaborate souvenir shop) the caverns themselves are stupendous. I was mostly overwhelmed by the extent of the Luray Caverns. We walked for an hour, continuously entering into vast new areas. Our guide, Tara, was delightful and very knowledgeable. Upon entering you descend a stairway of about 5 storeys (and those same steps await you at the end of the tour.) But after that the tour proceeds on a smooth and relatively level walkway appropriate for strollers and even wheel chairs for the determined. I regret never having taken my children to these caverns because I think they would be just thrilling for 5-10 year old children. But I loved them, too, and I collect Social Security.

We arrived in time for the 9:30 a.m. tour, which consisted of about a dozen people. As we were leaving, the tour buses were arriving. This would be much less pleasant in a huge crowd, so I'd call ahead and ask about peak visiting hours and try to avoid those windows.

1  Thank FrauReisende

Reviewed 9 May 2012

This is a must-see in the northern Virginia area. Very reasonable fee for such a grand experience. A wonder fo nature discovered by accident many years ago. Gives you chills to imagine someone having the courage to explore these vast caverns.

1  Thank gwgross1
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I have been going here for years, and the beauty of the caverns is indisputable. The guide was good, and the price was good, but it feels a little worn around the edges, and I am sure that the traffic in there could be better controlled to keep the beauty of the site more pristine.

Reviewed 6 May 2012

The caverns are amazing, and much larger than I remembered from having visited as a girl. It is a natural rock formation with poured concrete paths. The tour is over a mile of walking with 65 steps at the end. Well worth the effort. The caverns are natural formations and extremely impressive rock formations. The opportunity to walk around in a natural cave such as this on is not to be missed—nature showing off, and easily accessible. The guide tour is a bit dated, with the old names of the formations, but it is an overview meant to reach many audiences. Our guide was nice and had a sincere interest in caving. The cavern spaces are large, so there is plenty of room to stand away from the guides if you want to have your own experience. The temperature is chilly (55F) and damp—it is an underground cave. The lighting is well done and bright enough for most everyone. The Mystic Lake was our favorite—like a scene from a movie. It also had an impressive (to our teens) scary quality since some of the formations are over your head and look like they might fall on you. Would make another visit since we did not do the maze due to rain.

2  Thank Julia C
Reviewed 4 May 2012

After all the hype about this place, I was petrified it was going to be nothing but an over-priced tourist trap. I was very, very wrong. You are led on a mile and a quarter tour deep into the ground through multiple caverns, all astonishing to see and very beautiful. It was great for adults and would be wonderful for kids. Beware that there are a lot of ramps and steps which can be difficult to negotiate if you have difficulty walking.