“Not Bad for the price”

Red Carpet Inn & Suites Scranton
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Scranton
Reviewed 12 October 2009

It's a little run down & tired but the price was right. Hot coffee in the morning was just fine.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 July 2009

I am glad the negative reviews I found online did not ultimately stop us from staying here. We were in town for the night for a wedding and didnt want to pay $100+ for the larger hotels. The room we had was clean and comfortable. Everything worked as it should (and we used everything from AC to TV to Shower). At around 11 pm we found the TV didnt have a remote, so we called the front desk and they brought one up immediately. Yeah, the area immediately around the hotel is a little desolate/industrial, but it is not that far from the main strips (its a small city). The pool is not much to speak of (small and only 3 feet deep) so if that is important you might look elsewhere. But otherwise we were more that happy for the price we paid-- $53 total 1 night.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2009

I don't know what these people are talking about. I just stayed there.The beds were very comfortable, the pillows too.The non-smoking room had no smell at all, not even the pillows.The bath was spotless.No mold on shower curtain.The sink was clean and well-supplied with tissue, cups,hairdryer etc. Plenty of towels.It was quiet. I didn't hear anybody.The TV and remote worked great- lots of choices.The lamps and clock radio all worked.Generous pool hours.It's a small pool, but-heh- for the price, how many hotels even offer that?Breakfast room was pleasantly furnished and you could sit outside by the pool.Not a fancy breakfast but you're not paying $300 a night either.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank noroachhotel
Reviewed 29 November 2008

without question the worst hotel I've ever stayed in - cold - dirty - a total shameless disgrace - all websites who book hotels should stop supporting this joke of a motel from using them for a cloak of respectability - The rooms here haven't been renovated or even maintained in decades. The bath is utterly unusable even as a shower for filthy peeling grunge in it - the wallpaper is peeling - I mean I live in hotels - but this has to be put out of business!! If it's freezing in here now - I can only imagine how cold it will be in here in Dec/Jan!! I'm probably just going to check out assuming I can find a replacement hotel - I'm sadly forced to award this dump one star - but it totally doesn't deserve it

Howard Johnson should sue for redcarpet trading on their name too

• Stayed: November 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank dakn
Reviewed 23 November 2008

The Red Carpet is a cheap, centrally located motel in Scranton. I was in town for a week to work on a campaign and I wanted a cheap motel (emphasis on cheap) that was a short distance from the campaign Hq. I researched this motel and the comments were universally very negative. However, the comments were a bit dated and I thought that the motel would have improved over time. I was wrong. I booked the motel for $52/night and pretty much knew what I was getting myself into. The room was not clean. There were coffee stains on the sink and the carpet and bathroom floor were dirty. I have never seen bathroom towels so thin and abrasive. They must purchase used towels from larger hotel chains. The bathtub was old, stained and not clean. I camp, so none of the above drove me crazy. I actually got a kick out of it. For $52 what can you expect. The light and nightstand clock radio did not work. I pulled out the nightstand and uncovered some major dust bunnies. That, and an unplugged electrical cord that was spliced together with wire nuts and unraveling electrical tape. The lamp worked when plugged in, but it was a bit dicey. Having said all of the above, there were only two individuals cleaning all of the rooms and they probably do not have a lot of time to clean each room. The continental breakfast was not great and the only free breakfast that I have ever passed on. On a positive note, the motel was located approximately 100 yards from an absolutely fantastic Irish bar, The Banshee. Over all, the place was cheap and better than sleeping in your car.

Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed 17 March 2008

We stayed for one night, my daughter forgot her special bear. We called the hotel twice once we got to our destination. They would not look for the bear. I figure it is still in the room under the bed. When we stopped back to get it they wouldn't go look for it. I would not go back to this hotel no matter how desperate I was for a room. The hotel also stank badly and there was nasty hairs left in the tub. There was also no access to the internet as it is encrypted and no one could tell me how to get online.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 17 September 2006

Needed a room for a quick overnight stay. This HoJo is right in downtown Scranton with plenty of free parking. Location is a bit dicey as this is not the more active part of town. Not that it's dangerous, just really quiet and desolate at night.

Room was pleasantly decorated. Stains on both upholstered arm chairs. Bedspread was new. Pillowcase had some spots on it. Mattress was old. The TV had a really good picture and there was over 80 channels of cable TV.

Sink was separate from the toilet/tub. OK cleanliness. Tub had a fair amount of mildewy grout and a pathetic showerhead that looked like the end of an old garden hose.

Rate was $65. Was this a place I'd choose to stay at for several nights? Not at all. But on a rainy night when a room was needed, it served its purpose. Still the word "Ick" comes to mind when I think of the various stains, spots and marks. Then again, Howard Johnsons are never known to be all that spotless, so don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
7  Thank BJr970
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scranton
7.7 km away
Comfort Suites
#4 of 10 in Scranton
4.5 km away
Sleep Inn & Suites Scranton Dunmore

Been to Red Carpet Inn & Suites Scranton? Share your experiences!