All reviews bed and breakfast hosts alaska cruise luggage whales
Reviewed June 27, 2016

This is my second stay at the Ocean View B&B, and I was not disappointed. The house is well located in Sitka, making walking convenient and easy. The rooms are large and well appointed. The hosts are hospitable and friendly. During my stay, the owner's son was running the business and he frankly bent over backwards to make me feel welcome. He cooked some truly awesome breakfasts too. Very happy with my visit and will definitely stay again when I come back to town.

Date of stay: October 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed December 6, 2015

We stayed at this B&B in 2011 and rated it one of the best B&B's we had ever stayed at.
However our stay in September this year was a very different experience and how.
We first approached Carole in early 2015 regarding a booking for September and after a number of emails she replied advising that her husband Bill had died recently and in addition it was going to be difficult to park near the B&B due to road works which were not expected to finish until late 2015. As a result of this she said she would not be opening the B&B this summer but as we had stayed before she said she would accept our booking.
On checking in we found Carole to be not in a very good place as she was still getting over the death of her husband and in addition was having trouble with her eyesight
making it difficult to see properly. She had also had some recent health problems.
We were given the same room as on our previous visit downstairs looking out at the back garden . The room was quite spacious but had fallen into a state of disrepair.
The blinds were broken and unable to draw across the windows, the smoke detector
was hanging by a wire from the ceiling, the basin in the bathroom was constantly blocked rendering it unusable for the length of our stay, and one of the towel rails was missing. On top of this the room was not serviced with bins not emptied, no clean towels, bed not made or floors cleaned.
Breakfast was OK except on our last morning when the bread offered was gluten free, stale and crumbly, the carton of milk was sour and the butter rancid which resulted in me being unwell for the next 24 hours.
In hindsight we would have been better off staying somewhere else as we think in view of her health problems she should have kept to her original advice and not opened during the summer of 2015.
All in all a most disappointing experience and on our last morning her grandson Ky stated that he would talk to his grandmother (Carole) about a discount in view of the problems we had experienced. We followed up our discussion with Ky with an email and to our dismay we have not received a reply, and in our opinion this is no way to run a successful B & B

Room tip: Downstairs With view of Garden
Date of stay: September 2015
6  Thank David B
Reviewed August 31, 2014

The Alaska Ocean View B&B is a great place. I can't say enough good things about it. From the breakfast to the room. Everything was great. The place is spotlessly clean. There was native art to admire, a large bowl with assorted candy bars for those times when you need something to quiet the munchies. Our room was quite large and comfortable.

True to it's name, there is a view of the ocean from the deck off of the living room. I loved it and if my travels ever take me back to Sitka, I will definitely want to stay here.

Room tip: You can't go wrong with this place. I'm not always the easiest person to please, but this place not only pleased me, it exceeded my expectations.
Date of stay: August 2014
Reviewed August 17, 2014

This was a delightful B&B. The room was comfy, great bed. Breakfast was the best - casual and time for conversation with other guests. The view is lovely and we had great chat with Ky.
As an FYI, it requires a walk down the hill to town, but that shouldn't be an issue if you are mobile. If not, there are cabs driven by interesting townsfolk and not too far from a bus stop.

Date of stay: June 2014
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Stayed here at the very beginning of an Alaskan experience and it couldn't have started better. The B&B is stunning and spotlessly clean. All the staff were very friendly and it really was home from home. The breakfast was scrummy and set you up to explore the very beautiful town of Sitka - a real gem. Well worth a walk out of town and our room (well more like a suite!) had a stunning view across to the harbour. Met some really lovely guests - two were actually joining us on our cruise the next day - what a coincidence!

Date of stay: May 2014