“Too many Mexican restaurants in this town. ( the good Greek ones disappeared. )”

El Capitan Fresh Mexican Grill
Ranked #118 of 374 Restaurants in Flagstaff
Price range: US$7 - US$15
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Description: El Capitan is a family friendly local hangout for Flagstaff and tourists. We specialize in fresh ingredients only. We have a delicious salsa bar with 5 salsas to choose from made daily! We specialize in TACOS... We have hard, soft or our choice "dorado style". We serve tacos with chicken, shredded beef, pork, fish, shrimp or bean. We specialize in Margaritas! We have our famous "Lily" which is not on our menus. You must ask for this margarita. You are only allowed 2 max! Our happy hour is the best in Flagstaff. Served Tues-Friday. We have a separate food menu for the happy hour as well. Come visit us.. We know that you will not be disappointed. We are closed Mondays from Nov-March.
Reviewed July 24, 2017

I went here with four others from my church on Sunday. Some of them have spoken highly of the food here. I was not too impressed with the Chili Rellenos. ( not very flavorful. ) It is a nice place, and I am willing to give it another try. They seemed shorthanded on this day, but our cheerful waitress tried to keep up with her tables. ( I have waited a few tables in my time and hesitate to criticize servers. ) Prices in Flagstaff restaurants seem rather expensive these days, with the high sales tax and the increase in the minimum wage.

Reviewed May 5, 2017 via mobile

This is one of our favorite restaurants in Flagstaff. The fresh salsa bar offers a variety of flavors with varying levels of spiciness. In addition to traditional Mexican dishes, there is always something unique available as the special. Sometimes we feel like pairing a cold beer with our meal, but more often we opt for the special Organic Margaritas. El Capitan's owner is almost always "in the house" checking in to make sure that you have a great dining experience.

1  Thank Jackie M
Reviewed February 27, 2017

The food is good and the ambiance is cool. The people who worked there were very nice and welcoming. We were greeted when we walked in and they remembered we were there, the service was excellent.

Reviewed February 20, 2017

This restaurant is way below average. The food was just plain bad. We took the food, mind you $30.00 worth, and fed it to the dogs. They liked it, we could not eat any of it. I wish I would have checked tripadvisor before sitting my butt down. To think I could have eaten anywhere else for that same amount of money is depressing. The waitress was sweet, but she needs to find a new place to work at, where the food is good. We were also overcharged by $8.00, that is the reason you only got tipped $4.00 honey, when you have a chili rellano and beer special, and your customer orders that, and you charge them for the meal and extra for the beer, that is just plain sad. I will never go back, and I hope you will go someplace else for a good meal. This ain't it.

Reviewed February 13, 2017

I've been here several times in the past and have thought it's okay. Nothing to write home about but they made a great margarita. It's been quite awhile since I've been back so we decided to give it a go last night. The prices have gone up substantially with the raising of minimum wage. I was really disappointed by the lack of quality. Fajitas don't sizzle, tortillas dried out and crumbly, chips tasted as if they were straight from the bag. If you're going to charge me for chips, I expect them to be fresh and warm. I was on the fence but this trip confirmed, I will not return.

Been to El Capitan Fresh Mexican Grill? Share your experiences!