“Good hotel, but parking is a drag”

Springfield Marriott
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Springfield
Mass, USA
“Good hotel, but parking is a drag”
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I stayed 2 nights in January for work commitments. I called ahead due to a very late check in time to make sure my room was reserved.

Upon arrival the staff thanked me for calling as their occupancy was 100%. The other person at check in informed me there was a youth group on my floor and if I had any problems to immediately call and it would be dealt with. It was all quiet, but the staff's attention to a potential problem was appreciated.

The room itself was comfortable. I spent little enough time sleeping in it and even less awake there, but it was nice.

The only down side is the parking situation. You have to pay to park in a garage. Mine was pre-paid so I don't know the rate, but the ramps are extremely tight and you need to swipe your room key to get in and out. That's all well and good, but if your room key is not activated for parking (like mine on the first day) and the booth is not manned, then you have to wait for help.

So overall, the convenience factor of being downtown is outweighed by the parking factor. The rooms are nice, but for less hassle there are several other places across the river in West Springfield where there is free ground level parking. The staff was very good however and deserve an attaboy.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PhineusFlog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Rhode Island
Reviewed 9 November 2011

This was our third pleasant stay at this hotel. Our visit lasted three nights. The maid did a great job even left us a little thank you note on our last night. Good size bathroom with great water pressure. Great AC. I have come to love the Marriott towels, sheets, and duvet cover in bright white. Not only is it always soft and cofortable it just always looks freshly bleached which I love. Obvioiusly this is not a trip ment for relaxation and pampering, however it is refreshing that this Springfield location is holding up with the standards I have come to expect from a Marriott.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I stayed here during the sudden October snow-storm and this hotel (like every other hotel) was operating on a reduced staff due to power outages. The staff were super helpful, the room was perfect - fresh, clean, updated, just perfect. The building overall is dated, but they've done a great job keeping the feel of the hotel up to date. One pet-peeve of mine is when you can hear the doors from other rooms way down the hall slamming shut, and this hotel is guilty of that. Noise insulation on the room doors is not good. The front desk and porter staff were extremely helpful taking time to give detailed recommendations about restaurants along with good directions. At $199/night, plus parking, plus internet, I didn't think the value was there, but if I have to come back to Springfield, MA I would stay here again (especially if the rates were more in-line with where I thought they should be).

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank corporatejetpilot
New Providence Island
Reviewed 23 October 2011

This hotel ticks all of the boxes but is just nothing special. Had to have a room with two beds and this made it very cramped. Internet and water in the room was very expensive. The maid did not do a good job and didn't fill up the coffee refils etc. Everything is there but it's just not good value for money.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Brunei110
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 21 October 2011

I was pleasantly surprised by the Springfield Marriott on my business stay. The hotel is in a convenient, central location- the surroundings are not that great, but you can get everywhere pretty quickly. All of the staff were very pleasant and helpful. The rooms were pretty nice for business travel (comfy beds with a little wear on the linens, that kind of thing), and I did not hear any noise during my stay. I would certainly stay here on a return trip.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Met at driveway by friendly bellmen. Treated well at front desk. They put us in a handicap accessible king room. Didn't need the accessibility, but I believe the only difference was the number of grab bars in the shower/tub.
Wonderful bed. Clean, well-decorated room. Good TV. Nice view outside the 11th-floor window.
$14.00 parking, $12.95 internet access, $4.00 bottled water. (I can get all of them for free at the Holiday Inn.)
Midnight-forty. Next door neighbors got very loud partying. Called desk and within five minutes the party was over. Back to sleep.
5:30 a.m. Red light on phone starts blinking (in the darkness you'd have thought there was a police car parked in the room with lights on) and the phone in the bathroom starts "ding-dinging"....Tried everything to get it to stop but it wouldn't. Called the front desk for help and was put on hold. When they came back I explained what the problem was and he said it meant we had a message. He said he'd check to see what the message was, and put me on hold again. He came back on the line and informed me that because we had called the desk about the noise there would be no charge for the parking. I said, "You woke me up to tell me that there would be no charge for parking?". His response was, "I'm sorry. It shouldn't have happened." Click.
You tell me. Would you spend $191 for this room?

Room Tip: Choose a room with nobody next to it and without a telephone.