All reviews crock pot bath house the river opened the door tent camping yurts annette tubes electricity campsite wood canoe microwave campers sites amenities mountains
Reviewed July 9, 2017

Stayed a night tent camping (site 3). Absolutely a quality place. Rented a canoe on sight with easy in and out launch. Firewood was waiting for us at our site. Fish right from the shore...!! Bath house is less than 50 yards away, CLEAN, hot shower and amenities. The campground is very well cared for. Looked at the Yurt's ...AWESOME will be back for that experience!!

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank N D
Annette K, Owner at #1 Rock Tavern River Kamp, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2018

Awesome! So glad you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed July 7, 2017

My son and his girlfriend and my granddaughter and myself decided to go to the mountains instead of the ocean or some big city for July 4th this year and we couldn't have asked for a better time down Virginia. We stayed at the new Yurt that sleeps 6-8 people and we had plenty of room. This was the first time I have ever stayed in a Yurt and I was very pleased, as soon as I opened the door, it was beautifully decorated and very clean, there were accommodations that I didn't expect such as air conditioner's, refrigerator, microwave and crock pot, coffee pot and the reason I had know idea of what to expect is because my son took care of all the arrangements and wanted me to just trust that he would make the right decision for the family and he exceeded in every way. The camp sites were clean the grass was cut there was no trash laying around and the area where you can go into the water was easily assessable and clean as well. There was wood at our camp site ready to use for a fire and the bath house was clean and it accommodated my needs. Also the owner of the camp grounds Annette Kibler Cates was terrific, she was so helpful and had everything that we forgot, she provided a floating coolers, tubes, kayaks, and transportation to the river, you name it and she could get for you, she was a GREAT host and she really runs a nice family camp site and my family and I can't wait for our next trip. Thanks Annette..

Room tip: I substituted a Yurt for Hotel.
Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you for an awesome review! Look forward to your return!

Reviewed March 28, 2017

We had adults and children with our group and all had fun in the area as well as at the 1947 Rock Tavern. The house was newly renovated and very comfortable. We had hot dog roasts on the outside fire ring and fun in the hot tub on a very cold day after a beautiful day hiking in the near by mountains. The caverns are breath taking. I left a jacket when we left and graciously Annette mailed it to me. We will return to this place someday.

Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you - so glad you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed December 31, 2016 via mobile

Quite & comfortable - nice nearby hiking and sightseeing at the caverns. Well maintained house and very friendly owner. We would stay here again - anytime of the year.

Enough space for a family and pet too !

Date of stay: December 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family

Reviewed October 15, 2016 via mobile

We booked a 3-night stay in the Hummingbird Yurt very last minute due to the hurricane in Florida, and ended up having a wonderful vacation. The campsite is right on the Shenandoah River with a beautiful view. The temps dropped into the 40s at night, but the heater in the yurt kept us nice and warm. We were happy to have a mini fridge and microwave as well. The bathrooms are just a few steps away, and are equipped with hand soap and toilet paper.

As far as the location, Luray is only about a 10 minute drive away. There is a Walmart there, as well as some good restaurants. It's less than a 30 minute drive to Shenandoah National Park, which was our primary reason for traveling to the area. There's also a place to rent kayaks and canoes that is only a few miles up the road from the campsite.

Overall a fun place to stay and a convenient location to enjoy a beautiful area. We would definitely visit again!

Date of stay: October 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Annette K, Owner at #1 Rock Tavern River Kamp, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2016

Thank you for sharing your experience with others. In addition, we also offer tubes, kayaks, and canoes (rental rates apply) to our guests with complimentary shuttle for an approx. 2 1/2 hr tube trip down the Legendary Shenandoah River back to camp. It is best to pre-arrange for shuttle when you check in or you can just rent kayaks half day and use right in front of camp on river (river is perfect for kayaks upstream there). The outfitters is just down the road -offer adventure thru Compton Rapids (class II). We hope you visit with us again in the future!