Review Highlights
Fast, fun river trip - great for families and beginners

Reviewed July 22, 2018
Mary M
Mississauga, Canada
Internet Special was a win!

Reviewed October 7, 2018
Trip M
Baltimore, Maryland

All reviews canoe trip shenandoah river safety video cooler tube water level life jackets outdoor adventure change of clothes nice trip tubes rapids paddle tubing equipment eagles scenery waterproof
Reviewed October 7, 2018

3 hour river tubing trip with sunshine, sun shower, and sunshine was awesome combination of fun and nature. The internet special also included Luray caverns tour and the Museums. The internet special at Luray caverns tour got us to the head of the line, enabling us to get out of the heat faster for a little while - so nice and cool in the cavern and the natural beauty is so overwhelming even the kids appreciate it. the Tow & Caravan Museums are great little attractions that are not too long for the little feet to stay engaged.

Reviewed September 5, 2018

We made a last-minute decision on Friday to make a Saturday canoe trip down the Shenandoah River. So off we went Saturday morning for a 2+ hour drive to Luray. This has been a wet summer in Virginia, and the river was higher (and had more silt) than it did on our canoe trip with SRO last summer, but the weather was brilliant. A LOT of folks had the same idea as we did: the base camp was bustling, and the bus we traveled on to the launch ramp at Bixler's Bridge was full. The crew was efficient, and we unloaded and launched within 10 minutes of arriving at the ramp, and off we went.

While the river did not have the clear, see-the-river-bed clarity we enjoyed in 2017, the higher river level did add to the current, and we made the 13-mile trip in about four hours. I had to do minimal paddling...it was more steering away from the (very) occasional snag or rock in the river. There really weren't any rapids to speak of...more like riffles over the rocks that might have been more of a challenge if the river level had been a foot or two lower.

Even with full bus-loads of other tubers, kayakers and canoeists, after the first mile we did not see many others on the river until we got to mile 10. Loads of turtles, a couple of jumping fish, and an occasional hawk.

The return trip on the bus to the base camp was the only cloud on an otherwise sunny day. Most on our return bus were part of a large loud/noisy group (co-workers? frat brothers/sorority sisters?) who had been tubing all day while adding to the Coors Brewing Company's profit margin...They were proof again that drunks think they are witty and clever and that EVERYone around them is interested in their shout-outs to others in their group, blah, blah, blah. I'm not sure what SRO could have done...can't fix stupid, I guess.

SRO is a great operation and does a super job getting clients out onto the Shenandoah River. I recommend booking their service!

Reviewed September 2, 2018 via mobile

We booked a rafting trip with SRO and had a great time. The staff was nice and helpful guiding us through the check in process and giving us advice. Our rafting trip was fantastic, we had our 6 and 10 yr old daughters with us and they loved it especially going over Compton Falls. If we go back to the area we would definitely do another trip with SRO.

Reviewed September 1, 2018

This review is being written by my 11 yr old daughter ((( First Time Tubing )))

--- I loved going in the rapids with my tube ! it got filled up with water and was like a tiny swimming pool. We had 9 people with us and my father was the only one with the kayak. He tugged us back to the middle when we started to go near the edges or near trees. Many dragonflies (If one lands on you, it's good luck!!!)

I find the rapids to be the best part. It is like going down a waterfall! Also, the staff was great! I also like how they transport you to the Shenandoah in a retired school bus. It saves hassle with the tubes, canoes, etc. (Not to mention the WALK!!! )

The river is usually 4 feet deep or so, but some parts weren't even a foot deep and some 8 feet deep! But be careful, the rocks are sharp and may damage the boat, tube, etc. ... Get a blue life jacket and party on !!!!!

1  Thank Christopher W
Reviewed August 26, 2018

We rented 3 single kayaks and did the one day trip from Bixlers Bridge to Bealer's Ferry (#1 to #8) an 8 mile / 3 hour trip. I had originally reserved and paid for 1 tandem kayak for me and my wife and 2 single kayaks for our teenage kids but I later received an e-mail from SRO saying their tandem kayaks have a manufacturing defect and they all leak! This was good to know in advance of getting out on the river and they did refund the difference in price. However I was a bit disappointed because it meant my wife would not join us -- she's not much of an outdoors person and would not go in a single kayak so she stayed back at the cabin with a good book.

After checking-in they said that for our trip (#1 to #8) we'll follow the driver to our exit point #8 (the rental office is at #9) park our car there then we'll hop into the van to our entry point #1. Then when we get back to point #8 we exit the river and drive ourselves back to the rental office with our paddles and life jackets, check-out and they'll go pick up the kayaks. I asked the office clerk what about our keys -- she said we could hide them -- well, OK I guess... Bottom line I ended up taking them into the kayak in a zip lock bag I brought along. That section of the river was fairly tame so in the end it was no big deal.

Being on the river was just wonderful. The driver helped us launch gave us some tips and we were off by 11:30 am. We paddled at a slow rate enjoying the view trying to get a feel for our speed and the timing for day. We cruised along thinking that we must have missed seeing marker #2 but we finally saw it. Well now I'm thinking we must be going way too slow so we picked up pace a bit -- until we ultimately saw marker #5 seem to come up way sooner than expected. At this point we just stopped paddling and drifted along and stopped for a little snack break and even snapped a couple pictures a from the cell phone I had in the zip lock bag. We drifted past marker #7 and couldn't miss marker #8. We had no problem exiting the river. We packed up our gear and headed back to the rental office - it was a little after 3pm. Overall we were on the river for about 3 and 1/2 hours. I think if you just drift along from the beginning you'll make it from #1 to #8 in plenty of time. Their website describes this section as "small ledges, gentle rapids... a peaceful quiet trip for families..." It was pretty accurate and we enjoyed every minute of it. Maybe next time we'll do the faster sections.

1  Thank John T
Reviewed August 13, 2018

I had an amazing time on the river, at first it was tough getting on the tubes since the rocks in the river are extremely jagged, however, if you have a strong body core you will eventually get used to it. The staff upon entry was polite and calm.

The only concern I had was when I was leaving the river. There was a young boy gathering the tubes no older than 8 or 9-years-old wearing a confederate flag hat. I have to say that just put a bad taste in my mouth on the way out, and will be the only reason why my family and I may never return to the park. I noticed that the other African American male and female patrons just get turned off when we noticed the young man with a confederate REBEL hat on.

I think this place is cool however they may not want my money. For this and only this reason I give this place a poor rating. - DO BETTER! Loved the river HATED THE HAT!

2  Thank panamax36
Reviewed July 22, 2018

Took my teen and hubby for a rafting trip. Arrived at 11 am, took a long time to sort out costs/prices, safety equipment etc. Got on the bus at noon, in the water before 1 and arrived at the end of our river segment by 2.!5 (time often depends on current of river). Bus was at the exit point as promised and drove us back to our car. Bus was old and rickety and a bit scary. Staff were fabulous, explained everything, very patient, very concerned with safety and answering all questions. We had 3 in our raft, could have had at least one more (two or three if they were children). Great day on the river and good value ($75) for the day. we took food and our phones in waterproof bags. we did not tip but another group did. Really exciting experience - highly recommend this daytrip. A bit tricky to find the place - along a winding road - but easy parking once we were there. We chose a raft but you could tube, kayak or canoe. We chose the short trip but there were other options. last bus pick up is 5pm.

3  Thank Mary M
Reviewed July 15, 2018 via mobile

We did the tubing trip and were very happy. It took about 4 hrs to go from stop 8 to stop 11. I guess it depends on the water level on the day where you start and stop. The water was not moving fast but that was great because we had hours to chat and just enjoy nature. Water is so clear and cool, you can see the fish underneath. I definitely recommend you get the cooler tube and take extra drinks and sunscreen because we got burnt despite liberally applying before heading out.

1  Thank Rachael B
Reviewed June 25, 2018

My family & I did the 3 hour rafting trip during the week. It was so much fun!! Would definitely recommend! Fun for all ages..our kids (4,12,15) all enjoyed it! Bring lots & lots of bug spray, the mosquitoes are terrible! And don't paddle too much I guess. It only took us 2 hours to get to the pickup spot, so unfortunately we had to wait an hour to be picked up. My only regret is that we didn't bring our phones to take pics, we weren't sure how wet our raft would get. Some water does get in the raft, but not that much. I wish they had a staff member taking pictures as you raft, tube or kayak down the river so you could possibly purchase them. Would definitely do it again!

Reviewed June 25, 2018 via mobile

Our family had been looking forward with great anticipation to this adventure. Unfortunately, due to high waters, the rafting was cancelled.
The management made every effort to let us know in advance, but we were outside of cell service. Once we arrived, they were gracious and the refund process was smooth.
On a side bar, they have clean bathrooms, well-kept equipment, and a nifty gift and camping supply shop.
We will try again the next time we camp in this region.