“I Am So Ashamed I Passed By for 5 Years!”
Review of Pasto - CLOSED

Pasto
Price range: US$22 - US$22
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 17, 2016 via mobile

There are three things that make Pasto my new favorite restaurant in Flagstaff (in fact, I went twice for lunch in three days):

1) The back patio is beautiful! Aspens, a fountain, shade, and the occasional sparrow create a welcome respite from the crowded, noisy sidewalks of downtown. I first brought family, and a business meeting the second time, and it was very easy to relax and de-stress. I can't wait to bring my honey for a romantic dinner.

2) The truffle maccheroni. Wow. It is a special, and I will be devastated if it is not incorporated into the regular menu. The pasta offerings in general are nice portions with unique touches to traditional flavors. I'm not sure I will be able to enjoy Olive Garden again after eating here. I have been spoiled with a glorious dish that was only $10.

3) Wednesdays have an all-day happy hour, meaning a number of nice appetizers are only $5 each. The fried oysters are the best I've ever had, and since I grew up on the Chesapeake Bay, that's really saying something. The fried eggplant with ricotta, red pepper, and basil was heavenly. I am not a fan of fries, but the Pasto Fries with Truffle Aioli were out of this world. The Cheesy Garlic Bread should definitely fill your monthly quota of roasted garlic, but skip the marinara as it is more like sour ketchup. The calamari was really good too!

Pasto is definitely my new spot! I always overlooked it because the menu posted by the door is so generic, but the things that make Pasto stand out are very much off the menu.

Reviewed July 16, 2016 via mobile

Pasto has a beautiful patio out back that makes it a lovely place to dine on a summer evening. Service was good. Food was mostly very good but the price was pretty expensive. Caprese salad was very good as was the meatball appetizer. Shrimp scampi was expensive but just okay. Chicken Parmesan is made with smoked cheese which was spelled out on the menu but didn't seem like the best combination. Tiramisu was very good. Still trying to find a restaurant in Flagstaff that blows me away.

Reviewed July 6, 2016

I have been here many times iver the last six years because the patio is a very nice spot for lunch. The food used to be good,not great,but it is slipping further. The BLT with avocado had one slice of bacon broke in half and it was not cheap. The wine glass they served my savingon blanc in was thicker then a coke bottle. Lastly the silverware was too hot to touch. Clearly it shouldn't be sitting out in the sun.

Reviewed June 2, 2016

We stopped by for lunch for our daughters birthdays. The food was outstanding and when our waiter heard we were celebrating our daughters birthdays, he discreetly took us aside and asked what they liked. Two girls, two different likes, not a problem. He brought them EACH a dessert (full sized) and they were AMAZING! Will definitely return!

Reviewed May 29, 2016 via mobile

We aren't the type of couple that goes out to eat, then orders the cheapest thing on the menu. We always order several courses, as we did at Pasto.
The first sign of trouble was the fact they did not have any unflavored mineral water! That's all I drink when I am driving, so I was stuck with tap water.
The first course, eggplant and portabella fries, was the highlight of the meal.
The arugula salad was passable, but the nuts were not toasted. The Caesear was large but un-flavourful.
For the main course, we ordered the steak special and salmon special. Unfortunately, they brought us two steaks, where one of us doesn't eat beef.
The steak was nicely done and flavourful, but very fatty even for a porterhouse. I could eat only about half of the steak, the rest being fat and gristle. The sauces and potato with the steak were good, the bearnaise good enough to make me wish the steak were a filet.
I was done with my meal by the time the salmon arrived, and it wasn't good. It may have been rushed, but the salmon was actually cold and raw in the middle, and the polenta was bland and had no texture at all.
We were interested in the cheese plate, but at $10/cheese, getting a plate with 3 cheeses would have been $30! We didn't even consider cheese because of the price structure.
The meal cost $165 without wine! Way too much! Way, way too much!