New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Springfield
newark, NJ
“nice hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2008

We had a nice stay at this hotel. Our room had a balcony with a pond view. The room was clean. Housekeeper and the Frontdesk staff were very helpful. I recomend this hotel..

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2008

We had reservations for for 2 nights.....this was the worst hotel ever..!!! Please believe me...DO NOT STAY THERE..I know when I book a Howard Johnson I don't expect a 4 or 5 stars, but NOT something like that...!!!!!...peeling wallpaper, broken bathroom door, stained sheets, dirty towels, broken door chain, poor housekeeping, didn't bother to change sheets from the previous clients....WE WERE SCARED...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..the pictures showing on the internet of this hotel have nothing to do with the reality.
This place is a total dump....!!!!!!..people at front desk are SO RUDE...!!!!!( I can deal with that)...but the rooms...are SO DIRTY......you don't believe until you see ....
TAKE MY ADVICE.....DO NOT STAY THERE..!!!!!

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING WAS DISGUSTING
  • Stayed September 2008
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Springfield hotels

providence
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2008

Peeling wallpaper, broken bathroom door, stained sheets, dirty towels, broken door chain, poor housekeeping. Didn't bother having the complimentary breakfast. After staying there ( we had prepaid and had no real choice) we were scared to eat there!
Wish I'd taken photos, but who would believe it?!
No longer the hotel that was pictured in the ad.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Dirty
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
oklahoma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2007

The hotel looked okay on the outside, but the room was not well maintained. The window did not lock. the heat did not work, and when I picked up the phone to call the front desk about the heat the phone did not work. The bathroom walls and floor was dirty also different types of hair and soap scum in tub. After I made reservations I drove 200 miles to get to this place and it was truly a disappointment. We work all over the country and my hubby and I never stayed at any other hotel or hojo this bad.

• Liked — close to stores and restaurant
  • Disliked — phone, heat did not work and dirty bathroom
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2007

We stayed at this hotel for one night, and i was disgusted by how dirty it was. There was GARBAGE under the bed (plastic cup, bottle caps, paper and a BELT!). Vacuuming was done at a minimum, there was so much dust accumulated in the corners and under the heater, you just couldn't miss it. Wallpaper was peeling off, mold everywhere in the bathroom, (we didn't use the shower while there, too disgusting) I took pictures of the soap scum in the soap dish and scum running down the shower wall. Couldn't use the phone, buttons missing. We thought that they must have kept this room for 'undesirables', but there were 3 others in our travelling party that rented rooms there at the same time, and they were all dirty. One of the other room's door wouldn't lock at all. One room had the bathroom door falling off the hinges and you couldn't shut it. The real pain was that every time we left the room we had to get the key cards re-loaded because we were locked out of our room, yes, every time. And the clerks looked at us like we were odd because we couldn't get in. What a dump. We were stuck to stay there, last minute thing, we were gone the next morning as fast as we could and found a motel where we could use the shower!

Stayed January 2007
6 Thank tictic
GERMANY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2006

Me and my wife and son stayed here one night in October 2006. The next morning we went for breakfast which took about 1/2 hour. We came back, checked out, drove away and still on the parking lot my wife recognized that 440,- $ were missing from the 1000,- $ we got from the ATM of the bank opposite to the hotel the night before. We wrapped the 1000,- with a rubberband
which was missing when my wife looked into the bag.

We talked to the front desk and explained what happened. The money was in my wife's handbag in the closed room while we were in the breakfast room. So the money must have been stolen from maintenance of housekeeping personel. The woman said she feels sorry about it and said that she does not trust anybody in this place. She called the manager. I asked her to talk to the employees, she did. They said they have not been in the hotel for the time we were at breakfast and that she trusts her employees. I asked for the police and she called an officer who came and talked to the employees and said all he can do is to write a report.

So we were 440 $ lighter. No apologies from the manager. No reward, no free night, nothing.

I will never ever stay in this motel again.

If you don't have another chance than staying here watch your belongings and your money!!!

• Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
4 Thank BJOERN
Nova Scotia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2006

This hotel is easily the worst I have ever stayed in. We were travelling with another family and I booked the rooms - and was personally embarrassed at the conditions which greeted us. The pool was full of bugs, leaves, garbage and God knows what else. The rooms were even worse. Mouldy carpet which looked like it hadn't be vacuumed in a week, rotting floor under the bathtub, rooms smelled like they had hosted an all-night poker game every night that week. - not an environment conducive to travellers with small children. I wrote to the Howard Johnson headquarters office and was assured that they would investigate and I would receive a response from the General Manager of the hotel in question - I never heard back. I continued to write and eventually received an email message saying that Howard Johnson Inc. would be sending me a 30.00 gift certificate. If it's only valid at Howard Johnson hotels, I will not be making use of it - I am through with this deteriorating chain of hotels. This is the second hotel franchised by Howard Johnson that I have stayed in which was sub-par at best. They need to get people out and actually look at these places regularly to ensure that their facilities meet the Howard Johnson standards they claim to have. Here is a portion of the message I received in response to my complaint: "Case# 1901367 "This property is independently owned and operated under a Howard Johnson franchise, and its management is responsible for meeting Howard Johnson standards."" Perhaps a review of those standards is in order.

• Liked — Nothing - terrible facilities
  • Disliked — Lack of general cleanliness
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank Downtown35
Also consider these accommodations in or near Springfield
La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Springfield/Downtown
9.0 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Springfield
10.8 km away
BEST WESTERN Springfield West Inn
BEST WESTERN Springfield West In...
#2 of 17 in West Springfield
10.7 km away
Red Roof PLUS+ West Springfield
Red Roof PLUS+ West Springfield
#5 of 17 in West Springfield
Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place

Been to Howard Johnson Express - Springfield? Share your experiences!